Adventures in Jogging

Xervello

For those who don't know me (what, I'm not famous yet!?) I have SAD (I feel like I should be standing up for this story) and am a recluse. I hardly ever leave the house. But I'm a huge exercise nut. With a shy, nougaty center. And jogging in public has always been embarrassing, therefore a no-no. But I have tried on a few occasions. Let me re-enact my last experience with it and perhaps some of you can relate. Or laugh. Whichever is helpful. :)

For me, I don't like being seen by others. So when I have tried going for a run I always do so at night in the early morning. Around 3, 4 a.m. I live in a tiny suburb in the country. So once I get past a few rows of houses I'm able to get to the backroads where I can jog along alone where it's just me and my overactive imagination. Seriously, try jogging down a deserted country road at night where it's pitchblack except for a thin, sliver of light from the moon above. It's spooky! But first I have to get there. Which means I have to jog past a couple blocks of houses. And unfortunately almost every damned house has a dog in the yard. So naturally anything that moves sets 'em off. Which makes me wince. I'm so paranoid about disturbing others, waking people up, people peeking through their windows at me thinking, "who's that creep?" that I don't even begin running until I hit the backroads. I quietly walk, the bulk of my weight placed on my toes with each step, until I reach the last house. And then vroom! I'm off! I take off in a cloud of smoke...

...not really. There's still a few, distantly spaced houses on the backroads. So I'm still a little paranoid about the whole disturbing aspect. As well as paranoid that a cop car will drive past, flash their light in my eye and inquire, "son, don't you know it's 3 in the morning? What are you doing here? What are you running FROM, hmm?" Okay, that might not happen, but I'd still get a look from them probably. So, being paranoid about making a lot of noise, I limit my breathing which makes running difficult. And then wouldn't you know it... MORE dogs. Apparently this one house down the road from me just built a kennel for cute, lil' pooches. So as I run past the house they start barking. ALL of them. And I'm thinking, "oh lord" and make a scrunched up face (while I put my breathing on mute) as I pass. So about 100 yards later, the dogs finally shut up and then I realize, "oh crap, I'm gonna have to turn around and go past AGAIN." So, yeah. Fortunately no house lights turned on. The few cars that passed didn't swerve into me and knock me into the ditch (which is always my fear) and I didn't see a single soul throughout the entire morning. And still... it was awful. I was too anxious to enjoy the run (not that I ever enjoy it, but you know what I mean) and still replayed certain moments over and over in my head once I got home.

Is anyone else this comically mental? For your sakes, I hope not. Anyway, as nice as the fresh air is I settle for the indoors. I use a high intensity combination routine for cardio. It's more impactful than running, actually, but still there's nothing like fresh air and the sounds and smells of nature. By the way, a few times jogging down the backroads I'd hear noises stirring in the woods nearby. Not only am I avoiding people, cars and barking dogs, I'm also paranoid about bears, rabid coyotes or werewolves. Those could exist, you dunno! Honestly though, if it weren't for people I'd be outside 24/7. I love nature. It's a shame I can't enjoy it. *Sigh*

hidwell

Good post, although I don't jog I totally understand all of your emotions. Life just isn't meant to be easy. :rolleyes:

lol!! realy sometimes our anxiety makes us do weird things on which we laugh after doing ...
i hav same anxiety issues whenever i go for a walk or joging my mind makes feel tat as if everyone out there just woke up n came all way long there just to stare at me jogging n this thing stops me from enjoying the mmorning coz of which i came out of my den ..
and i had a incident with dogs aswell once i thot tat i will go for jogging early morning n i had to cross(literaly i hav to crosss) tons of street dogs to reach to my favrt place for jogg... u r lucky tat there is no street dogs up there coz along with barking they tore ur ass also .. hmmmmm

gustavofring

Yeah I had the same thing.

Anxiety (people are staring! omg!) or thoughts like "Christ, there's people everywhere! Why can't they just go away!" made my breathing and heartbeat irregular and made it very hard to run in public at decent sunlit hours.

I go to a gym now and it's been easier, but still sometimes I hate being at the opposite of someone on the machines. I don't know where to direct my gaze at.

Xervello

@1BlackSheep: do your dogs have SAD, too? :-O Actually, I have a black lab myself. I'm definitely pro-dog. But they're louder than a cat (iz awl I'm sayin') ha ha.

@hidwell: indeed. :rolleyes:

@shahnawaz: street dogs were one of my fears, as well, lol. Especially in the country where people sometimes don't chain their dogs because of the seclusion. So I'm running along and thinking, "what the hell am I gonna if one starts chasing after me? I've been running and I'm bleeping tired, I probably won't get far!" - ha ha.

Xervello

Oh, and gustavo, I lurve your avatar. TDKR is gonna be epic!! I keep watching the one trailer (semi-spoiler alert) where Bane says, "Gotham, this is your liberation!" - his voice/accent is so awesome! Despite what anyone else says. Haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate! :D

LazyHermitCrab

That sounds like a really nice trail :) the most awkward thing about running like you mentioned is fear of running into ppl. Thinking should i say hi? don't say hi? or wave? I try to say hi. Also sometimes someone might start trying to talk to me about my dog. i'm thinking i just wants to enjoy the nature with my pup no chit chat :p so welcome to the forum.

1BlackSheep

@1BlackSheep: do your dogs have SAD, too? :-O Actually, I have a black lab myself. I'm definitely pro-dog. But they're louder than a cat (iz awl I'm sayin') ha ha.
Well, one of them does take fluoxetine - for reals! ::p: Let's just say my house is not known as "Casa de Crazy" for nothing! :D

Xervello

@lazyhermitcrab: that's why I'd run at night, to avoid running into people. But I run into trees instead; cuz it's dark! Sorry, lol. No, I agree. Talking with strangers is awkward. Though I do try to say hello if I pass someone, yet it takes up all my courage just to do that - as sad as that is. The neighbors on either side of me are nice though. They sometimes initiate a conversation, and I courteously try to make my way though it. But then afterwards I'm thinking to myself, "wow, what you said was so dumb. What they must be thinking of me!" Even though I realize they've probably forgotten all about it. Still, that's how my brain rolls, yo. Ack. By the way, what kind of dog do you have? And what's its name?

@1BlackSheep: fluoxetine. Is that an anxiety medication? Does your dog bite themself a lot or have separation anxiety of some kind?