A walk in our shoes.

pandamonium77

I passionately hate ignorance. Especially towards people with 'disabilities', such as ourselves. I know a person who hates anyone who is different. He's homophobic *and proud*, hates everyone with depression because immediately they're emo to him, and hates people with any other disorder. The only thing he doesn't hate is ADD, because he has ADD
But to all the other people out there that hate us and tell us to get over it, I would love it if they took a walk, even a single STEP in our shoes and feel what it's like. Maybe then they will understand, maybe not. But I want them to get a taste, and then criticize and judge.

danstelter

Your friend sounds like he is quite a bastard. Not all people understand our problem, but not all people condemn us for it either. Don't blame other people for not understanding either, but do blame them if they refuse to listen. You and I don't understand what it is like to have ADD. Give other people a chance and remember that you can choose your friends. Choose to be friends with people who are willing to listen and understand and choose not to be friends with those are unwilling to listen and understand.

Electric Muffin Machine

Dude what a moron. Being homophobic and proud of it makes you nothing but an idiot, so that is at no ones expense but his own. To be afraid of gay people, wooww are they REALLY that scary?? I wouldn't call any of things you mentioned disabilities though. You pretty much aren't going to be able convince someone like this to think otherwise. He sounds like he has such a set idea on things that no matter what you do or say, he will always think he is right. That is what judgement is all about. And if this person if your friend??? Don't be friends with them!!! Sometimes it's best to just not fight with people like this, afterall that's what they want isn't it? Oh my god I have no idea what I just said.

Tiercel

Re: Electric Muffin Machine

To be afraid of gay people, wooww are they REALLY that scary??

Psyche, you have no idea what it's like to be a guy and think that another guy might possibly want to screw the crap out of you. It's really frightening! And now gays want to be treated like everyone else and allowed to get married in a purely legal sense of the term! I'm sure that somewhere down the road that will severely interfere with my ability to screw the crap out of my wife. :eek:

All sarcasm aside, I'm quite secure with my sexuality. And I can't see myself marrying a woman (or a man for that matter!) solely for the purpose of making little versions of myself. So what my neighbors do that doesn't directly affect me has no real place in my worried little mind.

Thinking about it, though, I wish there was a friendly gay couple living next door. Then I wouldn't have had to chop up and put out all those cherry logs by myself.

(Wanders off with visions of Monty Python's lumberjack song playing out in his backyard)
Lumberjack Song

mndigi

People, and in fact all animals in general, are selfish. That's how nature evolved on this planet. There's not much you can do about it but try to change it, and failing that laugh that you know more than the selfish person because you know the reason why he is selfish. Ironically, in laughing you will attend to your own selfishness/ego :rolleyes: