A.v.p.d VS S.A.D.

ChrisBcrusty

Does anyone know the differences between Avoidant personality disorder and social anxiety disorder? I am trying to start by figuring out exactly what I have, Both of the disorders describe me very accurately. Maybe I have a little of both?..

jellzzz

Avpd is al little bigger than sad, in my opinion. Because it is a personality disorder it effects your whole personality: your way of thinking, feeling, acting, everything. It is most of the time more complex that sad, and harder to 'cure'.

The disorders have a lot in common though, I also feel like I maybe have both, so I don't really know.

dottie

Most anxiety disorders have a lot of overlap. Actually, pretty much all personality disorders do. It is silly to try to pigeonhole people into little boxes.

I really like this:

In many shamanic societies, if you came to a shaman or medicine person complaining of being disheartened, dispirited, or depressed, they would ask one of four questions.

When did you stop dancing?

When did you stop singing?

When did you stop being enchanted by stories?

When did you stop finding comfort in the sweet territory of silence?

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experienced the loss of soul.

Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves.

Lavinialuna

I agree, lots of overlap. I think social anxiety is the fear it's self, but avoidant personality disorder goes deeper into how much you avoid, how it effects your ability to function, and how serious it is. I should read into that because it's interesting to myself as well.

bsammy

a person can be suffer from avpd but their actual social anxiety not be that high..avoidance pd is a personality disorder so hard-wired into someone that its basically impossible to shake loose, at least in my experience..my avoidance is very high but social anxiety is on the lower side..my avoidance is so severe that i dont really understand the reason for talking to people anymore..i really dont understand the purpose behind casual conversations..

imo a person with social anxiety could be quite successful and outgoing but someone with AVPD, its not going to happen..

ChrisBcrusty

a person can be suffer from avpd but their actual social anxiety not be that high..avoidance pd is a personality disorder so hard-wired into someone that its basically impossible to shake loose, at least in my experience..my avoidance is very high but social anxiety is on the lower side..my avoidance is so severe that i dont really understand the reason for talking to people anymore..i really dont understand the purpose behind casual conversations..

imo a person with social anxiety could be quite successful and outgoing but someone with AVPD, its not going to happen..

That makes sense I feel the same way. I fear rejection, but its only because I reject myself for being fake. I feel like I never developed my own personality so how can I ever love myself. I have to force small talk and yeah me too It is not entertaining in the least which makes me feel like I have no soul. Maybe this would prove that I don't have AvPD, But I feel outgoing only when someone can relate to this. I long for friends yet I cant find anyone I can be real with.

ChrisBcrusty

I agree, lots of overlap. I think social anxiety is the fear it's self, but avoidant personality disorder goes deeper into how much you avoid, how it effects your ability to function, and how serious it is. I should read into that because it's interesting to myself as well.

I agree. I hope you conclude that you do not have AvPD. Nobody deserves things to be any worse than social anxiety lol.

ChrisBcrusty

Avpd is al little bigger than sad, in my opinion. Because it is a personality disorder it effects your whole personality: your way of thinking, feeling, acting, everything. It is most of the time more complex that sad, and harder to 'cure'.

The disorders have a lot in common though, I also feel like I maybe have both, so I don't really know.

Yeah feels pretty freakin sad doesn't it. Me as well, AvPD more than SAD. I feel you. I think if somehow we were able to acquire a few genuine friends who love us unconditionally it would help IMMENSELY, but I long for friends so maybe that's just me.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I made a thread about this years ago, I'll link it here because I think there are a a lot of good replies and links about them on the first two or three pages (after that it is dominated by a silly argument) http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/avpd-vs-sa-29019/

I haven't thought about it in a while, but a major distinction I've always noticed is the physical symptoms. I've always resonated more with AvPD, and never had extreme physical symptoms of any sort. I won't say any more because I don't feel well versed on either disorder any more, but I encourage you to read some of those replied to the thread.

ScaredToBreathe

As others have said, SA and AvPD overlap. Many people have both, but usually one is more severe than the other. I have severe SA but to a lesser extent feel I have AvPD.

SA: anxiety around people and in social situations, fear of being judged, fear of talking or just not being able to find your voice when you try, can enjoy having friends but are afraid they may end up in social situations or conversations that trigger their anxiety even with people they want to be around.
Ex: may go out somewhere but keep a low profile and hope no one will talk to or notice you; put on ear phones/have cell phone out/not dressing conspicuously so that people will think you're busy or won't recognize you.

AvPD: avoiding social situations altogether at all costs and as often as possible, avoids being around crowds or lots of people, can have friends but may avoid returning their calls or opportunities to hang out, and experiencing intense anxiety in uncomfortable situations that were unavoidable.
Ex: avoid going out altogether because you don't want to chance experiencing a social situation, or may take a different route that's out of the way instead of taking the route that most people are on in order to avoid crowds.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I've just been diagnosed as having AvPD (2 days ago).
AvPD is basically when SA taken root in the person for quite some years, manifested itself deeper and deeper.
It's at the more extreme end of SA.
Treatments for SA and AvPD are almost exactly the same.

I was told over the years that I had SA, but to me it seemed a little more than that. Or at least the diagnosis wasn't 100% on target.

I did a lot of online self testing, it always indicated I was POSSIBLE AvPD.
So I asked my Psychologist about it, we did some testing and...I am indeed AvPD.

So if you think you may be Avpd, there's no harm in asking the people who would know.
I say 'people who know' because I'd mentioned it to people who are not trained in diagnosing it (my family doc for example) and they basically dismissed the idea without much thought.

Kiwong

When my anxiety is bad the desire to avoid becomes stronger. Avoidance is like an outcome of my anxiety.

bsammy

I think it is a matter of degree, but one way I'd describe the difference, and it's a pretty crude description, is that many folks with SA would find doing a presentation at work extremely challenging and would likely feel deeply uncomfortable before, during and after it, whereas someone with AvPD would more likely quit their job rather than do the presentation. With SA you're constantly having to deal with social challenges - with AvPD you're having to deal with having a limited life.

I can relate to this. I get very confused by the whole concept of communication at times, but then if I isolate myself for too long I start to get depressed. I think one of the cruel contradictions with AvPD is that you're trying to avoid people whilst also feeling a need to make contact with people. It's frustrating.

yes, i also find that it doesnt seem to matter how long i know someone, i dont seem to form close bonds with them like others do..i dont really long for company much, im very introverted which only confuses me more with avpd..am i avoiding people because of my introversion and desire to be left alone or because of my avpd...

yes, i believe we all need 1-2 people that we truly connect with but i have found that with AVPD, maintaining relationships of any kind is an uphill battle which gets much harder with age..with just standard social anxiety i can see people having a small circle of friends..

bsammy

and yeah, depression of some sort usually always follows avpd which just makes it that much harder to deal with...