A shut-in

ljwwriter

Does anyone else feel like they've gotten to the point of being almost a complete shut-in? I only go outside of the house to go to the mailbox most days. Sometimes it feels like I'm forgetting what it's even like to be truly alive. I don't even feel comfortable walking to the mailbox to be honest.

Yeah, I am pretty much feeling like that now. I haven't even stepped outside for over a week now. I feel too uncomfortable to step outside right now. I don't know what I feel anymore, I just sit here all day, everyday, doing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

recluse

Apart from the need to go to work i feel like i am afraid of going out. I'm mostly shut in my own mind though.

hbanana11

I can't even go in my own yard for fear that a neighbor will see me/talk to me. I really would like to go outside (its sunny) and go on a walk or something but EVERY time i go outside i see someone from school or something! I hate it!

Ken

Yeah, I've become a shut-in also. It really sucks to not have a social life. :(

autumn_82

When I'm at home for the summer I do become a semi-recluse, only leaving the house to go jogging. Otherwise, I stay here all day, and it gets extremely tedious. It makes it worse when my brother's home, and always out doing things and seeing friends, as it reminds me of my own strange state of being. Shit.

The Rolling Stones said:
Hey, what am I doing standing here on the corner of
West 8th Street and 6th Avenue and...

Ah, skip it.

Nothing. Keith! Watcha, watcha doing? (whistle)
Oh, I think the time has come to get out, get out

Get up, get out, get into something new
Get up, get out, into something new

Ooh! And it's got me moving (Got me moving honey!)
Ooh! And it's got me moving

My my my, my my my, my my my, my my my, my

Poor man eyes a rich man
Denigrates his property
A rich man eyes a poor man
And envies his simplicity.

Get up, get up, into something new
Get up, get out, down into something new

Ooh! and it's got me moving

Yeah, get up, get up, get out
Into something new
Yeah, all, woncha all, woncha all, woncha all
Don't stand accused....

Schmoo

autumn_82 said:
When I'm at home for the summer I do become a semi-recluse, only leaving the house to go jogging. Otherwise, I stay here all day, and it gets extremely tedious. It makes it worse when my brother's home, and always out doing things and seeing friends, as it reminds me of my own strange state of being. Shit.

I live with my sister and she's very outgoing. I react the same way - feeling ashamed, when I watch her leave the house to go out or when she's talking on her cell phone.

Avoidance

Yeah I've been there for awhile now. It really sucks. Getting the mail is like an adventure after I get the mail I feel like I just went sky diving or somthing (I never gone sky diving of coures). It's funny when a member of my family ask if I can get the mail I'm like (No I just woke up and ate breakfast I'm not ready to get the mail now!) When people don't understand I do feel embarrassed and ashamed. I try to explain it to them whats it's like, but it's not easy.

CK23

I get the shut-in thing... I've had the same experience and i still dont go out too much... When i was in my teens it was so bad that i stayed at home for days on end.... But on the positive side it gets better with age... As you grow old you dont feel as upset about being isolated as you do when you're young... the reason i say this is that i have experienced it... I am 23 now and even though i am still very lonelly i dont feel as panicky as i did before...

ripewithdecay

Well, I like to be home a lot anyway. I have a bunch of hobbies that I enjoy in my private space (music mostly).
But when I don't leave the house for a few days it really really really drives me nuts, and the only way to feel better is to take a walk, which usually helps.
I don't care as much about what people are thinking when i'm out.
The hardest part for me is seeing beautiful women outside, it makes me feel horrible about myself.

CK23

I also feel horrible when i am around beautiful women... there a number of them in our office staff and i feel like i've been knocked out cold when they are close to me.. It's also got to do with the fact that they are all not only beautiful from the outside but also from the inside..

faithnomore

Banned
CK23 said:
I also feel horrible when i am around beautiful women... there a number of them in our office staff and i feel like i've been knocked out cold when they are close to me.. It's also got to do with the fact that they are all not only beautiful from the outside but also from the inside..

Its so awful being around decent women, because 99% of the time they are already taken. They know they are great, and it makes us guys feel inadequate.

caitlynx

Without my job, I would never leave my apartment. The weekends are hard. Sometimes there will be no food in my place and I still can't get myself to go buy some. Or even order delivery, cuz then I'd have to face a delivery person.

ripewithdecay

caitlynx said:
Without my job, I would never leave my apartment. The weekends are hard. Sometimes there will be no food in my place and I still can't get myself to go buy some. Or even order delivery, cuz then I'd have to face a delivery person.

Omg, yeah, the pizza guy is scary ain't he?

I get worried too that one of my neighbours will come out of their apartment just as im paying for it.
Like, who the hell should even worry about crap like that?

I do.

caitlynx

ripewithdecay said:
caitlynx said:

Omg, yeah, the pizza guy is scary ain't he?

I get worried too that one of my neighbours will come out of their apartment just as im paying for it.
Like, who the hell should even worry about crap like that?

I do.

Same thing here. My apartment buzzer is broken so I have to go downstairs to meet the pizza guy, which means a chance to run into neighbors in the hallways, and I get so scared of that.