14 year old daughter starting ionto

ukchick

I wondered which machine would be best for my daughter but to be honest money is an issue.
I would appreciate any advice,thanks

HH

I use the idromed 4 GS. I brought it a few years ago for about £200 I think, its a lot of money for a what it does (heck, xbox 360 is around that price and look at what that can do :) )

Seriously though, its a good machine. Stay away from the drionic as it doesn't treat the whole hand/foot...it may be cheaper but I don't think its a good buy.

Hope this helps.

ysh

Buy one with pulsed current as it is comfortable in the way that you don't have that feeling of itchiness or pins and needles. I guess most devices are direct current though. Hidrex PS and Idromed PS are pulsed current devices, but can be switched to direct current if you want to.

Anyone know of any other pulsed current devices?

ukchick

Thanks for advice. I decided to go with the Hidrex 500,not sure why but they actually sent me the upgraded 1000 one.
So far so good,looks complicated but is fine once you get used to it. My daughter is so thrilled,she's finding less and less time of sweating throughout the day.
She has used it every day for the past week,fingers crossed, she will be dry very soon.
Just couldn't stand by any longer watching her getting so depressed over her hand sweating :)

ukchick

I did have to pay £500 for this machine but will be worth every penny if we keep getting good results.

Sprawling

I'm happy for you and your daughter. Hopefully she achieves 80-100% dryness. I wish I had a machine when I was her age. I had horrible palmer HH till I got my Fischer Md-1a 6 years ago. You will probably see a transformation with your daughter.

ysh

Looking promising! Another week and it is possible that the sweating is under control. By the way, it is common to see an increase in sweating after the first week. This usually last for a couple of days, and then all of a sudden the sweating stops! It's so good to be able to wake up in the morning, and knowing that you will be sweat free the whole day no matter what! Happy that you got this device for her, daily stuff that most people take for granted will be so much easier from now on...

ukchick

Really appreciate your support.
I had the op when I was 16 as I felt so depressed over my hand sweating,I'm just so pleased I can do this for my daughter especially as I know what she's going through.

ukchick

Any advice please. My daughter's been using the Hidrex now for at least 4 weeks,every day for 15 mins and hasn't had much improvement.
She's tolerated the pulse rate up to 90% but can only manage a voltage of 9.

She's using voltage 20 on her feet but same again,not much improvement in them either. I used the same settings as her for my feet and after 2 weeks mine are dry.

Would appreciate any ideas,thanks

HH

maybe your daughter is overdoing the treatments and the voltage is too high. It sounds silly but sometimes less is more with ionto. Remember-you are older than your daughter so what works for you may not work for her.

When I started ionto I started off doing two weeks of daily treatments for 10-15mins each day at 10-12 mA and then cut my treatments down to twice a week (30mins each treatment).

Maybe get your daughter to go a few days (3-4) without ionto (I know it will be tough) and then do a treatment for 30mins and then go another few days without doing ionto and then do another 30min treatment. Unfortunately it sometimes takes time to figure out a routine that works, you just have to be patient and try different things.

ysh

Since you used the same setting for your feet and it worked for you the water can be ruled out. Sometimes the water can be a problem. That is good!

I got the advice to continue doing treatment every day until the desired level of dryness is achieved, and then move on to maintenance treatments. Got this recommendation from the German reseller of Hidrex (unless you get blisters etc).

I believe that time and intensity (current or voltage level) is a factor. Either increase the time or increase the intensity I would say. 9 volts does not sound like much, but with an increased treatment time it could work. Personally, I would prefer increased intensity as it is quite boring sitting there with your hands in the water. But then again we are all different and the same goes for sensitivity to the current.

Also make sure that your Hidrex is set to pulsed current instead of direct current as it is far more convenient. In fact I don't feel any discomfort when using pulsed current. Direct current is something I prefer not to use.

There is also a sense setting that you can enable. Reading from the manual it says the following about sense: "When SENSE is active, decreased setting apply to power output, maximum current, and current slope. This function was designed for sensitve patients, children, and for treating armpits and face."

Now you have got some advice, and as you can see some say less intensity and I say more. Given that, it's all about patience and experimentation finding out what works for you.

Last edited:

Sprawling

I agree with the experimentation idea. I've been doing treatments for years on direct current and I personally find higher current, longer time works. I'm still adjusting my treatment to my ever changing body. The settings that work today, may not work tomorrow.

ukchick

ysh- you mention increase time or intensity.We are using pulsed current and my daughter feels she can't tolerate more than the 9Volts she's been using.

The Sense setting sounds a good idea,I will have a look.

She has decided to try taking a break for a few days and then continue the treatment but we can't really judge how effective that is because she's not in school this week and that's when she sweats most.
I really appreciate all your help-everyone.
Thanks x

ysh

Another thing that crossed my mind, how much water do you put in the trays? I use 750 ml (approx. 26 ounce) for my feet and hands. That is enough to cover my palms and the water level is not reaching my fingernails.

The current will choose the path of least resistance, and if the water level is too high most of the current will go through the skin on the sides or back of your hand since the skin is thinner. If you haven't already, try lowering the water level to a level where the palm is covered in water, but not the back of the hand or fingers.

If more than 9 volts is a problem try increasing the time to 20 minutes.

You will know when the treatment is effective cause you won't sweat at all in any situation, no matter the stress level or not even when you are exercising.

Hope you and your daughter see improvements soon, cause it will really help with self-confidence not having to worry about sweaty hands. I have been free of sweaty hands for 9 or 10 months now for the first time of my life thanks to a wonderful Hidrex device.

Last edited:

HH

A way around the pain is to put really cold water into the trays, this seems to take away some of the stinging sensation when the voltage is turned up.

etsveteran

Hey ukchick you should contact Markus at Hidrex support. He has helped a lot of people who were not having success. Some people get better results with bottled water! Good luck and keep us posted.

ukchick

Thankyou
I emailed Ionto Centre, where I purchased the machine, at the end of September, I got a response from Scott. He advised trying to increase current and that 7-9 Volts would be quite low. My daughter is comfortable with a 9 volt setting,she really doesn't feel able to increase this.
I just thought by posting on this forum it may be better advice as people have actually used the Hidrex machine.
Thanks again x

ysh

I bought my machine from Markus in Germany. Not sure if I am allowed to post links to other website from here or not, but his site and support forum is here: Index - Excessive Sweating

Support is free for his customers, but other ionto users can pay a one time fee for support as well.

If I recall correctly he is an ionto user himself, and he also got children that is using ionto. So I believe that you could get some good advice.

As you say this forum is a very good place for support as well, and I think you have got some advice to try out.

Can you try increasing the voltage 1 volt at a time, and then start treatment for 1 minute at a time. That way she can try an increased voltage for a short time and see if it is tolerable for her.