Worrying about the unknown

elleklobber

Is anyone like me in that, you might be going out shopping with people you dont know very well for instance. Or some other event that you have to go to.

Whereby, you spend days, maybe even weeks worrying about it beforehand, and then when you are actually there, its nowhere near as bad as you imagined it would be.

I was worrying about a party that happened a few weeks ago. I had known about it for months and had been worrying for months and as the days got nearer to it, I was really panicking. Then the night of the party, once i was in the venue and had got some alcohol down me, I was ok and actually enjoyed myself.

Are others like this too? Sometimes now when Im nervous about an event, Il tell myself that its not going to be as bad as what I imagine its going to be like. But it still doesnt stop me worrying about it though, but I know somewhere deep down inside me, it wont be as bad on the night.

Also if Im doing something one day Im nervous about, Id be worrying about it pretty bad the night before, but then the morning of it, it never feels as bad. Maybe because the sun is usually out and makes you feel happier. Things always seem clearer/happier when you wake up in the morning, I think

Kamen

I can relate. When I have to do something which is related to going out, meeting people, etc. I feel like it's a deadly threat. But once entered the situation and revealed the unknown, I start to calm down. We are simply not confident that we can handle different situations and when we see a proof, we calm down. Now we need to root these proofs deeper in our minds.

As for what you wrote - that things look better in the morning: that's why I prefer to do things in the morning. Going out in the morning, after sleep, is not so stressing for me as it is in the afternoon - it's my worst time for going out. This is normal for two main reasons - we are in low beta waves and our body is regenerated after sleep.

Last edited:

lyricalliaisons

Well, I very rarely ever go anywhere with people I don't know, or know for that matter. But nearly every time I do go somewhere, nearly anywhere, for nearly any reason, I find that it was no where near as bad as I had built it up in my mind to be.

I get that feeling all the time!

Most of the time i just brush it aside... because history has told me that I generally do have fun and nothing will go wrong. But if i'm having a shit day and just not feeling very confident...I let get to me a bit and occasionally I get paralysed by it (by paralysed I mean , moping around the house, doing not much except too much overthinking). If i catch myself feeling paralysed by it... I try to go for a run to get the endophins pumping

roseycheeks

elleklobber said:
Whereby, you spend days, maybe even weeks worrying about it beforehand, and then when you are actually there, its nowhere near as bad as you imagined it would be.

I was worrying about a party that happened a few weeks ago. I had known about it for months and had been worrying for months and as the days got nearer to it, I was really panicking. Then the night of the party, once i was in the venue and had got some alcohol down me, I was ok and actually enjoyed myself.

this happens to me all the time. sometimes, when i'm really odubting myself I end up cancellling work. usually the guilt of the decision leaves me feeling worse though, and I manage to convince myself that im weak/lazy etc.

I think that's the problem with avoidance, it preserves your original belief's about yourself.