Work, career and SA - 'success' stories?

Waybuloo

I've never had really good experiences at work, and I've worked in fast food, a pharmacy, department stores, small offices, big offices, even a cleaning job for a mad woman for some desperate cash. I'm ashamed to say that i've not been able to relax or get on well with coworkers in any of my employments, to the point of creating awkward tensions and always getting people asking me why i'm so quiet.

My first ever job was at age 15 and from uni to now I have been a casual/temping on and off for about 5 years. Obviously there are those of you out there with SA, mild or otherwise who have been able to hold down a job and even be quite good at it. So, what is your secret? How much does SA get in the way of your performance and bonding with coworkers? What are your strategies. Have you been able to overcome some SA in the duration? How much do you chat with people on a daily basis and how do people feel about you?

Mucho appreciato!

Something that I find is quite helpful is to really get 'into' the job you're doing. I was once an assistant to the pharmacist, mainly to organize medical supplies for the hospital. I really got into the 'I'm helping the patients' mentality and that gave me job satisfaction, regardless of what my few colleagues may think of me.

When I was doing a civil service job that I disliked, one way I coped with was to simply game a lot and spend time thinking about games... sort of like an escape... not very healthy, but that was my coping mechanism at that time.

Yeah.. I've never really relaxed in any job... so I guess for me, it's just a matter of trying to cope.

Feathers

Hey Waybuloo, I don't really count as a 'success story' (yet?) there was this one time they really wanted to hire me permanently (small office) because of my personality/character (!) What I was doing was reading a lot of books on social intelligence and communication and applying the stuff in communication! :) I also mostly loved working there.. (I wanted to pursue further studies and finish my previous ones so I stopped working there though, it was just a bit too much all together... There was a misunderstanding there later on too, I wish I were brave enough to clarify it earlier on, didn't go about it the best either.. stuff to learn from..)
So that's a possibility to pursue.. I can post some of the books, already posted some elsewhere on this forum..

I got on okay with co-workers in a later job, the staff was quite 'famous' for being great staff, and they really were.. We chatted in breaks or had lunch with a few that sat near me.. Some also gave me lots of tips/advice.. The trouble were the kids though, some of the classes.. I was unprepared for the reality of that lol..

Some other jobs went more or less well or bad, depending on the situation.. It also depends on the people there a lot.. If someone before you had troubles with certain people, it may be a red flag.. (so it's good to ask what it's like if you know anyone working there, before you accept the job or even apply)

Otherwise, I haven't found a job worth keeping yet..

Hope other people post more secrets! :) I've seen some had quite a success or at least survived well in the positive thread and elsewhere on forums!