will you tell your family you have depression?

will you tell your parents you have depression?

• I will in the short term

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Collar

I had an appointment today with a doctor for a physical problem I have (aside from my SAD and depression issues I didn't tell my parent about).. a few months ago I went to other doctors for the same physical problem, it's kind of hard thing to diagnose, so doctors have been indecisive about it.. one of them suggested it probably has a mental original cause rather than being a physical problem (although the symptoms are physical now).. the other one was sharp and he kind of read me in a glance and told my parents straight that I look depressed

at the time I explicitly refused to approve what they were implying, so they don't overlook the real reason of my condition and mistook it for something else, because I knew what I have has to have a physical cause.. I just know

it seems my parents don't know what does depressed mean.. they didn't comment on the word and we haven't talked about it.. there is a very bad stigma attached to mental illnesses, so I don't know how would they react if they knew for sure that I have been on and off with depression all my years as an adult, IDK what they really know about the issue itself either ..

so today when I had to go seeing the doctor my mom took me by total surprise, she stopped me to tell me that when I talk to the doctor I should try not to look so quiet and gloomy and try to be more 'happy' so he doesn't mistake my problem with mental issues like the other doctors did.. I was in shock she mentioned 'depression' by name, but was still able to put a poker face in front of her

she didn't want other people to think I'm depressed.. that left me confused and in total shock.. IDK what does she know about depression and I'm sure that if she knows about it it would be just a short, distorted, and inaccurate version.. but the thing is it doesn't make sense to assume she knows that I'm depressed (whatever depressed does mean to her it doesn't really matter as long as she at least has heard of the name of it).. so she apparently see me look like a depressed.. talk like a depressed.. and behave like a depressed, but she couldn't figure that I am depressed?

I'm quite sad because of that.. all people have figured that out but they couldn't.. all sign are present in front of them but they wouldn't..

does anyone here think I should come out of my shell and just say the word yes I'm depressed and I need help, in spite of the stigma and the ignorance and everything?

sometimes I think I could have saved 10 years if I stood up and just shared this with whoever cares.. I'm trying to imagine what would have happened.. IDK..

easier said than done anyway.....

EDIT:
the attached poll is public
I also hope you could explain the reason behind your choice

Last edited:

Collar

I've just realized that I need to quit my job

it has become so much fearful to me.. I can't handle it it's now a dead end

the problem is I can't

I think I might have just done it if it wasn't for the fact that I have to explain myself before my family

Apersonalan

It's very common to not be able to share your feelings with your family if your depressed. I don't tell them anything and act like a detached jerk on the phone which at times can be my only communication with them. See your GP and get your problems documented this was much easier for me to show my parents this way rather than tell them myself.

Kiwong

I have told my family. However, both my parents are dead. I didn't tell them, my father was dieing, and I couldn't worry him with the news that I had a mental illness.

Felgen

I told my parents about my social anxiety and my depression right after I got diagnosed; I also told them when I felt that I didn't have anxiety and depression any more. They don't know anything about my Asperger's diagnosis, though--and I'd like to keep it that way.

Collar

I have been in severe depression for weeks now and this last one was triggered because of my job.. I'm just fantasizing about life where I can get rid of any horrible and stressful job and just quit.. would've gotten out of my depression at least.. fantasizing is all I can do

today I had a nap and woke up in terror of life and future, panicking, depressed.. it occurred to me at that moment why do I have to suffer in silence.. I know I'll always suffer alone but for the sake of what do I keep quiet

if I could just answer the question: what difference would it make if I tell them?

Collar

with every passing day I become even closer to the idea of telling my parents about what I am going through because of depression.. I don't know if this is right or wrong.. I know once it's done it can't be reversed, but I'm that desperate..

I'm thinking what should I do:

- should I tell my older brother first trying to guess how my parents would react?.. he lives currently abroad but we're in contact

- is anyone of you aware of some videos about depression.. educational, personal stories, whatever that could help?

- do you have some personal stories anyone can share when you first told your parents, or if you haven't done it how do you imagine yourself doing it?

I appreciate greatly your inputs

Solitudes_Grace

I will not tell anyone in my family because I do not want any of them to treat or think of me any differently than what they do now.