Will Medication + Therapy + Exposure guarantee getting SA to a very manageable level?

Atari82

Im only 15 and I do go to therapy which barely helps and I'm much to scared to go out for exposure thinking something really negative will happen, I also get teased at school a bit and it really is harming my life. So my question is will medication, therapy, and exposure combined help in decreasing my SA to a very low level?

Any Experience stories will be appreciated too.

lyricalliaisons

Especially at your age, it definitely seems like it will help. The younger a person starts treatment for their problem, the better. Good Luck :)

goldenholds

I can only think that any help I might have received when I was younger would have helped to get my life on the right track earlier and easier. Even if it doesn't seem to help much now, anything you learn or discover now, will be with you to draw on for the rest of your life. Think of it as like a tool box that will provide some tools you can use to live your life. What you are doing now is basically starting to collect tools. The more you can collect and learn how to use effectively the better, they may all come in handy at some time. From someone who didn't have that opportunity, I'd say stick with it if you can.

agoraphobickatie

if you believe it will, then i'm sure it can help you! you can't think negatively because your body just takes that right off the bat and says "oh.. okay... yep.."

the thing is, everyone has their own little thing that works for them.. there is no real answer or strategy set in stone that says "THIS WORKS!".. but, if you do try, there's just no way that you won't see progress, it's all about the work that you put into it.

exposure has reeeeally helped me.. i was just like you, i didn't want to do it because i was afraid something really would happen, but it never has.. you HAVE to force yourself to get out there or you never will, you have to take that first step. i found that after i just started making myself get out of the house and deal with my anxiety in public places, eventually (after time), i started just doing it and then i'd stop and think "hm.. how come i'm not panicking right now? weird.."

it's so lame, but from my own experience, i cannot express to you how important positivity is.. our entire mind and body really reacts to the stupid little negative thoughts that are in our head.. but you learn that it's the same with positive thoughts (although it is a little harder). best of luck :)