Will I get found out?

SilentAndShy

Hi,

I've started a new job recently and after being in post for over a month, I had a few days where I really felt I would be found out by my new colleagues.

I like to think I interview well and perhaps that gives an impression to others that I'm this confident person who is the type of person they want to employ.

But am I? I look at my predecessor work and contemporaries in my roles elsewhere and think I'm nowhere near their level.

But, I decided to leave my job because a) I wasn't being paid enough b) my manager was unhelpful at times c) the team dybamic was awful with schisms in the team.

And I don't have that here. So I should put that into perspective. I can only think that I need to "fake it" act out who they want me to be and hope that it works?

And also try and get better on the things I'm not good at (but they think I do) and hope it's not bad.

Any advice appreciated

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
By the sounds of it you've weighed up the pro's and cons of your previous job with your new one and thats a good thing. Being in a toxic work environment is awful. I think you've got the right idea about learning as you go on this new job. I reckon most people do that anyway. Whats the old saying, 'fake it 'til you make it'.

Focus on becoming competent in your role. Become good at it. You'll earn respect in the work environment and it helps lessen anxiety in the workplace if you focus on your role.

Good luck :)

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
Just try to stay calm and be objective about your performance.

Your anxiety will make you feel insecure from time to time, just remember that everyone has their doubts here-and-there, and that your thoughts and feelings about your aptitude probably don't have any correlation to your actual abilities. You can be nervous AND good at your job, it may even make you better; try to see your fear as fuel for being precise instead of a distraction.

Ask someone you trust how they think you're doing if you need a reality check, they'll probably tell you that you're doing great.

Phoenixx

I started a new job a little over a month ago as well, for much of the same reasons you outlined. Like you, I appeared cool and confident in my interview, but in the actual job I've been pretty silent. It surprised my boss how quiet I actually have been in the workplace. Social anxiety aside, I naturally am I quiet person. I prefer to focus on my work 100% and not waste time filling the air with words. My coworkers have been fine with this and I've been complimented as being a hard worker.

I also haven't shied away from my cautious side or my difficulty of being a more social person. This past week I've been learning a new part of the job where I actually have to be quite social as I have to encounter several different people in a day, plus make phone calls to other departments about test results. The first day of this particular job was extremely nerve-wracking to me. There was no hiding this and I just rolled with it. I told the few of my coworkers that have been training me that I can understand how to run every test and work with every program I have to (I'm a lab technician btw), but the social side of things is extremely difficult and I'm not that good with other people. I have found that my coworkers that are closest to my age are more responsive of this and are much more reassuring about my anxieties. It helps they've been highlighting what I'm good at and continuing to work with me with what I'm not so good at. This has put my anxiety at so much ease and honestly the social parts of this particular job haven't actually been too bad! So if your coworkers are decent people, they'll accept you as you are, help you out, and you shouldn't have to expect to "fake" anything.

Looks like everyone else here hit the nail on the head. Lots of good advice here. If ever in doubt about your performance, definitely ask your boss for a review if they don't already offer them throughout the year. Don't think you need to fake your personality. If you ever get that impression or are even straight up expected to fake something, that's not a good fit and the culture probably isn't good either.

SilentAndShy

Thank you - I have regular catch-ups with my line manager who is very bubbly, overly chatty sometimes, and she hasn't relayed anything I haven't been doing wrong so that's a positive. The work is more intensive than my previous job and that's enjoyable but I still feel like I could come up short if they realised I'm not the finished article but just working towards it. I just need to find the time to read, watch, learn on things I should know about so I can speak more confidently when I get asked.

I have to say the whole organisation is brilliant in terms of people - very welcoming and friendly. I'm opening up a tad when in meetings compared to before and even though it has been virtual there does seem to be a sincerity to their behaviour.

SilentAndShy

I had a meeting with a few of my colleagues and I was disappointed in what I contributed from a creative point of view. I felt the ideas my colleague gave were the ones I should have been giving - subsequently leading to thoughts around that's perhaps what my colleague was thinking that I would deliver those suggestions - and she's probably being super helpful yet I feel inadequate.

I don't know if it's a new job settling in and I've not grasped what the organisation does thus ideas creation is not there yet but just having a period of low self-confidence (again) in my work setting.