Why does "sociability" triumph everything else?

tooshytosay

Here's an example:
There is someone with an IQ of 70, but is very "chattable".
Also there is someone with an IQ of 200, but is "unchattable".

Who do you think will get more done in society?
Who do you think will be more "acknowledged"?
Who do you think people will "care about" more?

The IQ 70, but chattable, person of course. Absolutely no doubt about this.

And this is what I dislike about society.
Though I used intelligence as an example I think it's illustrative of a broader injustice:

The only !@!@$$# thing people seem to care about in today's world is how "sociable" someone is. How well they can so-called "connect" (at a superficial level, of course) and talk to other people.

These qualities triumph all else. 7 Virtues of old? Pft, replace with sociability. Intelligence? Replace with sociability. Wisdom? Replace with sociability. Loyalty? Replace with sociability. Technical skill? Replace with sociability. Devotion/dedication? Replace with sociability. Insight? Replace with sociability.

Yeah that's right. Somehow I was born into a world where the only thing that seems to matter is how "sociable" you are.

I reckon there are many people out there whose unique qualities are grossly under-recognised, simply because they are not "sociable" enough. People who would otherwise make great contributions to society, but this sociability thing holds them back because that's the only thing society seems to care about. People with whom you could have great relationships with but never get the chance to because they come off as "unsociable" in the first place.

Funny world we live in huh.

tooshytosay

Humans are social creatures, always have been always will be.

Yeah I don't mind people valuing sociability to an extent. But I don't like how in today's world it shovels everything else into oblivion.

Are we not intelligent creatures as well?
Are we not creatures that can value other things as well?

If not, well, there goes my faith in humanity. But then again I cast this aside a long time ago anyways.

Aussie_Lad

The real you, the soul, cares little about recognition. The want to be recognised as being valuable is only an egotistical thing. All intelligence (IQ, EQ, SQ etc) are important, and if you find yourself extra strong in one area then you need to learn how to use that intelligence to benefit mankind. Do this and you are on your way to leading a great life and will be remembered, even if the fame only comes once you are gone.

I don't like how in today's world it shovels everything else into oblivion.

Sometimes I wonder if our respected historical figures would be held in high esteem nowadays, if they had to make speeches on television and deal with constant media pressure to be witty and give good soundbytes.

Ignace

I lost my faith in humanity a while ago tooshytosay. We need to admit humans are cruel, retarded, selfish and all those things. We only seem to be nice/care about friends, but other people don't seem to care anyone. Offcourse like everything else: there are exceptions.

fitftw

nobody really gives a damn about anyone but themselves. It's all fake to me. The handshake in the business/job world is one stupid act where how firm you shake someone's hand says what kind of person you are.

Just give me an office. Do not ever bother me. Do not ever yell at me. Or I will give you a taste of my thought process and how I feel about life and all its pointlessness.

I could write a book-sized post as to why it happens, but I won't. I'm too lazy.

The problem is that people don't communicate through direct thought. First we speculate, then investigate, compare evidence, conclude, translate into sensible language, then share the thoughts and hope the person/people across from us understand(/s).

If we were able to directly share the speculation, investigation, comparative processes (and the conclusion, of course), we wouldn't need speak as much (if at all). It would make things ALLOT easier if we could communicate telekinetically.

Last edited:

Dionysus

"As a general rule, it may be said that a man's sociability stands very nearly in inverse ratio to his intellectual value; to say that "so and so" is very unsociable, is almost tantamount to saying that he is a man of great capacity." - Schopenhauer

DanFC

"As a general rule, it may be said that a man's sociability stands very nearly in inverse ratio to his intellectual value; to say that "so and so" is very unsociable, is almost tantamount to saying that he is a man of great capacity." - Schopenhauer

In my experience, that's not true.

I know someone who had a full ride to Harvard (in fact, they pay him), and another with a scholarship to Yale. They were both a bit weird, yes, but they could socialize with anyone and were the highlight of any conversation. Even where I'm going now, some who I know are much smarter than me are often the life of the party.

Of course, I'd say the proportion of those with little sociability is much more apparent in those with more "intellectual value", but I don't know of any real correlation via published articles.

DanFC

The real you, the soul, cares little about recognition. The want to be recognised as being valuable is only an egotistical thing. All intelligence (IQ, EQ, SQ etc) are important, and if you find yourself extra strong in one area then you need to learn how to use that intelligence to benefit mankind. Do this and you are on your way to leading a great life and will be remembered, even if the fame only comes once you are gone.

Where do you get this idea that recognition from others is only an egotistical thing? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'd like to know.

DanFC

I lost my faith in humanity a while ago tooshytosay. We need to admit humans are cruel, retarded, selfish and all those things. We only seem to be nice/care about friends, but other people don't seem to care anyone. Offcourse like everything else: there are exceptions.

Why are there exceptions? I don't think there are any, if indeed humanity is as you say.

Aussie_Lad

Where do you get this idea that recognition from others is only an egotistical thing? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'd like to know.

The soul only cares about one thing, and that is developing the ability to love all other souls unconditionally. This last word is the hint that it does not care about recognition. When you love all others with all of your heart and do not care about what you get in return, you are spiritually advanced.

Illusions

I'd be rich if I had a dollar for every job listing I've come across looking for "outgoing" and "sociable" individuals. It's disgusting, it's as if a lack of sociability is some kind of plague.

coyote

I'd be rich if I had a dollar for every job listing I've come across looking for "outgoing" and "sociable" individuals. It's disgusting, it's as if a lack of sociability is some kind of plague.

No - employers are trying to run a business.

They can't very well have all their employees run and hide every time a customer walks in the door - or worse, be rude to the customers. The business would fail.

They're not recruiting for a special club - just trying to make a living.

Illusions

No - employers are trying to run a business.

They can't very well have all their employees run and hide every time a customer walks in the door - or worse, be rude to the customers. The business would fail.

They're not recruiting for a special club - just trying to make a living.

That might be true but I've seen "looking for an outgoing, sociable individual" for jobs not even pertaining to customer service or sales. It's as if not being outgoing is a serious disability. Besides, people who aren't sociable or outgoing might very well be capable of serving people too.

Edit: I forgot to cite myself as an example. I may have a lack of social skills but I had no problems talking to customers in my previous job.

Last edited: