Why do people stop taking medication?

Argamemnon

I don't know much about antidepressants, but I wonder why people usually stop using meds after 6 months or so. I would think that if you stop taking meds, the levels of serotonin in your brain turns to its previous level and you will be depressed again? What's the point of using meds then?

chris87

I'm guessing that for some people their circumstances may change. Something that was causing depression or other types of anxiety may have subsided. Of course, in the case of SA, this doesn't happen often, if at all. Another reason could be the side effects. Maybe other people think that they are in better shape than before and can maintain their new frame of mind without the medication.

Argamemnon

True, if necessary I would like to use antidepressants for the rest of my life, however, what if I met a partner in the future? If you want to have a sexual relationship you have to stop taking these damn pills.

recluse

I stopped taking my meds back in April because i was fed up of feeling that i was reliant on them to feel normal. Then a few months later my anxiety started again and i had to start on my meds again.

Helyna

You're supposed to be on meds for a certain amount of months, decided by your psychiatrist, during which time you get going on another kind of treatment, usually CBT. Then, you're "weaned" from medication. The point is that by this point, you have some of the skills you need to handle anxiety yourself. The meds are to get you started, put you on the path. They can have severe and/or counterproductive side effects, and you really don't want to be on them for the rest of your life.

KurtG85

Thats why, if you want the continued benefits of medications, you don't come off them (unless your depression is event related and not chronic/genetic). There are a variety of reasons people stop their meds from misinformation to perceived societal pressure to stop them (even though this is near non-existent nowadays). Also, our societies demonization of illegal drugs and the irresponsible, uneducated associations med fear mongers frequently make between psychiatric meds and illegal drugs. Not that there is anything morally wrong with using illegal drugs responsibly either, although they certainly aren't good for maintaining a balanced mindset.

Most of the time you do not have to come off meds to have a fulfilling sexual relationship for both partners. There are many treatments for this if you are having this problem and it is ridiculous to attach this problem to all users of anti-depressants.

Most meds do not have severe side effects nor any long term damage and I for one sure as hell do want to be on them for the rest of my life. I thank god I am blessed to live in an age where these advanced treatments, while still flawed, exist. If I weren't on them I am near 100% that 'the rest of my life' would have concluded years ago.

Most people, (and almost all people who have no experience with meds or only one or two experiences with meds that happened to go very poorly for them) including myself, at one point go through a period of self doubt, fear, or confusion involving their treatment with meds. After all, the unknown is scary. Most people realize after a month or two that it is silly to be so self conscious or fearful of meds. They realize that the effects of meds are not so horrible or so wonderful as they may have been led to believe and they simply start dealing with the positives and negatives they present.

Emma

I've been on and off them since I was 12, thats ten long long years, I try and stop taking them, but I end up feeling like I have no control over anything, I don't know how to live without then...maybe its because I've been on them so long :(

spaz

Yeah I have always thought that was strange. If you have a biologically based illness and meds help, then you should continue taking them.
And most anxiety disorders are biologically based. If they weren't, no medication would work!
I have read posts by lots of people who 'stop taking meds because they feel better and they don't need to take them anymore'. The reason why they feel better is because of the medication, so it seems stupid to stop taking it.

jenniferchristy

Medication should not be stopped as soon as you relive from depression.But

usually people stopping this habits.Then only levels of serotonin in your

brain will be stable.