Why are you shy ?

Atlantis

Why exactly you are shy ? Why exactly do you get intimidated when you have to talk to people ?

I was wondering and I think in my case what I fear is people being malicious. I think everyone is often being malicious, and I tend to protect myself from that. I do not fear if people think I am wrong about something, I fear they would do jokes or be malicious.

I wanted to know if that is the case for you people too ? Maybe all shyness are about fear of people being malicious. If not, so what exacly do you fear ?

Are you afraid that people want to humiliate you too, or there is another reason ? I ask that because I don't trust people a lot, but I´ve seen shy people who doesn't seen to be untrustful of others and see people in a very friendly way, but they are still shy.

stardog

Learning from a young age that no-one wanted to listen to what I had to say.

People glamorize shyness, but really it's just lack of self-belief, I don't see that theres anything good about it really :x

maggie

of course i'm only speculating, but i think my reasons for being shy, or having anxiety, stem from my childhood experiences, a bullying, over- powering mother..being bullied on school bus, and basically a low self-esteem. Genetically, i'm confused, as my 4 brothers and sisters seem completely calm in social situations, and are outgoing, outspoken individuals.. :roll:

recluse

The main reason for me is that i am afraid that i won't know what to say and that i appear boring. I was also made fun of in school and college.

alex29

I was made fun of a little bit for the way i dressed when I was in jr high school but i have always been shy since I was a little kid, before we even noticed what people looked like. i think its just part of me, but I also think part of it has to do with me not wanting to be laughed at in a cruel way. I dont have much confidence in what I say so I dont say much. and also I dont want to approach people because I never want to interrupt what theyre doing or cause them any inconvenience

jellybean

Ye Im afraid of being hurt by people too, Im afraid they will be mailicious and hurt me which I find they do, bit of a self fulfilling prophecy though I think

ljwwriter

I know I'm shy because I have little confidence in myself, especially when it comes to my appearance. I just can't be outgoing when I feel like I look so unattractive.

ripewithdecay

I became shy because when i was a child my family kept telling me i was very annoying and never shut up, and eventually my friends did too.

TAMPA-BAY

Why

Wow thats a challenging question.

Hmmm I ve been shy as long as I can remember. My biggest barrier has alwayse been social situation because my mind just goes too fast or too slow. Either my mind goes completely blank or it just goes into over analizing mode. I ll be in a social situation and I cant think of any thing to say or I ll be sitting there and I simply cant relax.

Honestly most of us probaly arent sure why.

zlench

I have very little social skills. I have no idea what I'm going to say to people or how to start a coverstation. :(

spw

I try to think back and i cant remember a time when i wasnt shy, when i wasnt the quiet one.

I cant understand how my brother is confident and outgoing, he has a ot of friends. Why did it happen to me?

I can think of one event whcih did make this A LOT of worse, but thse feelings have always been with me even before that. I dont know why. It kind of makes me even more scared to want to seek help because the person might think im just wasting their time as i dont know all the reasons why i feel this way or why i act the way i do.

Infected_Malignity

i'm shy because i have a terrible fear of looking stupid, plain and simple. not really sure where it started, but i've finally been able to pinpoint it. i guess i feel insecure when it comes to intellect - not because i'm as stupid as i make myself out to be, but because i'm average and that's hard for be to accept. that also goes for even being perceived as a moron or doing something out of line... even though i know none of this crap even matters in the real world, i still live every day of my life trying to avoid it.