Why am I always tired?

this_portrait

It's been over a week, probably about two weeks, since I quit taking my daily 20mg of fluoxetine (brand name Prozac) cold turkey. I haven't experienced any withdrawal symptoms, and I've yet to go back to the large amount of mood swings and overreactions I had before going on the medication. Best of all, I don't feel as drowsy as I did while I was on the the little green and white pills. It's been slightly easier to get up in the morning, and I don't feel like I'm dragging at work.

Still, while I may not be experiencing drowsiness as often, I still nap a lot. I nap when I could be doing more important things, like brushing the cat, prepping for the GRE, exercising, reading, drawing, writing, or, lately, renovating my apartment.

Today napping caused me to miss work. I had to be up early for a doctor's appointment, but there was a large gap before I had to leave for work. I dozed off and ended up sleeping through my shift. While I'm not at the point where I've received an official warning, I know my supervisor wasn't pleased. I'm vowing to not let this bullsh*t happen again.

I don't understand why I'm still tired all the time. Why I'm so unmotivated. If I'm not missing important things like work, class, and extracurricular activities because of sleep, I'm neglecting my creative endeavors because of it. Sure, it's not as often as it was when I was on fluoxetine, but the fact that it's still happening is starting to piss me off. I mean, does it really take more than a week or two for pill side effects to wear off? That can't be the case...

I need to renovate my apartment and change things around so I'm in a home environment that doesn't encourage me to sleep all the time. I miss the days when it didn't matter how much or how little sleep I got, I could still get up and do everything like I was on speed. I was recently prescribed 25mg of sertraline (brand name Zoloft), but I have yet to even take it because part of me is afraid that it will have the same drowsy effects on me, even though the MD said it shouldn't.

Christ, I need to see a therapist. If there's something the matter with me (which I think there is), I need a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. Getting an appointment could take a while, so in the meantime, I'm going to have to take matters in my own hands, because I feel like I'm on the path of failing as a responsible adult. I do a good job at work, school, etc., and I have a lot of potential. I can't let sleep (or whatever is wrong with me) throw all of that away.

Has anyone else ever been through this? What happened and how did you deal with it? Any advice?

jaim38

I feel tired today too, but I think it's because of interrupted sleep. Early in the morning, my mom turned on a machine that kept on making barking noises, and I could barely sleep. On other days when my sleep wasn't interrupted, I feel more energetic during the day.

cowboyup

I've had this problem, only in reverse if that makes sense. When I was NOT on anti-depressant (celexa), I was tired all the time, I'd get home from work and it felt like I put in 20 hours straight and I would sleep SO much yet no matter how much sleep I got, it seemed not enough. So I went to the dr and they prescribed celexa and I've been OK ever since. Also, I have more motivation to do things. I also take 750mg GABA (it's an amino acid, OTC) but on top of that, I had 'adrenal fatigue' in which I take 50 mg. of DHEA and that helps me also.

Of course I can not say whether these latter 2 would help you or not, but I would check with your doctor and tell him/her what's going on and maybe they can get to the root of the problem.

Do you feel bored or worry excessively? that could also contribute.

Hope this helps!

this_portrait

Thanks for the input!

Do you feel bored or worry excessively? that could also contribute.

Hmm, I don't recall ever feeling bored. Just unmotivated. I'll be sitting around, knowing that there's quite a few things I can do, but I just don't feel motivated to do them.

As for worrying excessively, that only happens if a particular stressful situation comes up (i.e., being unemployed for a while and not getting called back for jobs).

cowboyup

Thanks for the input!

Hmm, I don't recall ever feeling bored. Just unmotivated. I'll be sitting around, knowing that there's quite a few things I can do, but I just don't feel motivated to do them.

As for worrying excessively, that only happens if a particular stressful situation comes up (i.e., being unemployed for a while and not getting called back for jobs).

Hmm, maybe emotionally exhausted. I would try to talk with your doctor if you continue to be always tired.

From my personal experience, If I don't watch it, I can begin to feel overwhelmed by all the 'stuff' I need to do or want to do, and I begin to shut down, cuz my mind goes in hyper-drive and I can't keep up with it. Kinda hard to explain but that is how I can get if I don't keep on top of it.

Have you had your thyroid checked? I have hypothroidism and my doctor believed that was the cause of my tiredness.

You could have mild anemia (I had that once), but if you aren't starving yourself or eating only one thing (other than meat), that's probably unlikely.

Do you go outside very little? People who stay indoors a lot (or live in New England, like me) get less Vitamin D because of lack of sunshine (most New Englanders are low in Vitamin D).This can cause tiredness too, I believe.

A blood test would rule out all three of these things.

hidwell

Having anxiety and depression robs you of energy, I often feel tired for no good reason.

this_portrait

Opaline said:
Have you had your thyroid checked? I have hypothroidism and my doctor believed that was the cause of my tiredness.

You could have mild anemia (I had that once), but if you aren't starving yourself or eating only one thing (other than meat), that's probably unlikely.

Do you go outside very little? People who stay indoors a lot (or live in New England, like me) get less Vitamin D because of lack of sunshine (most New Englanders are low in Vitamin D).This can cause tiredness too, I believe.

A blood test would rule out all three of these things.

I did have some blood work done when I went to see the MD who prescribed the sertraline. I could probably call back and ask how that turned out.

As for going outside, I typically leave my apartment at least once a day. Most of the time it's just for class, work, to get coffee, etc. Chicago winters tend to be rather dreary, so chances are I don't get much Vitamin D, either.

hidwell said:
Having anxiety and depression robs you of energy, I often feel tired for no good reason.

I have been wondering if I've been feeling depressed more than usual. All the more reason for me to get back into therapy.

Fin

do you have a good diet? or suffer from IBS? things to consider. also stress and all the bulls*it that comes with it robs you of any energy you have. dunno about going cold turkey on the prozac either, I did that and was ok for the first couple of wks then BAM hit me like a motherf***er! so I weaned myself off them by taking one one day then leaving it a couple of days then taking another. In the end it took a couple of wks and had no side effects. Hope you feel better soon sux to feel like sh*t 24/7.

ImNotMyIllness

I also think it's a good idea to check out your blood test results for possible Thyroid issues. It might also be due to mild depression.
I heard a lot of bad things about Zoloft. The withdrawals are supposedly really bad. I think an exercise schedule plus healthier eating habits would be the best approach. Something I need to work on as well! (I'm always tired)

this_portrait

Fin said:
do you have a good diet? or suffer from IBS?

I don't have IBS, thank God. My diet is... so-so. Probably not the best lately. I need to include more fruits in my diet, if you ask me.

ImNotMyIllness said:
I heard a lot of bad things about Zoloft. The withdrawals are supposedly really bad.

I've heard mixed reviews about it, and according the NIH site, drowsiness can be a side effect. One thing I've heard a lot of people complain about is that they gained weight after they took it. Those are the primary reasons why I have yet to take it.