Who here lives by theirself?

man on the hill

Just wondering......if there are very many people on here in their mid 20s who are single and live on their own or have their own place, etc? Im almost 25 and still live at home with my parents. I got two younger bros who moved out earlier this year, we built em a house and they are both living together and spliting the bills and monthly payments and everything. They got an extra room and said I could always move in with em if I want, but I really dont want to cause I just feel like i'd be invading in on their lives and I just would rather stay at home and just mind my own business. Ive got a pretty big chunk of money saved up and im more than likely either gonna build a house or buy one next year. Im just wondering how much of a change it will be having my own place and living on my own? And also if I might change any of my usual habits or routines much from how they are now?

this_portrait

I have my own off-campus apartment that I live in by myself. It has its advantages and disadvantages, I guess. Pretty soon I plan on living on my own permanently. If I can find a roommate between now and whenever I move, then that will make my life easier.

MikeyC

And also if I might change any of my usual habits or routines much from how they are now?
You will. You'll have unprecedented freedom and you'll feel it.

I'm 25 and still with my mum and dad, but I so desperately want to live on my own. When it's financially viable, I will be doing that, no question.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Sort of, I live in a dorm by myself for most of the year. More freedom, more privacy, and more responsibilities are the main differences.

Moa

Living alone has it's advantages and disadvantages. It's nice to have personal space, peace and quiet. But ALL of the chores around the house fall on your shoulders.

Owning a house is a huge responsibility. I've always lived in apartments, but now I'm finally in my own house. The work never ends! Mowing the lawn, trimming the shrubs, fixing things that break (and even in a new house there's things that break!), clearing snow from the driveway, calling a locksmith if you lock yourself out and no one else has the key, and on and on.

I'm not saying this to try and scare you, just trying to make you aware of the realities of owning a house. Hope I'm not being redundant. Maybe those issues don't bother you, because it is pretty cool to own your own place and know you're making an investment, but if you don't like that stuff you might want to consider buying a condo. It's still an investment, but a lot of things are taken care of for you by the condo association.

man on the hill

No I have no problem with doing house work, I help my mom out with stuff all the time when she asks me to or needs any help. I guess for me the main reason I think I need my own place is cause right now I feel like I have nothing to show for with my life, and I kinda feel ashamed of my self for not doing more with my life, I know pretty much all the people I went to school with are either off at college or have their own place or married and have their own family. Im deffinatly not a "kid" anymore but sometimes thats what I feel like. I think having my own place would make me feel more "grown up" I guess you could say, and make me feel like Ive actually done something with my life. I really dont want to move to far away cause I actually love living out in the country, I dont think I could really live in town.

MikeyC

It's the financial instability that concerns me. Were I to get a job tomorrow, I could not guarantee that I could maintain that job with my AvPD or that this job would exist next month, such is the decline in the job market. I know that this uncertainty, and knowing that I have no credible person to turn to for help, would be even more stressful than my current situation. Things are only going to get worse over the coming years so I have absolutely no idea what I am going to do. Maybe make a raft and sail off to an uninhabited island and live on coconuts, that's the best I can do right now.
Yeah, the financial side is the worst. Who knows what will happen in a week. A month. Five years. Will you still have the job you have now or will it be obsolete? Will you still make the same money? You just never know these things.

Moa

Yeah, that's the hardest part of owning a house. We need a new roof, that will cost about $8000. We need to replace our kitchen floor because the linoleum has a tear in it, that will cost about $300 if I do it myself. In the past year we've had to fix a leaking shower twice, repainted two rooms, rebuilt our porch steps, stained our deck and porch, fixed our garage door when it broke... I could keep going but you get the point!