Who Had Social Phobia But No Longer Has It

jordo

i was wondering the same thing and is it possible? can someone with sa actually become non-sa? i think its possible to lessen it...but can one totally overcome it? i guess if someone did...they probably wouldnt be here or at least not stay very long lol. :?

2Crowded

Think its possible....take for example if someones an asshole most of thier life....if they really desire to change...they probly can with lots of patience & or practice... allthough..I spoes the tendency for them to turn back into an asshole would always be there...think maybe thats the case with Sa & other type problems.

jordo

Incognito said:
What's so unbelivable about it? People overcome other phobias, why should SA be different?
well i'm not sure about other people but in my case - my sp is mainly due to the fact that I CANT TALK WORTH CRAP lol and i guess i just find it hard to believe that all of a sudden (or even long term) i can become a talkative person even if i practiced or taught by a professional or w/e. but i guess people have their own reasons for having sp so i guess theres hope for others.

lmaoatyou

hi

i dont think anyone can fully overcome sa, once you get better, you will still feel anxious once in a while, just not as painfully as before. Its always gonna be apart of you somehow, you just have to learn to accept it.

Blackmagic479

This is a crazy question! Of course you can overcome social phobia. People have had way harder life struggles than this like fighting off cancer or climbing mount everest. Just work on your self esteem and everything will be fine. Also if you are having speech issues like stuttering and what not, maybe try consulting a speech therapist or some other medical professional.

simplejack

i experienced being fully recovered one time. i was talkative cool person i always wanted to be. it gives me hope now because i know i have it in me.

weak

I haven't overcome it but I've managed to work around it so that I'm able to occasionally date and have girlfriends. Other than that though, I dont have many opportunities to do social things as I dont really have any regular friends.

elProscrito

i haven't overcome it, but i made it manageable. ten years ago going shopping was a tough experience for me and now i do thing ten years ago i would have been too afraid to do.
i still don't have a satisfactory social life, but it's much better when i was younger and i get depressed every now and then.
but i still believe that some day i will overcome old habits and become really social savvy person.

Livingwithoutlivin

I could see SA going away, if we were to come into a situation so dire that we had to talk, were the real problem became of such magnitude that you would do what it takes to overcome it. I know damn well that if tommorow they told me I needed 5,000 dollars for surgery for my brother, otherwise he would die, I know damn well that I would summon up the courage to say " fuck SA" and I'd be working my ass off like never before. I would fuck this SA role that I've taken on and ditch it for somebody with a fervor who is going to do something for somebody else.

I truly believe I'm in the process of recovery now, yes. I recently went to dinner at a relations house. Tomorow I'm planning ongoing to the movies. Really the only reason I think I'm getting better is because I BELIEVE I'm going to get better, and I need to stop procrastinating and do it now!
Anyways, recovering from SA has nothing to do with becoming a chatty person, it's to do with becoming comfortable with yourself and being confident within yourself. Not becoming really popular and sucessful or any of that.