Where to find permanent happiness?

sullyS25

I was reading a book today and came across a quote I wanted to share.....What do you think about this quote?

"What do you imagine could bring us permanent happiness that would not also be susceptible to loss, destruction, or change and then cause us pain and suffering? Money? Possessions? Relationship and romance? Children? Family? Friends? A home? A career? Status? A cause? Our opinions? Our Values? Our Beliefs? Recognition? Approval? Praise? Fame? Honor? Glory?"

What is it that you want so bad in your life and do you think it will bring you authentic, permanent happiness?

That's a tough question. I'll take a stab at trying to answer based on my life. I think what would make me truly happy, is knowing all of my friends and family were also happy and taken care of. I would want to be free of any anxieties and be able to have a family of my own and a rewarding career to take care of them.

Ah, only in a perfect world :)

Mr.Prez

When your life has meaning, when you don't have any regrets, and you have given more to the world than you have taken. It's really weird to say, but also when you're not afraid of dying anymore

sullyS25

When your life has meaning, when you don't have any regrets, and you have given more to the world than you have taken. It's really weird to say, but also when you're not afraid of dying anymore

I love it! Especially the part about giving more than you take....I have read a lot of new age books that say giving is receiving. Or the more you give to the world the more you will receive. I couldn't agree more...When someone is struggling and I reach out to help them, I remind myself of what I need to hear and feel great in the process....I also like the idea of not being afraid of dying....why are we all so afraid of this? Why do cancer patients go through years of suffering and pain only to live a few years longer....is that worth it?

I personally think that seeing myself as whole and complete is necessary for permanent happiness....that is true love.

sullyS25

I have read the power of now. I found a lot of strength from that book. The book I quoted from is good too even if the title is corny, it is called "Take me to Truth: Undoing the Ego". It is full of some really great stuff and helps me a lot. It isn't one of those books you can just read once and put down....at least that is how it is for me....I feel the same about The Power of Now, it is amazing.

nafadda

NOTHING is permanent..i mean no such thing as a permanent job,even a marriage,eventually one partner will die.

EVERYONE will eventually suffer loss or pain in ones life..I mean that is part of life .if anyone thinks they will get through this life without any of those feelings,good luck.that is just NOT how life works.

a person can be happy but something can still happen and if a person is not aware of that they are in for some serious let downs through out life.

to be happy in life i think a person needs to find something,anything that they are passionate about..i don't mean a relationship,i mean something that THEY on their own are passionate about.

dale carnegie how to stop worrying and start living, is like a bible to me....although as so many years is stiil inspiring!

About permanent happiness, for me just comes from true love, the one who starts in you...no matter in what, work, a person, sport, values...

Lea

Banned
Can´t you see that the principle of this world is duality, and besides everything is always in movement. So there can´t be anything like permanent hapiness. Obviously. If it was, this world would be called "a paradise". But we´re not that far yet.

Also if we were living in total hapiness and comfort whole life, we would not evolve and learn and improve, but we would become vegetables.

sullyS25

Can´t you see that the principle of this world is duality, and besides everything is always in movement. So there can´t be anything like permanent hapiness. Obviously. If it was, this world would be called "a paradise". But we´re not that far yet.

Also if we were living in total hapiness and comfort whole life, we would not evolve and learn and improve, but we would become vegetables.

Exactly that is why I posted this, I see so many people on this forum talking about how much life would be so much better if they had this or if this were to happen. If only.....is all I seem to see on this forum. It isn't just us either it is society....We all feel incomplete....So why do we feel this intense feeling of being incomplete and walk through life as zombies pursuing goals in the future that will save us or relieve our pain when salvation and relief is right now....in the present moment....Accepting it, embracing it, seeing ourselves as whole and loving ourselves. Loving everything the way it is and embracing the duality of things, the good and the bad......instead of living and one and wanting the other or fearing the other....Acceptance of right now brings true joy. Constant seeking, worrying about the future and regretting the past is always going to result in suffering.

Lea

Banned
Exactly that is why I posted this, I see so many people on this forum talking about how much life would be so much better if they had this or if this were to happen. If only.....is all I seem to see on this forum. It isn't just us either it is society....We all feel incomplete....So why do we feel this intense feeling of being incomplete and walk through life as zombies pursuing goals in the future that will save us or relieve our pain when salvation and relief is right now....in the present moment....Accepting it, embracing it, seeing ourselves as whole and loving ourselves. Loving everything the way it is and embracing the duality of things, the good and the bad......instead of living and one and wanting the other or fearing the other....Acceptance of right now brings true joy. Constant seeking, worrying about the future and regretting the past is always going to result in suffering.

We can´t live in the now all the time, if we did we´d just spend money for foolish things etc. Not thinking of tomorrow is not wise. We must plan somewhat mustn´t we? Also some regrets and emotional pain are natural and we (or at least I) can´t avoid it. It just comes and you can´t do anything with it. Unless you are a robot. So I just don´t think of hapiness and try to do what I have to do without expecting miracles, also have room for accomodating all kinds of bad moods and depressions, and expecting that they can enter into my plans.

I was reading a book today and came across a quote I wanted to share.....What do you think about this quote?

"What do you imagine could bring us permanent happiness that would not also be susceptible to loss, destruction, or change and then cause us pain and suffering? Money? Possessions? Relationship and romance? Children? Family? Friends? A home? A career? Status? A cause? Our opinions? Our Values? Our Beliefs? Recognition? Approval? Praise? Fame? Honor? Glory?"

What is it that you want so bad in your life and do you think it will bring you authentic, permanent happiness?

I want to feel good about myself most of the time, that's where i will find happiness.

sullyS25

We can´t live in the now all the time, if we did we´d just spend money for foolish things etc. Not thinking of tomorrow is not wise. We must plan somewhat mustn´t we? Also some regrets and emotional pain are natural and we (or at least I) can´t avoid it. It just comes and you can´t do anything with it. Unless you are a robot. So I just don´t think of hapiness and try to do what I have to do without expecting miracles, also have room for accomodating all kinds of bad moods and depressions, and expecting that they can enter into my plans.

I am not saying planning ahead is a problem. Of course we have to have some plans for the future. I don't expect every one else to think this way but to put all my passion and all my effort into some future point in time is ridiculous...it isn't living it is waiting....I can put all my effort into getting a "dream job" and when I get it the pleasure will be short lived until I find another thing to grasp on to and wait for i.e marriage, kids, blah blah blah....This constant seeking and waiting for a future moment will continue until I am on my death bed asking myself what the hell I spent my life doing....which was waiting....waiting for what? At what point in life do I decide I want to enjoy what is happening now instead of constantly waiting? The title was mainly to get people to read the thread....obviously happiness isn't always going to be a part of everyones life but the suffering can be minimized.

Of course bad moods, depressions and anxieties will be a part of them I am not saying they won't I am saying as part of being in the present moment I must accept these feelings instead of avoiding them and wishing they would be different. Acceptance of this is key for me to get out of the constant suffering. Acceptance of all emotions, the good and the bad.

OceanMist

I don't see how someone could be permanently happy in this world. There is too much destruction that can happen to a person on any given day that we can't control.

Lea

Banned
Well I don´t like the "positive thinkers" boasting they can do just anything they want to. Because they just have too much pride to acknowledge that they are nothing, that if tomorrow God wants and earthquake or some accident happens to them, they are done. We are dependent on our environment (and chance and destiny) for a great deal too (as OceanMist says), so it´s not only our will.

sullyS25

Well I don´t like the "positive thinkers" boasting they can do just anything they want to. Because they just have too much pride to acknowledge that they are nothing, that if tomorrow God wants and earthquake or some accident happens to them, they are done. We are dependent on our environment (and chance and destiny) for a great deal too (as OceanMist says), so it´s not only our will.

I agree completely.....I am not sure if I made you think I can do whatever I want though:confused: Sorry if I did.....You mention god....for me this is more of a god issue. I may not use the word god when I talk about it but personally for me, I trust in the way things are and everything happens for a reason....That is just me though...I sense some anger in your posts, maybe it is my constant need to over analyze things and it is nothing but if I said something to upset you or posted something in the past to upset you I apologize, my intention is not to upset anyone...