When did your social anxiety start?

LoyalXenite

I dont remember when mine started, I had tendencies as a kid, but how much it affected me varied on who I was with... it got worse as I got older, especially in my late teens/early 20's... It peaked at its worst when I was in a very toxic relationship.

It seems to have stopped getting worse now at least..

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Probably after my family and moved house, since things just got worse moving from the scheme - or yer typical rough as f*ck council estate - to more central part o' town. And it got worse from that point, really... Mid-teen was when things really got bad for me. Though, it's hardly easy growing up the youngest of 3 kids, and being the only boy in a matriarchal household.

I don't remember not being anxious, if I'm honest. Unless I'm playing the guitar or writing my own music. Then, for a few hours, the anxiety, depression and dysfunctional family BS f*cks off.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
My dad was not much of a teacher he told me straight to my face one day that he did not won`t to have a son he only wanted daughters he said he would not care much for me in tell I had kids for him to talk to.

I'm sorry if I offend you with this comment Bo, but for a father to say something like that to his son is so damn weak, pathetic and selfish.

Your father didn't deserve to have children in my opinion. A father should love his children no matter what their gender. For a son to hear something like that from his father can be soul destroying. I'm truly sorry that you had to endure that mate :sad:

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I recall being at primary school and getting teased a lot about the scar I have on my neck. That was probably the catalyst for my SA. But I was very sporty and had lots of friends.

I think my mother was a definite cause though, I was accepted into the State Cricket youth side. The first couple of training sessions were great and I impressed everyone that was there. Then the next stage came where everyone needed to bring their own gear.

My mother promised she was buying me the stuff I needed (which in the end I found out was a lie) and I turned up to training with no gear of my own. The only one to do so.
I had to ask to borrow other peoples gear. I was so embarrassed. Looking back that was the day I became acutely self conscious.

So when the next training day came, I still had no gear and I told my mother I wasn't going. I didn't even pick up a cricket ball for nearly 5 years and I never played cricket competitively again (approximately 30 years later).

I have a knot in my stomach whenever I think about it, I really think I could have made a career out of the sport I loved.