What's your favorite horror film ?

drganon

This is a tough question. A lot of the films I would mention have horror elements, but lean more on the action/adventure and sci-f side, like Aliens and The Thing(1982).

upndwn

I have to many favorites, but If I had to choose I guess it would be a close tie between Hellraiser and Martyrs.

upndwn

Martyrs is probably my favourite. Pure horror, and the direction, cinematography.. everything about that movie is flawless. I'm a huge fan of New French Extremity.

Hellraiser is probably the most terrifying film I've ever seen, though.

Seems we both have great taste in movies :p

Martyrs is not only a great horror movie, it is a great movie altogether. As you said the cinematography, script, acting everything in this movie is so close to perfection. A classic in my opinion. It's also one of the few movies I find hard to watch, it's just so intense. It had me thinking about it for days when I first saw it.

Hellraiser is a horror classic which holds up surprisingly well even after all these years.

Flanscho

Hmmm, the original Alien movie was great. Though I also like some of the japanese horror movies (that is, of course the original japanese versions then, and not those atrocious american remakes).

Dinosaur

The Ring for me

I remember when I was 9 years old (over 30 yrs ago!) Amityville horror scared my socks off

upndwn

I grew up on horror movies and consider myself a horror movie savant a.k.a. snob. :p I'll take my cue from ShyDreamer and list my top 5:

1. Phantasm
2. The Exorcist
3. The Skeptic
4. The Descent
5. The Blair Witch Project

I love the Phantasm movies, especially the second one. The exorcist is an all-time classic which still manages to scare the living bejesus out of me. The skeptic I think was OK. The Descent is up there with Hellraiser and Martyrs for me. The Blair witch project just bored me and gave me headaches.

These are my five favs:

1 Hellraiser
2 Martyrs
3 The thing
4 Re-animator
5 Original Day of the dead

I to consider myself to be somewhat of a horror movie aficionado. Do you have any obscure movies to recommend?

Last edited:

paperie

The Descent
Interview With The Vampire
Let The Right One In
May
Sleepy Hollow
28 Days Later
Killer Klowns from Outer Space

w*n*c*a*m

I don't know why I like scaring myself. Like one time, I watched a Japanese horror movie alone in my room with the lights out, the windows and door shut... I made it really dark inside. So I was sitting on my bed while looking at the PC when suddenly the scene went to a lady ghost appearing from under the bed and I screamed and freaked out like crazy. LOL

Xervello

I to consider myself to be somewhat of a horror movie aficionado. Do you have any obscure movies to recommend?

Well, it's not really considered a horror movie but it's in the Psycho spectrum, have you ever seen Peeping Tom? It actually came out before Psycho, and it's even darker, more emotionally complex.

Btw, Hellraiser was a good movie, but the sequels stunk. Still, the first, with all those scenes with an icky Frank, are classic - ha ha.

Xervello

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Ha ha, right on! :thumbup:

You know, it's actually a good movie. I mean it's not The Exorcist or The Blair Witch, but the camp is funny and smartly done. If I were rich, I'd buy every prop from that film. Including the ice cream truck, lol.

upndwn

Well, it's not really considered a horror movie but it's in the Psycho spectrum, have you ever seen Peeping Tom? It actually came out before Psycho, and it's even darker, more emotionally complex.

Btw, Hellraiser was a good movie, but the sequels stunk. Still, the first, with all those scenes with an icky Frank, are classic - ha ha.

Icky Frank is a classic ans is his creepy "come to daddy" line. The sequels were more or less Shiite, but after watching them again I kind of liked the second and the fifth one (although the fifth one is more of a stand-alone movie than a real sequel).

I liked the first two Psycho movies (not the remake, the original Hitchcock one). I have vague memories of watching Peeping Tom when I was a kid. Maybe I'll check that one out again.

Killer Clowns from outer space I find to be one of those guilty pleasure movies in the it's so bad its good category. :p

Have you seen Midnight meat train? I thought that one was both creepy and darkly funny, plus it has Vinnie Jones as a hammer wielding maniac. It's part of Clive Barker's Book of blood series which also contains the Hellraiser story.

Last edited: