What would you do if you were offered help?

Phraxdust

The other day at the job centre I was asked if I wanted any help.
I said no because I think it was just help getting a job and not help for the SA. But it got me thinking,
If you were offered professional help, what would you do?

Blabla..

i have tried letting myself be helped in the past , and it didn't turn out well

so i have shut down to that idea for now , this is my own mind , so i gotta learn how it works , myself

oh and welcome !

MikeyC

In the past, I would've said no.

These days, I would say yes.

The thing is: you need to be ready to embrace professional help for it to be of any use to you. I am now, which is why I would jump at the chance, and which is why I've now started seeing a therapist.

razzle dazzle rose

The thing is: you need to be ready to embrace professional help for it to be of any use to you. I am now, which is why I would jump at the chance, and which is why I've now started seeing a therapist.

That is very true. And sometimes what you learn in therapy doesn't click right away. It takes years for actual, real change to take place.

I went to therapy many years ago for OCD. Didn't really help so I have been against it, but I am opening up to it again. I really don't think I can overcome SA on my own like I did with the OCD. My problem is I have no money or insurance to pay for psychiatric help. I am hoping I will be able to find some services for free.

MikeyC

My problem is I have no money or insurance to pay for psychiatric help. I am hoping I will be able to find some services for free.
I don't know what the system is like in America, but I know there are some free services in Australia (but you wouldn't be talking to a complete professional). There's also hotlines you can call if you're desperate, too...as long as you can afford the cost of the call. I'm sure they'd have similar things in America?

If not, I can be your long-distance therapist. I have diplomas and everything. Honest!

Aletheia

yep

i make enough money that i don't qualify for aid

but i don't make enough to afford to pay for it myself

There is a huge wodge of people in that boat.

Given the toll anxiety and depression take on workforce productivity, you would think this would not be so, but....

razzle dazzle rose

I don't know what the system is like in America, but I know there are some free services in Australia (but you wouldn't be talking to a complete professional). There's also hotlines you can call if you're desperate, too...as long as you can afford the cost of the call. I'm sure they'd have similar things in America?

Yes, there are hotlines I can call, and I have called in the past. No charge for them.

There may be a sliding scale at some places, but like you said, the therapists they have there have little experience. In some cases I know more about the disorders than they do which is...lame.

If not, I can be your long-distance therapist. I have diplomas and everything. Honest!

Thanks, Mikey! I have received lots of help and support from you guys here. You are all truly awesome! :)

i make enough money that i don't qualify for aid

but i don't make enough to afford to pay for it myself

That sucks. A lot of students experience that with financial aid too. It is not fair.

megalon

There's some sort of "employee assistance" hotline that my employer has a deal with that supposedly can hook people up with everything from therapists to debt councilors. I've thought about calling but then I figure I wouldn't be able to communicate the problem while talking to a stranger over the phone.

MikeyC

Yes, there are hotlines I can call, and I have called in the past. No charge for them.

There may be a sliding scale at some places, but like you said, the therapists they have there have little experience. In some cases I know more about the disorders than they do which is...lame.
That's good that you've called. It shows a wanting for change, or at the very least, some professional advice, and that's awesome! I do remember an article saying that the suicide hotline in Australia is not free, so that's going to make you less inclined to live if you're on there for a long time and your phone bill comes in!

A therapist I was considering going to had a sliding scale pay system. I ultimately chose someone else but that's a good idea.

Thanks, Mikey! I have received lots of help and support from you guys here. You are all truly awesome! :)
I know, right? :D

That sucks. A lot of students experience that with financial aid too. It is not fair.
Financial stress can lead to stresses elsewhere and if they can't afford to pay for therapy, then that's going to exacerbate the problem. I feel that students are the outcasts of society sometimes in terms of aid and support.

MaliceInWickedland

I would turn them down right on the spot. I was offered "help" a few years ago from a psychologist who supposedly understood what I was going through and put me on Lexapro, which completely distorted my perception of reality at the time and did nothing to help subdue my anxiety. Feels like it made it worse actually.

MikeyC

I would turn them down right on the spot. I was offered "help" a few years ago from a psychologist who supposedly understood what I was going through and put me on Lexapro, which completely distorted my perception of reality at the time and did nothing to help subdue my anxiety. Feels like it made it worse actually.
Sorry to hear that. ::(: I guess the person offering the help needs to be legitimate, too.