what to do when asked on a fun night

dancingintherain

My friend who is mega confident person, asked me on lots of occasions to go out with her friends and stay a night but I really hate that, i like to be alone and I get upset because my anxiety sometimes stop me from having fun. So now she's asking me to have a girls night in and there's some people I won't know be there. I want to avoid because I know anxiety will take hold of me and as well think it's good to go to fight the anxiety.

so um... what do I do?

Kinetik

I hate spending the night elsewhere too. So when I go drinking I usually drink a little at home first so that I'm buzzed and I feel ready to go out properly, and then at the end of the night I typically get a taxi back home. Maybe that's an idea for you.

dancingintherain

I hate spending the night elsewhere too. So when I go drinking I usually drink a little at home first so that I'm buzzed and I feel ready to go out properly, and then at the end of the night I typically get a taxi back home. Maybe that's an idea for you.

thanks but... I don't drink =D

fdctk

My friend who is mega confident person, asked me on lots of occasions to go out with her friends and stay a night but I really hate that, i like to be alone and I get upset because my anxiety sometimes stop me from having fun. So now she's asking me to have a girls night in and there's some people I won't know be there. I want to avoid because I know anxiety will take hold of me and as well think it's good to go to fight the anxiety.

so um... what do I do?

just do it. you'll have the opportunity to meet new ppl and practice socializing. even if you end up being anxious the whole time, it's still a step in the right direction and should be proud of yourself having the courage to do go. who knows, maybe you'll actually end up having a really good time - that has happened to me on more than a few occasions.

Jack Blue

I would say go ahead and do it, try to live life a little bit. Sure, it may backfire and you get embarrassed a few times, but so what? Part of life is taking risks; there is almost something fun and challenging about throwing yourself into a completely new situation. Go to the party, don't have high expectations about being sociable, try to relax, be yourself. For many of us with social anxiety, it is really a type of situation where you have nothing to lose... would you rather stay at home wondering what could have been or take pride in the fact that you were brave about it? (even if you completely failed) Put yourself out there and try your best :)

U

userremoved

I would definitely try going a few times, but you dont have to every time. But it is nice to have people try to include you in that kind of stuff. Turn them down enough and they stop asking or even worse avoid you. I need an outgoing friend like that to get me out of my shell.

dancingintherain

I suppose.. :)
sometimes I think things are meant to be. She was there when I had my most difficult times of sad. I think she have helped me be less scared of saying hi to new people =) and just 'hi'... ;D

Im right there with you on this one. People always call me emo for not hanging out with others very much, but im pretty normal, I just appreciate alone time.