What techniques are helping you with SA?

williamreinsch

CBT helps to an extent. For some people it has no effect, but for others is completely effective. It is limited in that it focusses purely on day-to-day interactions, without looking at the subconscious thinking or assumptions underpinning the original problem. It is about putting a dyke up to keep the subconscious thinking at bay, or neutralizing it without changing it. Presumably that is why people can relapse under certain circumstances when things go wrong and the subconscious assumptions or problems are reinforced, breaking the dyke. In the ensuing flood CBT is inadequate.

I cant find what dyke means in the other sense lol if u can enlighten me that would be great! :D LOL

But yes i've noticed cbt works very slight for me, I think a lot of the problems are subconscious and past triggers are what have reinforced my way of thinking. I still don't know if I have a specific original trigger that set them all off, I remember always being shy even as an infant which then developed in to SA.

Yeah i notice relapsing when im doing exposure therapy's trying harder to pick myself up again now though. But i think it should be less likely if i'm dealing with my routes of SA too. Which is i imagine at the heart of truly curing your SA.

I have been trying to write down every traumatic event that has triggered my anxiety and now everyday am addresses them. I use EFT because it seems to reinforce the acceptance of these events. And it works profoundly in that sense. But it's what works best for you at the end of the day.

Thanks for the message, I can very much relate! :)

hoddesdon

^ A dyke is a barrier that is built in the Netherlands to keep the water out, since the country is below sea level.

williamreinsch

Greeting people with a smile even though most of the time I wanna stay to myself really helps.

I do this too in public :) I noticed how infectious it really is when you manage to do it genuinely at someone. It is hard to pull of a genuine smile however LOL you have to feel happy yourself. I smile at people (not too forced but slightly) when i don't feel like it so much and eventually you'll get a nice genuine smile back and then that genuine smile makes you genuinely smile to the next guy :)

Smiling is really great and it really does catch on when you start it up somewhere. Sure you might get a few funny looks but those people just aren't down with it at the time :)

Kiwong

DIY exposure therapy. Within reason, I have thrown myself in situations that cause me incredible anxiety (new jobs, blind dates, meetups.) Just being open to experiences.

Therapy. Although not a technique, but just having someone nonjudgmental to talk to has helped so much. Together we have tried some mindful exercises to calm myself when I am anxious. Lots of breathing exercises. She is also teaching me to question my thoughts/beliefs. Although that is a bit harder. Still working on that.

Yes, yes, yes. Eating healthy, being at a healthy weight, help me so much at just being comfortable in my own skin. Just feels better too. More energy, lighter feeling. (Sadly, I have gained some weight as of late. It can be one of the major contributors to why I have felt sluggish.)

I want to incorporate exercise. Only good things come from it!

Exercise always helps. Even half an hour walking a day I reckon. I guess I like running because I spend so much of my time in flight mode that I want to run away to escape. So when I can run it is a huge release of built up cortisol.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Exercise always helps. Even half an hour walking a day I reckon. I guess I like running because I spend so much of my time in flight mode that I want to run away to escape. So when I can run it is a huge release of built up cortisol.

Exercise is proven to be a great 'destresser'. And what are people like us (with SA or similar conditions) notorious for? Stressing! :)

I totally agree with you that exercising is a great help. In the mornings before work I'll do some moderate weight training, and on weekends I'll go for a run or hike.

Exercising does wonders not just for the body, but for the mind as well!

Luckylife

What you will find out is that many people who describe themselves as normal are suffering with SA to some degree. Acting as if you are perfectly normal is a good method because it alerts you to problem areas within yourself / environment. I'd happily share a few tips but regretably, since this is a forum the ideas will be shunted and forgotten after a few weeks. If I want anything permanent I must build my own website - no can do.