What Should I Do?

xmisunderstoodx

Hi. I'm home schooled and spend most of my time at home. I'm the one who brings/picks up my sister to/from school. That's the only time I go out. The high school kids get out a little earlier than the elementary kids. So, there's lots of big groups of them walking the same route as me.

Every time they pass by me, they say "stay off drugs" which i just dismissed and thought it was nothing. But they start making comments like I'm a prostitute. Today, they called me a pothead. I know like teens/people joke around and stuff. But I don't even know them.

So far, I've just been ignoring them. I want to have a good comeback and don't want to get beat up. Cause it would be 4+ against 1. I don't want to talk. I just want to beat them up but then I'd be a monster.
I don't acknowledge them. As if they are not even talking to me. They're just trying to get a reaction out of me.

I know this situation is silly but happens a lot. I need to stand up for myself. Even if I am a freak.

P.S I don't do drugs.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
Well, freaks have to stick-together.

Forgive my pragmatic nature, but I'd carry pepper spray and wear headphones.

This will allow you to more easily ignore their comments, and if they cross the line and try to get physical, you can defend yourself in a reasonable manner.

I'm sure others will weigh-in with protective measures of an emotional sort, which is fantastic, they certainly should, but I feel like the physical concerns should be addressed as well. Just remember that NO ONE has a right to put their hands on you, it's battery, plain and simple. You're not a monster for wanting to remain un-harmed.

I hope things blow-over and nothing gets crazy, but it's best to be prepared.

Steiner

Why do you think they say such things? Hm. Don't see how calling someone a pothead is funny. I thought most people were potheads nowadays as well. Have we gone back in time? Anyway. Just sounds like stupid kids I wouldn't let it get to you and hey. Nothing wrong with potheads.

Steiner

I'm usually nervous, trembly, when I get around more people my walk becomes slow and off balance.

Ah I could see people relating that to being a pothead. I guess good luck then. I don't have much advice really. Their words hold no meaning so I wouldn't take it too seriously. I am probably not one to talk though.

Meggy0001

Headphones :) They will stop the comments if they know you cant hear them and if they are stupid enough to keep making the comments then you wont hear it anyway so win win

Odo

Banned
Kids are the worst. A few years ago there was this group of them who used to take pictures of me with their cell phones whenever they saw me, and it would drive me nuts.... the first time I told them sternly not to do it, but they didn't care.

I actually grabbed one of their phones and threw it into a field once, but it didn't stop them. One time I actually chased them into their hangout restaurant and took a video of them, asking them how it felt... they were kind of freaked out that I was actually doing that but in the end they still didn't care... and I think it made them worse because it made it even more fun.

I guess you could not react but sometimes that just makes you look weak, so they keep pushing you for a reaction, which means getting worse. There's really no way to win sometimes. If you do anything, they're more likely to look like the victims. I think they know this, which is why they can be so bad.

Last edited:

jaim38

Several years ago, I had similar problems living away from home. I also go out a lot to pick up my brother from college. I get comments from neighbors that I am a "****". I have no idea why they'd think that.

Potheads are people too. I wouldn't hate someone just because he/she takes drugs.

I guess you could not react but sometimes that just makes you look weak, so they keep pushing you for a reaction, which means getting worse. There's really no way to win sometimes. If you do anything, they're more likely to look like the victims. I think they know this, which is why they can be so bad.

Yeah, I've been in so many situations where there's no way of me winning, and it's pretty much the story of my life.

jaim38

^Exactly! So perhaps just ignore them? Not that ignoring will stop them from saying such things. Headphones are a good idea. Whenever the neighbors would say anything bad about me, I'd distract myself with manga, music, and videos.

DepravedFurball

Saying or doing anything to that group of horrible little twerps is only going to make things worse.

Even if you were to meet the kindest individual of the group and thoroughly explain what you struggle with, and they whole-heartedly accepted it, when they get back into the group-dynamic, they're just going to act the same as ever.

It's an ego-thing. No-one wants to think of themselves as the worst person around... thus they'll berate and bully the perceived-weaker people around them to prop up their own self-image...

We all do it. Perhaps we don't all bully or abuse people, but the thought-processes are still in our heads. All it takes is an evening of watching reality television programs or a half-hour of nightly news. Idiots are abound in both, and you'll easily pick out some people that you believe yourself better than...

But little brats like those kids that you pass on the street are just ignorant. They're no more aware of their faults than those tweenager mothers that fight to get their churly faces on television in programs like 'Sixteen and Pregnant' or 'Teenage Single Moms'.

You can't fix other people's stupidity. And you're better off not trying at all, as the attempt will push their idiocy to even worse lengths.

Screw headphones. Research meditation online instead. Learn how to tune out the world for a few minutes at a time. Take a different route to your sister's school. Leave even a couple of minutes earlier. Cross to the other side of the street if you see them up the block.

Don't even waste another minute thinking about those punks. Their arrogance and lack of compassion will come back to haunt them at some point... most likely when they're twenty-two, have welcomed their fourth child into the world, and have just received notification from the government that their welfare cheques are being cut off.