What role does TV and radio play in your life?

Luthien

I've never owned a tv and had no interest in watching it until I got SA. Then I would download or stream as much as I could. I had to have something on at all times. I was so terrified of being alone and quiet with my own thoughts that I even had to listen to something when I went to sleep at night. Since I have never been very into tv, I had no clue what to watch since there are SO many tv shows and I'm pretty picky.

I ended up watching this show called CSI, which I liked a lot. It was very well done and interesting, but when I ran out of episodes to watch, I realized how bad it was! When I would watch this show, I would be afraid to walk out of my house at night! I would imagine all these scary things happening to me, people breaking into my house and killing me and things like that. It was outrageous! I probably live in the safest town on earth and in a teeny shack with no valuables to speak of (even our computers are too old to be worth much). When I stopped watching it, I had so much less anxiety! Not only from the scary stuff, but watching these gorgeous people prancing around (there are never EVER women on tv who aren't pretty and they're usually super skinny) made me feel bad about my body, even though I know the world doesn't look like that. I've spent my life trying to unlearn what I learned as a child from tv and teen magazine, that I had to be pretty and skinny to have friends and be good. Watching tv only brought back all that ingrained, dangerous and seriously f***ed up thought process.

Now, when I need stimulation, I listen to NPR. There are definitely times I can't hear them talk about the news because it makes me so angry or depressed, but mostly their stories uplift me and entertain me while I go about my day.

So I was just wondering what other people's experiences are. I know sometimes people don't realize the affect tv can have on your state of mind. My mom is a constant worrier and used to watch Fox news all the time and think the world was a horribly scary place. I convinced her to stop watching tv and now (she says) she has much less fear. So do you watch tv? Do you watch only funny shows and avoid news and scary stuff? Do you watch the scary stuff and the cop shows? Have you ever tried stopping to see if your level of anxiety changes? What effect does media have on YOU? And what tv or radio shows inspire you?

Brightinfinity

Honestly, I rarely watch TV or listen to the radio, so they don't really affect my life much at all.
However, my mom watches the news and often tells me about scary things she hears about. She's generally much more worried about things than I am (except for social situations and HH of course). She also cares more about fashion and looking pretty than I do, and tries to get me to be fashionable and such. In a sense, she's the source of anxiety I would normally have gotten from the media. Thanks Mom :p

xxaimsxx

Hey luthien.
Well tv and radio play quite a big part in my life. Im always listening to music and want to know what is going on in the world. And for someone who doesnt go out and socialize allot i know whats going on in the world because of the tv, internet and such.
And because i havent really been out into the real world for a while i seem to think life is like it is in the movies or atleast thats what i want it to be like. :rolleyes:

Luthien

Hey luthien.
Well tv and radio play quite a big part in my life. Im always listening to music and want to know what is going on in the world. And for someone who doesnt go out and socialize allot i know whats going on in the world because of the tv, internet and such.
And because i havent really been out into the real world for a while i seem to think life is like it is in the movies or atleast thats what i want it to be like. :rolleyes:

I spent from about 17 until 23 hanging out with lots of anarchists and activists and in that time I didn't watch TV at all, and learned that most of the news you see is so bias, conveniently omitting certain facts that their sponsors don't like. This even happens with NPR and even though I listen to NPR all the time, I still take it with a grain of salt. You're lucky you're in Britain because I think the BBC is a lot more trustworthy than the news here in the states. I actually prefer to listen to the BBC because I like their reporters so much more (most of the time) They actually ask tough questions and don't just sit there and flatter and believe everything they're told by whomever they are interviewing.

I know an awful lot about the news these days, too. I used to avoid all news (especially when the news I heard came from my anarchist friends and was WAY too depressing for me, I always felt like there was nothing I could DO about it) but now I feel sort of obligated to know about what's going on in the world. I feel like such an ignorant American, like knowing about the rest of the world somehow validates the struggles of so many people. Even though most of it is so sad, I still feel that it's better to know rather than live in my bubble.

As for movies, blech! I am really not into movies. I wasn't allowed to watch much tv as a child so I didn't see a lot of standards (like Star Wars) and now I just don't have much attention span for them. Plus watching tv intently for two hours gives me a headache (when I watch tv shows, I generally don't pay much attention because I'm sewing or doing something else) But that being said, I totally fawn over movies that are pretty and can watch them a million times! I LOVE Lemony Snicket- a series of unfortunate events and I could watch it over and over. I love movies with amazing costumes, stop-motion animation or incredible cinematography. But it seems like movies that impress me are few and far between.

I worry about you falling in love with movie-land and the life depicted there. It is so far from reality and if you want your life to be like a teen movie (for example) where no one notices you until you take off your glasses and then you're the most beautiful and popular girl in school, you will be SORELY disappointed.

Luthien

Honestly, I rarely watch TV or listen to the radio, so they don't really affect my life much at all.
However, my mom watches the news and often tells me about scary things she hears about. She's generally much more worried about things than I am (except for social situations and HH of course). She also cares more about fashion and looking pretty than I do, and tries to get me to be fashionable and such. In a sense, she's the source of anxiety I would normally have gotten from the media. Thanks Mom :p

Well THAT'S annoying! Thanks a lot mom! I guess I'm a bit lucky that my mom doesn't give a hoot about fashion, but for me it was hard because I never knew what to do with my hair or how to put on make-up because my mom never taught me! (my hair was AWFUL when I was a teen, it was a constant source of anxiety) Luckily, I figured out what to do with my huge, thick, wavy mane and now I love it and I don't wear make-up (unless it's crazy stage make-up, which is way more fun than make-up that's supposed to look like it's not there) So it worked out alright, I suppose. It's funny though because I care so much more than anyone in my family about fashion and looking pretty. I really enjoy it, though MY sort of fashion is very far from what is called "Fashion". I often feel a bit jealous when I see the pretty girls on tv in their perfect outfits, because I feel like maybe if I was skinny those clothes might look good on me. But I doubt I'd want to wear them, anyway. They're so boring.

Emily_G

I watch way too much TV. But it's just because I'm bored all day :( I don't really listen to the radio, except when I'm in the car or cleaning house I'll listen to music from Sirius-XM.

Luthien

I watch way too much TV. But it's just because I'm bored all day :( I don't really listen to the radio, except when I'm in the car or cleaning house I'll listen to music from Sirius-XM.

Why are you bored all day? Isn't there anything you love to do?

Emily_G

Why are you bored all day? Isn't there anything you love to do?

Because hubby's at work all day, so I mostly just sit at home and watch tv/clean. I don't really have any hobbies....sad I know ::(: I'm not going to start any at the moment either.

Luthien

Because hubby's at work all day, so I mostly just sit at home and watch tv/clean. I don't really have any hobbies....sad I know ::(: I'm not going to start any at the moment either.

Why aren't you interested in starting any?

It's not that it's sad, if that's not what you want then it's not what you want! I have a million hobbies and I will go for weeks without touching any of them! Sometimes it's just hard to involve yourself in anything, it's just easier to be a robot and clean and cook, I definitely know that feeling. Where anything that requires extraneous thought or too much motivation is draining to even THINK about. But I suppose it's nice to have something that you WISH you cared about doing, at least for me.

Emily_G

Why aren't you interested in starting any?

It would be a waste of time and money to start anything right now...my son is due in a couple of weeks, docs say he came come at any time though. I wanted to learn how to crochet before he came...but oh well. :D

Luthien

HOORAY! Congratulations!!!! That's so great that you're having a little baby! I'm totally jealous :p

You know what? I know how to crochet and it is SO easy. You could totally learn in a day. All you need is one crochet hook, some yarn and this: How to Crochet

TAH-DAH!!!

You don't even REALLY need yarn, you could crochet with rags or plastic bags, or whatever is on hand that you can make into a similar shape as yarn. And I've heard you can do it without a hook, though I've never tried, but a hook only costly a few bucks.

Oh man, I'm so jealous cause I LOVE making baby stuff! (and I want to have kids so BAD but I'm not ready and sometimes I worry my boyfriend will never be) It's really fun and easy (cause they're so small, it goes way faster)

The thing with crocheting is that it's not like knitting, knitting is all complicated and you need patterns and all that. But crocheting you can just wing it. Once you know how to make the chain, then how to turn it, you can really make anything.

Good luck in all your endeavors whether they be simple hobbies or greater feats like raising your son :) And happy mothers day (month)!!!!

Luthien

I completely understand, pregnancy can totally change your whole world. There will be plenty of time for other things when you're not having to deal with your body and your hormones being under the control of another. I'm terrified of being pregnant, I feel like I would be such a raging b*tch! I'm difficult enough to deal with NOW.

Emily_G

It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I thought I was going to cry all the time...but I cry about the same as I did before. The WORST was the morning sickness that lasted all day and night until about week 20. That was so horrible, I was basically bed-ridden. Not being able to roll over in bed or get up from bed without great difficulty isn't all that great either, lol...hopefully he will come soon!

I had to have something on at all times. I was so terrified of being alone and quiet with my own thoughts that I even had to listen to something when I went to sleep at night.

This best describes the foundation of my relationship with television. Television, or anything that makes noise really, is my companion.

EscapeArtist

Congratulations Emily! That's wonderful that you're having a baby.

Onto the fairly unrelated topic of TV and radio.. Radio? The radio channels here are all pop-music-junk. I listen to music on the computer though.. which I don't even have the energy for sometimes. I'm so lazy lately, as you described it, it's easier to be a robot and clean and watch tv and don't absorb myself in anything. Sadly this is how I am lately. But the cable has been out for the last 2 weeks because it's a spendy bill to pay, so well that's kind of when I found this website. I was a TV-ZOMBIE. But it motivated me to go outside a lottttt easier, because I was into travel shows.

Luthien

Congratulations Emily! That's wonderful that you're having a baby.

Onto the fairly unrelated topic of TV and radio.. Radio? The radio channels here are all pop-music-junk. I listen to music on the computer though.. which I don't even have the energy for sometimes. I'm so lazy lately, as you described it, it's easier to be a robot and clean and watch tv and don't absorb myself in anything. Sadly this is how I am lately. But the cable has been out for the last 2 weeks because it's a spendy bill to pay, so well that's kind of when I found this website. I was a TV-ZOMBIE. But it motivated me to go outside a lottttt easier, because I was into travel shows.

I guess when I said radio, I meant talk radio or news. I can't even remember the last time I listened to the radio for music, I sort of forget that there is anything else on the radio other than NPr. I hate most music on the radio, and the commercials drive me bonkers. When I listen to "music radio" it's Pandora. For a long time I couldn't listen to any music because it just made me feel bad about myself (I would hear a beautiful, simple song and think "That's so simple! Why didn't I think of that? Why can't I write beautiful music like that??")

Don't get down on yourself if you're in a slump. It happens to me all the time! Just remember, your life is like a wheel spinning constantly, if you're on the down swing now, it's only a matter of time until you feel up again. If you want to be a robot and that's what makes you feel good right now then do it! The fact that you wish you didn't feel that way is enough to help you know that someday you'll be back to feeling motivated. When I get all blah feeling, I just sit around and do nothing and eventually I get so sick of doing nothing that I start doing stuff again. I guess I would say don't fight it.

Luthien

This best describes the foundation of my relationship with television. Television, or anything that makes noise really, is my companion.

It is so easy to get lost in it. I suppose I would still be attached to it if I hadn't run out of shows to watch. Luckily, I'm not as intensely plagued by terrible thoughts as I used to be so it's not as much of a necessity, though there are those times when I start thinking really awful thoughts and I can't seem to get them to stop, that's when I blast the radio.

Emily_G

I've never thought about it that way. I think I am the same way. When hubby is at work I am either watching TV or listening to music while I use the computer/clean house. Silence makes me more lonely....having sound there makes me less lonely. woah, never thought about it like that...that makes sense. I grew up in a noisy household...lots of kids, maybe that has something to do with it too?