What role does TV and radio play in your life?

Luthien

I've never thought about it that way. I think I am the same way. When hubby is at work I am either watching TV or listening to music while I use the computer/clean house. Silence makes me more lonely....having sound there makes me less lonely. woah, never thought about it like that...that makes sense. I grew up in a noisy household...lots of kids, maybe that has something to do with it too?

sounds like it! I grew up pretty alone, so I don't think that it's a loneliness thing for me. I love to be alone. I use tv and radio to drown out my thoughts. I had a lot of anxiety and other issues for most of my adult life, but I just ignored it until a year ago. For some reason living with my best friend while she was pregnant (which meant that I was taking care of her three year old and also taking in all her emotions and issues because that just happens to me), dealing with her partner who is a big jerk, having tons of responsibilities (for the first time in my life paying rent and bills and all that and running a landscaping business) drove me over the edge more and more. But I was able to deal with it until one day I heard on the radio that a friend of mine who was living in Mexico was brutally raped and murdered by her boyfriend. After I heard that I couldn't function at all. I stopped talking to people, I stopped going out, I was suddenly terrified of people and would hide under my desk or in my closet if anyone tried to come into my room. I was having multiple panic attacks a day that make my boyfriend think I was going to die. It was awful. For months and months the only way not to think about Sally and all the things her death brought up in me was to watch tv and listen to the radio 24/7. These days it's easier, though just writing about it is really hard. I've never told anyone before that this was what pushed me over the edge. I never talk about her at all. It just hurts so much...