What reduces your social anxiety?

Sinar_Matahari

Lack of sleep ( very strange )
Keeping my mind busy/distracted (reading a book helps)
Rational affirmations
Listening to music through headphones
Wearing sunglasses
Alcohol

Sinar_Matahari

Knowing that I am decently dressed makes me more confident.

This is also helpful. However I tend to become more anxious if I'm dressed up, elegant or am wearing high heels. I have to be dressed decent (I had a nightmare the other night that I walked out in my husband's PT sweats lol), but also be able to blend in. When I do dress up it's for me so I endure the stares and attention because once I get past that, I feel comfortable.

fife_girl

Lack of sleep ( very strange )
Keeping my mind busy/distracted (reading a book helps)
Rational affirmations
Listening to music through headphones
Wearing sunglasses
Alcohol

same list! especialy lack of sleep, its like ur too tired to care...not too good for ur well being though

Gerdje

- Can confirm the lack of sleep also, probably the brain gets so tired that It feels like "Oh well, I don't give a f***...." and I get more relaxed the longer I stay up. Ain't probably doing positive in the long run.
- Sleeping over day :rolleyes:
- Having to concentrate on something without pressure of time or someone observing/watching me.
- Isolation (sure:rolleyes:)
- Sports (mostly watching, that is)

actually these things reduce stress for me, I don't actually have any social contact doing these.

tweetebird

This is also helpful. However I tend to become more anxious if I'm dressed up, elegant or am wearing high heels. I have to be dressed decent (I had a nightmare the other night that I walked out in my husband's PT sweats lol), but also be able to blend in. When I do dress up it's for me so I endure the stares and attention because once I get past that, I feel comfortable.

I am the same way. I want to know I look decent when going out, but I purposely downplay my looks. I wear jeans and tshirts, glasses instead of contacts, and lately I've also been wearing my hair back in twisted bun as I noticed I got stared at much less lol.

Obstacle 1

The right company can make even the most daunting things bearable. Having someone you can bounce your thoughts off of, or even with the same sense of humour can really make a difference.

Silentknight

Knowing that I am decently dressed makes me more confident.

I didn't really think much about that until I read your post and your right.
Now that I think about it it's probably the biggest thing for me I can't leave my house without looking the way I feel most comfortable :( that sounds bad

Logical Anxiety

1. Staying at home
2. Having a conversation that is going quite well (raises confidence.)
3. Hanging out with 2 or 3 people in public. (less awkwardness than walking alone)
4. Knowing that I'm not looking 'out of place' in public

Diend

I know that many of us never feel truly comfortable when in a social situation, but let's try to pinpoint what kind of things help reduce it from the worst time ever, to not quite the worst time ever ;)

For me:
-Being with people I have known for many years.
-A social situation of only 4-6 people (one on one is too much anxiety, as well as large groups).
-A situation where there is a specific topic being discussed, versus trying to engage in small talk.
-A situation where there is an activity (like a boardgame or art project) rather than just conversation.

What about you?

-Like you, when it's structured activity and not free play.
-If I feel like I dressed stylish today
-If I made a ridiculously cool shot in Basketball today
-If I'm complimented throughout the day
-If I score the highest on a test that day
-If a girl compliments me that day
-If somebody new talks to me that day (as in somebody I've never spoken to before)
-If an upperclassmen acknowledges me or an underclassmen admired me today