What methods are helping you with SA?

williamreinsch

Not sure if i've posted anything similar before, been awhile since coming on here. Just wanted to know what methods people have been using and what's been working or not?

The last couple of years i've really gone on my own individual journey trying to solve it. Seems to be benefiting me far more than any self help books or techniques on the internet (not that they are not useful). Maybe it's just because learning things for yourself compared to being told is like a firework to a sparkler. Maybe SA is much more a personal thing and can only be truly improved by going on an individual path of solving it. I don't know but it seems to be working here.

Let me know your experiences and what your trying out at the moment :)

Sacrament

Eating better (going for smoothies instead of fatty foods, etc), exercising, challenging non-productive thoughts, changing self-speech through repetition, reminding myself to love myself and focus on what the moment has to offer instead of worrying about what ifs, making peace with yesterday.

None of these are easy, but I believe them to be some of the best ways to go.

williamreinsch

Eating better (going for smoothies instead of fatty foods, etc), exercising, challenging non-productive thoughts, changing self-speech through repetition, reminding myself to love myself and focus on what the moment has to offer instead of worrying about what ifs, making peace with yesterday.

None of these are easy, but I believe them to be some of the best ways to go.

Yeah I like that making peace with yesterday part. Very hard to do but when you can let things go you really start moving forward I guess. I get hung up on the stupidest things :/ and when you look back it's worrying how much energy you wasted dwelling on it.

Sacrament

Whatever happened happened. You have two choices: keep thinking about what could have been different, about what you could have done and so on, or accept that it happened, learn from it, and use that knowledge to grow.

Last edited:

Xion

Well, if you ask me, I try a lot of things like watching films, playing sports and games. But any of this doesn't solve my SA problems at all.
But there's only one thing that is curing my SA. It's the endless help from a certain girl in my class. Really, she helps me with everything even if I don't ask her to. I have amazing conversations with her.. She is veey supportive.
I know that you can't just go and start a conversation.
My SA problem is slowly dissapearing.! You can say I got lucky since she was the one who started conversations with me.

The last couple of years i've really gone on my own individual journey trying to solve it. Seems to be benefiting me far more than any self help books or techniques on the internet (not that they are not useful). Maybe it's just because learning things for yourself compared to being told is like a firework to a sparkler. Maybe SA is much more a personal thing and can only be truly improved by going on an individual path of solving it. I don't know but it seems to be working here
I gave up on people/social/etc many years ago tbh, but if your SA bothers you & you want to try remedy it, well i would certainly agree that you are the person who can help you the most. In fact, i would say from experience, that the principle applies to practically all problems one may have. Why? I think it's due to the fact that each person (on spw or not) is unique, and therefore their problems are unique (to varying degrees). I've found that even with therapists/etc, 99% of the help i've gained is due to my own inward inspirations as a result of what both them & me were saying (you know "all the answers are within", that sort of thing)

williamreinsch

Well, if you ask me, I try a lot of things like watching films, playing sports and games. But any of this doesn't solve my SA problems at all.
But there's only one thing that is curing my SA. It's the endless help from a certain girl in my class. Really, she helps me with everything even if I don't ask her to. I have amazing conversations with her.. She is veey supportive.
I know that you can't just go and start a conversation.
My SA problem is slowly dissapearing.! You can say I got lucky since she was the one who started conversations with me.

That's great to hear, it seems rare but there are some very special caring people out there :) Hope to hear how you get on!

williamreinsch

I gave up on people/social/etc many years ago tbh, but if your SA bothers you & you want to try remedy it, well i would certainly agree that you are the person who can help you the most. In fact, i would say from experience, that the principle applies to practically all problems one may have. Why? I think it's due to the fact that each person (on spw or not) is unique, and therefore their problems are unique (to varying degrees). I've found that even with therapists/etc, 99% of the help i've gained is due to my own inward inspirations as a result of what both them & me were saying (you know "all the answers are within", that sort of thing)

It seems to be the case definitely, therapy and all the help out there is good especially if you're in urgent need (then you will need someone). But they all can only give you so much, you're right that 99% of it is down to you. Everyone's a totally unique person with totally unique problems :)
Which in a strange way is kind of nice to think.

I wish you the best and hope you get better, i'm a bit of a hermit atm too, keeping busy though even if it doesn't involve going out much seems to help at least a little. :thumbup:

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
The biggest thing that has helped me improve (take note I said 'improved', because although I have improved a lot I'm certainly not free from SA) is I have learnt to care a lot less about what others may or may not think of me.

I have learned to accept myself.
I have learned that I will never be a social butterfly (even if thats what I wanted to be).
I have learned that I am normal, although socially different from most others.

I CAN pretend to be socially mainstream if I want to, but really.. I'm much happier being just me.
And all those who think I'm weird, or there's something wrong with me just because I don't stand about talking crap all day.. they can shove their head up their backsides.

:)

Xion

That's great to hear, it seems rare but there are some very special caring people out there :) Hope to hear how you get on!

Thanks. And now I am able to start conversations with her and she listens to me like she is very interested in what I say.
You are right! These kinds of people are very rare.
Do you attend college or work? There might be a caring person among your colleagues.

BlazeBlue

Not sure if i've posted anything similar before, been awhile since coming on here. Just wanted to know what methods people have been using and what's been working or not?

The last couple of years i've really gone on my own individual journey trying to solve it. Seems to be benefiting me far more than any self help books or techniques on the internet (not that they are not useful). Maybe it's just because learning things for yourself compared to being told is like a firework to a sparkler. Maybe SA is much more a personal thing and can only be truly improved by going on an individual path of solving it. I don't know but it seems to be working here.

Let me know your experiences and what your trying out at the moment :)

I think self-help techniques and audio books are only useful if you actually apply them to real life. What I normally do for the past 3 years is:

1) Drink 8 oz of water and 8 oz of green tea first thing in the morning (No caffeine)
2) Stretch when I get out of bed and do 5 jumps
3) Write down 5 things I need to do for the day before brushing/washing my face
4) Make an effort to smile back at random strangers if they smile at me
5) Say Hi to the receptionist at the front desk
6) Say Good morning to my co-workers
7) Listen to SA audio book
8) Meditate in the dark for 5 minutes before going to bed

And that's a fulfilled day for me (for now) :)

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I've found that even with therapists/etc, 99% of the help i've gained is due to my own inward inspirations

Thats because therapists cannot cure. They can only help someone see their own problems, and a good therapist will guide and assist. But yes, true and lasting help comes from within oneself. :thumbup: