What kind of therapy are you following?

Felicidad

I´m working on cognitive-behabioral therapy. I tried other kinds before but I see this kind one as the most complete. This is only my personal opinion, of course. I think like this because it´s not only helping me with my social exposure(getting a lower level of anxiety) but also it helping me to recognise my irrational thoughts and dismatling their truthfulness. This theraphy is my last hopeless, so I decided to work seriously on it.

What about you?:)

StonedBob

I'm working on ISTDP (Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy). I didn't choose my psychologist because she was doing ISTDP but because she speaks french (I'm in the Netherlands for the moment and it's far easier for me to share my problems in french ::eek::). Because it's the first therapy I'm doing, I cannot tell if it's the most efficient for me, but I have seen progress since I have begin this therapy. The first point is that now I know I have SA (never heard about it before), and in a way it helped me to understand myself better, and to stop hating me. Secondly, with the help of my psychologist, we may have found some of the reasons of my anxiety. I'm also much more accurate in my "inner-self" analysises. She also try to make me more compassionate about myself.
I think it's also a quite complete therapy because there's an analytic part, where we're trying to find the origins of my anxiety, and a more behabioral part, where I have some small "exercices" to do.

Because it's not very famous for the moment, here a some website aboute ISTDP : ISTDP-home page and Intensive short-term dynamic psychotherapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lettypagb

CBT but is not really going all that great , because i am just so high all the time with the meds and all.

My psychologist hasn't specifically named what it is I'm doing, but when I read about CBT that's exactly what I'm doing. Also having actually therapy to find the root of my SA and panic and such. And exposure therapy, though I guess that's part of CBT too.

Felicidad

My psychologist hasn't specifically named what it is I'm doing, but when I read about CBT that's exactly what I'm doing. Also having actually therapy to find the root of my SA and panic and such. And exposure therapy, though I guess that's part of CBT too.

Yes, therapy exposure is mainly to low your anxiety level.
Good luck!:)

Felicidad

I'm working on ISTDP (Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy). I didn't choose my psychologist because she was doing ISTDP but because she speaks french (I'm in the Netherlands for the moment and it's far easier for me to share my problems in french ::eek::). Because it's the first therapy I'm doing, I cannot tell if it's the most efficient for me, but I have seen progress since I have begin this therapy. The first point is that now I know I have SA (never heard about it before), and in a way it helped me to understand myself better, and to stop hating me. Secondly, with the help of my psychologist, we may have found some of the reasons of my anxiety. I'm also much more accurate in my "inner-self" analysises. She also try to make me more compassionate about myself.
I think it's also a quite complete therapy because there's an analytic part, where we're trying to find the origins of my anxiety, and a more behabioral part, where I have some small "exercices" to do.

Because it's not very famous for the moment, here a some website aboute ISTDP : ISTDP-home page and Intensive short-term dynamic psychotherapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Merci Beaucoup!:) et Bon Chance!

Felicidad

Your therapy seems pretty interesting. It´s quite complete. This is my last opportunity if CBT doesn´t work I´ll try this one.:)

Felicidad

CBT but is not really going all that great , because i am just so high all the time with the meds and all.

Would you meant that your meds low your mood or just the oppossite?
Sorry, but I didn´t understand very well.
There are also other therapies that can help you more. So I did this thread.
Good luck!

gale

Its really very advantageous to live in the western world coz you can even choose which therapy you like.Here in my country therapy is only for the rich guys not for the economically challenge guys like me.Ive never tried a single therapy in my entire life.I only found out that I have a disorder like this through this kind of websites,thanks to the internet.I wish I was born in the western world.

sabbath9

Banned
Its really very advantageous to live in the western world coz you can even choose which therapy you like.Here in my country therapy is only for the rich guys not for the economically challenge guys like me.Ive never tried a single therapy in my entire life.I only found out that I have a disorder like this through this kind of websites,thanks to the internet.I wish I was born in the western world.

Actually the therapy that has helped me the most has been a self-help therapy called Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). Although there are a few therapists that use ACT, I have only done ACT through self-help workbooks. The workbooks cost about $20, which is great because when I started using ACT I was unemployed.

And according to the book Mad In America: Bad Science, Bad Medicine, and The Enduring Mistreatment of the Mentally Ill, third world countries are treating mental illness more successfully than industrialized countries.

Skog

Ok, you have not to bother in giving me and explanation, your therapy is explained in Stick articles, pages...about avoidant. Exactly in Skog´s replay.
Thank you!:)

Huh? What's my name doing in here?

I'm self-treating - which just means fretting over stuff and wishing people behaved differently.

Perfidion

Exposure therapy. Basically forcing myself to go out and interact, no matter how traumatic it happens to be. I still feel like everyone is staring at me, but occasionally I pause and look around and discover that it's not true. People have better things to do than stare slack-jawed at me. I also try to look more approachable. I've found that if you walk casually, as opposed to stalking menacingly down the street, and make a conscious attempt not to scowl, glare or otherwise look intimidating, people are a lot friendlier. It's not easy, especially when you're so wary of people, but so far it seems to be working.

I still won't go to parties though. I actually believe that even if I didn't have SA, I'd still hate parties.

Felicidad

Huh? What's my name doing in here?

I'm self-treating - which just means fretting over stuff and wishing people behaved differently.

Skob! you posted on the thread about giving information for avoidants, about a web page where are all sort of therapies explained.
And I asked a question to a member about what Transactional Analysis Counselling cosisted? TAC is explain in this wed. Thank you!
Forgive me if I disn´t understand well.