What is "Normal"?

aNOTfox

What, to you, is normal? (As in someone without social anxiety)
This is something I've been thinking recently when I was thinking what my aim was in terms of recovery. I often think that I'll be "recovered" when I have super-confidence. But then I think that its only natural to be shy and that many "normal people" get anxious in public.
So what in your opinion is Normal or "recovered"? And how do you expect to feel when you are recovered?

surewhynot

I have social anxiety, though I don't consider myself sick by any means. What is normal? Well, there is no such thing as normal. We're all different, that's it. My goal is to find a way to cope with who I am, not to change. Self-acceptance is key.

A Many Splendored Thing

People are shy, but they don't have debilitating fear.

I think our DNA tells us people we know are 'good' and be 'weary' of strangers. Except with social anxiety it's more like fear everybody.

Our brains seem to shut down at a certain level of fear... at least, mine does. I would like to at least be able to think well enough to function.

I can't even chat 1 on 1 on these forums due to fear. Medication has helped in certain aspects, but it's still not fool-proof.

I don't even know what normal levels of anxiety would be anymore.

laure15

When I think of normal people, I think of people who have acceptable levels of social skills, having higher levels of happiness, sometimes smiling, and having a genuine interest in their lives as well as in the lives of others. Many of us with SA don't have good social skills, plus we tend to be depressed too. Some of us lost interest in life.

The only constant I can see amongst all of mankind (normality) is diversity. Part of why I am so confused is because i haven't been able to crack this human thing because it's different everywhere.

Instead I just do my own thing. Interpret thing on the spot and analyse rather then asking questions. Which is normal to me, not so much so to others if I may take their word for it.

mikebird

Banned
If there was a simple cure for social anxiety, we would have found it on Google or Wikipedia by now; we wouldn't flock to this website.

It's complicated. There are unique cases for everyone.

There could be a ratio of SA or non-SA people on the planet, if a psy-scientist did the research. Assuming 50:50, one half of the population has to meet and get on with the other half. We have to remould ourselves to be someone else that suits someone else, to dig out of an individual hole, and I see it as possible. More than just a button for that. Determination and willingness are what I have, but it all depends on other flamboyant people to change for. Not much good just resetting our personal goals.

This website exists for us. That's great. I see a hybrid addition to it, to encourage normal people to join, if they want to meet anxious, shy people to make friends with or get married, flouting a new logo or description

Or there could be a new dating site engineered purely to get people together and accept the other, tolerate, compromise and adapt to each other :shyness: :applause:

Last edited:

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I have social anxiety, though I don't consider myself sick by any means. What is normal? Well, there is no such thing as normal. We're all different, that's it. My goal is to find a way to cope with who I am, not to change. Self-acceptance is key.

You pretty much sumed up my thoughts.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I want to say something, feel free to tell me if I'm wrong.

I feel like many of you assume that the so called "normal" people are happy, social people with no problems to deal with. When I read some posts it makes me feel as if some of you separate people with mental issues from normals.

Well, let me just tell you this. Those you call "normal" people have sh*t to deal with just like we do. They have bad days, they have stress, they can feel sad, they might want to be left alone at times. They don't live their entire lives smiling and socializing.

I am dealing with SA, Depression and other things while my neighbour is a social person, but a nervous wreck when she returns home, she's also divorced and left alone with a really troubled kid and a deaf mother.
The group of uberly loud people at my school were well... loud, obviously very social, they seemed really happy, but I remember hearing one of them mentioning their parents being divorced, another one was having some job issues.
My teacher, who is a famous cartoonist who makes sh*t tons of money, had to close one of his schools because he was starting to have health problems. Docs had to tell him to take it easy or he was going to have even more problems. I remember he was really sad about it. He is a social person by the way, has no problem at all speaking in public, getting into giant crowds, he's very confident, maybe even a little too much, yet he has stuff to deal with.
Then this girl... This girl I've met who seemed like she had absolutely no troubles in her life. She was so ignorant, so shallow, had so little understanding of other people's feelings that talking to her made me cringe. She talked to A LOT of people as well, seemed kind of popular. For a moment I thought she was lucky, until I saw how she was doing relationship-wise. She had no deep bonds with anyone (hence, no actual friends), her partners lasted nothing because of her shallow, egocentric behavior. I keep thinking she's not going to have a real relationship, ever. She's going to have a lot of disappointment in her life, because not everyone will be there to kiss her a$$ and put up with her self-centered attitude. To make it worse, she doesn't realize this, so she's going to feel even worse, not knowing why people dump her. Really, really sad.

And those are just a few examples.

Just saying, just because you see people smiling and talking to each other, it doesn't mean they come back home and continue being all cheery. Just because someone is successful at something, it doesn't mean their lives are perfect. I've met a lot of people who looked "normal", but I've found out a lot of things about them later that made me think I'm grateful to be me and not them. Nobody is normal. Everyone is messed up in their own unique way.

surewhynot

I want to say something, feel free to tell me if I'm wrong.

I feel like many of you assume that the so called "normal" people are happy, social people with no problems to deal with. When I read some posts it makes me feel as if some of you separate people with mental issues from normals.

Well, let me just tell you this. Those you call "normal" people have sh*t to deal with just like we do. They have bad days, they have stress, they can feel sad, they might want to be left alone at times. They don't live their entire lives smiling and socializing.

I am dealing with SA, Depression and other things while my neighbour is a social person, but a nervous wreck when she returns home, she's also divorced and left alone with a really troubled kid and a deaf mother.
The group of uberly loud people at my school were well... loud, obviously very social, they seemed really happy, but I remember hearing one of them mentioning their parents being divorced, another one was having some job issues.
My teacher, who is a famous cartoonist who makes sh*t tons of money, had to close one of his schools because he was starting to have health problems. Docs had to tell him to take it easy or he was going to have even more problems. I remember he was really sad about it. He is a social person by the way, has no problem at all speaking in public, getting into giant crowds, he's very confident, maybe even a little too much, yet he has stuff to deal with.
Then this girl... This girl I've met who seemed like she had absolutely no troubles in her life. She was so ignorant, so shallow, had so little understanding of other people's feelings that talking to her made me cringe. She talked to A LOT of people as well, seemed kind of popular. For a moment I thought she was lucky, until I saw how she was doing relationship-wise. She had no deep bonds with anyone (hence, no actual friends), her partners lasted nothing because of her shallow, egocentric behavior. I keep thinking she's not going to have a real relationship, ever. She's going to have a lot of disappointment in her life, because not everyone will be there to kiss her a$$ and put up with her self-centered attitude. To make it worse, she doesn't realize this, so she's going to feel even worse, not knowing why people dump her. Really, really sad.

And those are just a few examples.

Just saying, just because you see people smiling and talking to each other, it doesn't mean they come back home and continue being all cheery. Just because someone is successful at something, it doesn't mean their lives are perfect. I've met a lot of people who looked "normal", but I've found out a lot of things about them later that made me think I'm grateful to be me and not them. Nobody is normal. Everyone is messed up in their own unique way.

Absolutely. :thumbup:

coyote

...Just saying, just because you see people smiling and talking to each other, it doesn't mean they come back home and continue being all cheery. Just because someone is successful at something, it doesn't mean their lives are perfect. I've met a lot of people who looked "normal", but I've found out a lot of things about them later that made me think I'm grateful to be me and not them. Nobody is normal. Everyone is messed up in their own unique way.

yeah, but if that's true, we can't claim to be special and complain that life is unfair - and we might have to take responsibility for our own problems and do something about them :sad:

JackOfSpades

That's very true, but for some people with SP or maybe more correctly GAD, (I live in NYC so its sometimes hard to even draw a distinction) there is no recess or true solace. It's a constant for some. I know that can be said for plenty of other ailments, but I think there is some difference between those who constantly suffer from something and those who do not. I think some people without social phobia do constantly suffer from something else, and some people frankly don't.

A Many Splendored Thing

yeah, but if that's true, we can't claim to be special and complain that life is unfair - and we might have to take responsibility for our own problems and do something about them :sad:

I know you're being sarcastic, but life isn't fair.

Something went terribly wrong along the way if social anxiety appears in a social species. In fact, if I ever have a chance at having children, I would adopt rather than pass on this disease. Is it sad that I just pictured someone laughing at the thought of me having children?...

I have been laughed at, avoided, and talked down to way too often to believe life is fair. These asshats might not even realize what they're doing.

Honestly, these people jabber on about crap then I come along and thanks to whatever seems to be wrong with me, I look stupid to them. If they're so intelligent, why don't they see how stupid they are. I see my stupidity all too often...

They might notice like me... I don't know. Just annoyed...

JackOfSpades

Well I don't think it's all genetic to say that it'd be passed down, but I understand disposition. I think a fair bit of it is in nurture though, and the things that happened to us. A lot of us may have had very bad mirrors and reinforcers. And I think those things are important to child rearing.

truffleshuffle

To me there is no normal. Normal is what is normal to you,you can't go by what is normal to someone else or what they deem normal to be because there normal could be something crazy to you but its normal to them. Everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side but infact in my opinion its just the same everyone has bad days and problmes even the so called "Normal" people

coyote

To me there is no normal. Normal is what is normal to you,you can't go by what is normal to someone else or what they deem normal to be because there normal could be something crazy to you but its normal to them. Everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side but infact in my opinion its just the same everyone has bad days and problmes even the so called "Normal" people

Normal exists - i've been there

A Many Splendored Thing

Well I don't think it's all genetic to say that it'd be passed down, but I understand disposition. I think a fair bit of it is in nurture though, and the things that happened to us. A lot of us may have had very bad mirrors and reinforcers. And I think those things are important to child rearing.

I believe it's both nature and nurture. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter if I have a genetic son/daughter. I could still make a child's life better(hopefully) and have those family moments with them by adopting.

I'd say depression would have to at least be based somewhat on genetics, and triggered by outer influences. Generally when I'm extremely stressed(exposure to people), I become much more depressed afterward.

There isn't any definition of normal, but there is depression. If a person is generally happy and self-sustainable, I would consider that to be normal; it doesn't matter what they do that makes them happy. Depression is not normal, because who could live in this hell?