What is it that we're afraid to show since we block our "true selves"?

Ispoke

Have any answer to this? In SA there's no flow in social life, so your become detached from the situation. The more you do this, the more conscious you are of situations. The more you speak and listen focused, the more you're part of the situation, the less your speak more you fuel your brain with SA thoughts and feelings.

But why do we shut up? What happens if everyone in here just lost the filter?

laure15

I don’t want to show my emotional, vulnerable, childish side to other people. If I started acting like myself, they will see that I’m immature and somewhat emotionally volatile. I don’t want people to gossip negatively about me or dislike me so I usually don’t open up to people.

I also don’t want to get too close to people so I don’t talk much in social situations. I am avoidant and somewhat distrustful of other people. I’m also not good with maintaining friendships so why should I get new friends when I have trouble maintaining current friendships?

There’s not much motivation for me to talk to other people. I am quiet by nature and if I don’t need anything from a person, I don’t talk to them. And I have no problem with being alone.

Lamb

Afraid to reveal that I'm very sensitive to criticism and judgement, as well as naive. Fragile self-esteem. Not many people need to know that since they may take advantage of the knowledge.

Agree with Laure15 on friendship. It takes alot of give and take to maintain them. I never seemed to manage them effectively. Once people start to form a closer bond and gain expectations from me, I get stressed out and push away. I try to keep my expectations of others low so I'm not set up for any surprises.

Quinzio

But why do we shut up?

It's fear. Reaction to fear are fight, flight or freeze

When an animal is afraid to be under attack and doesn't know where to hide it freezes, it doesn't move, doesn't make a sound. Then we shut up.