What do you think about psychiatrists?

ScaredToBreathe

what is your opinion on psychiatrists and such? have you ever had one or any type of therapist? do you think they help at all or make a difference? have you tried CBT or any other therapy and did it work?

i've never seen a psychiatrist before but i might. the only professional person i've seen that was suppose to help me was a social worker, and that was before i knew i had SA. i think she just thought i was shy or something. she wasnt very understanding and she misinterpreted everything i said, she really only made matters worse and made me feel even more anxious. i know a psychiatrist would be much more understanding, but it seems that only others suffering from SA can understand it the best and give each other courage to go on, and to fight their SA.

decadeOfSA

Psychiatrists, in general, will try to find a quick fix by prescribing drugs. Usually they will start with an antidepressant and continue on until the find one that works, if one will work at all. If antidepressants don't work, then they will go to benzos.

I think it's worth trying antidepressants, but don't hooked on benzos, believe me.

Also, a psychotherapist using CBT will get to the root of the problem and it will probably be a better solution in long run. It might take many sessions and a lot of homework before you see results and you possibly may not see results ever. It's worth trying though. Some people benefit from drugs or psychotherapy.

Last edited:

WeirdyMcGee

You have to be willing to change and do the work and help yourself-- in order for them to help you.

So, no. None of my experiences with therapists, psychiatrists, natruopaths have been successful. I'm not the type who feels better after talking about something- I often feel worse. After revisiting my pain, I can't ever get past it and I can't forget about it. I find that psychiatrists/therapists can help people out quite a bit-- psychiatrists more for the medication aspect (you may have to try 10 or 20 different prescriptions before finding one that works for you) and therapists for the talking aspect.

But psychiatrists can't magically fix you, remember. You have to want to change in order to actually fix yourself.

EscapeArtist

What Mcgee said, you have to want to help yourself first.

They didn't help me because I couldn't trust them and tell them the truth,and when I did I wouldn't take their advice because I have "I can do it all alone, I don't need your help" syndrome.

Apotheosis

Psychiatrists cannot change you. There is no miracle pill or revelatory therapy; any change within that occurs is a direct result of your own resolution to approach life in a new way. While psychiatrists may help you find the motivation or pull you out of a difficult, dark period, to achieve true renewal of mind and body you must decide for yourself to make that change - whatever change you feel ought to be made.

decadeOfSA

Psychiatrists or psychotherapists haven't helped me much (except with benzos which I don't recommend). either, though I haven't done much CBT. I don't have the $ at the moment to afford enough sessions. SAD is a pretty hard disorder to treat. That doesn't mean it isn't worth seeing one. They have helped some of us out.

I would recommend a psychotherapist using CBT over a psychiatrist though, but there is a chance a pill may work for you.

CBT psychotherapy works, but it usually takes many sessions and a lot of work on your part. You need to figure out the irrational thoughts you are thinking that make you anxious and counter them with positive thoughts. You also have to somehow associate people with relaxation, instead of anxiety. You can do this with several behavioral methods learned in psychotherapy.

Honestly I would try both though. Pills do work for some of us, though I advise against benzos. An antidepressant, like Paxil may help in the short term, while you work on getting to the root of your problem with CBT psychotherapy. The drug propranolol is worth trying too.

There's a lot of bad psychiatrists and especially psychotherapists out there. You have to be empowered with knowledge about your condition and also psychology, in order to get better. Just talk therapy will not work. You need actual CBT where you actively counter your thoughts and desensitize yourself to what makes you anxious. Most of the therapists I have seen were too passive. You need a good therapist that is proactive and pushes you to do homework.

Here's a good book to read:

Amazon.com: The Shyness & Social Anxiety Workbook: Proven, Step-By-Step Techniques for Overcoming Your Fear (9781572245532): Martin M. Antony, Richard P. Swinson: Books

It will help educate you about SAD and how to improve it.

lyricalliaisons

A psychiatrist & therapist are two different things.

I've had good psychiatrists (currently on my second because my first transferred to another city), but have had bad luck with therapists. CBT does not work for me. It only makes me worse. Therapists also don't understand that doing more makes me worse, not better.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

They help if you let them, and if they listen more than prescribe things. Key is when you find a "good" one, you allow them to help you.

CBT makes it worse initially - that makes sense, facing your fears and doing rather than avoiding is scary, uncomfortable, difficult, grabs at your nerves. But with the right guidance (understanding by who is guiding your through the CBT process), which is key, perhaps more than just CBT alone, imo - is one of the most beneficial things. But we all need our own pace - it's change of many things - change is never easy.