What do you guys think of this?

scorpion

sabbath92001 wrote:

Your agoraphobia prevents you from working, yet you think you can travel the country by yourself? Time for a reality check.

SA works for people, people, people.
Everything is fine if there is not a person around.

The confort zone can folow a person if it is not threathen, and threaths often came from PEOPLE

You dont have a ideia about what is social ansiety

scorpion said:
sabbath92001 wrote:

Your agoraphobia prevents you from working, yet you think you can travel the country by yourself? Time for a reality check.

SA works for people, people, people.
Everything is fine if there is not a person around.

The confort zone can folow a person if it is not threathen, and threaths often came from PEOPLE

You dont have a ideia about what is social ansiety

and you can't spell

scorpion said:
I am sorry but this is not my mother language.
I will buy a dictionary.

That's okay, I was just trying to be facetious. The "Post A Reply" page has a built in spell check and dictionary.com helps too.

Generical

Sabbath92001 said:

SilentType said:
Agoraphobia, for me, is a fear of fear itself.

If he's willing to live by camping in a car then this is maybe something that agoraphobia doesn't affect him by. Agoraphobia has it's generalisations, the things that cause it are different in everyone just like sp, in silent's case it could be (im just guessing) from living in 'normal' society and something like a job etc......which he's avoiding.

I think he's going to of thought 'wait is my agoraphobia going to be a problem' already.

Generical said:
in silent's case it could be (im just guessing) from living in society and something like a job etc......which he's avoiding.

Agoraphobia and anxiety aren't the problems, avoidance is. Running away is just another form of avoidance. Better to spend his money learning a trade and preparing for a life of working. Believe me I've dreamt of traveling and leaving everything. But it is more satisfying to able to study and work and play where you live. Eventually when you've saved enough money then you can travel in style.

Generical

ok go ahead and contradict yourself then, avoidance isn't great i know but it is still possible that it will improve your life, you think he hasn't tried to get into a life of working?

lifes_to_long

point

Yeah good point buy a camper.
mate I'm not going to say don't go again.

but one thing I will say is you won't last living in a car when i went to switzerland I didn't eat for the whole time cus I was to scared to go in a shop lol sounds funning but it wasn't "the poor boy starved"
then because I was hypervigilant I became depressed I remember being in the airport staring at everyone cause I was so fucked in the head with hypervigilance(does anyone else suffer from hypervigilance) its horrible.You stare at everyone and you can't control it you have to be pretty far gone to get it.anyway good luck oh and I would go with but my toe nails need clipping.oli

Generical said:
ok go ahead and contradict yourself then, avoidance isn't great i know but it is still possible that it will improve your life, you think he hasn't tried to get into a life of working?

Avoidance is the enemy not social anxiety disorder. None of us should give up on a life of working. I wish it was different, I hate working just as much as everyone else. But I hate being unemployed a hell of a lot more than almost anything else.

SilentType

Banned

Why not try Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT) and learn what it is to be response-able? You claim pot can treat anxiety but you have no way to test that because you don't actually leave the house?

Sabbath I thought you were smarter than this. :eek: ...

Agoraphobia isn't necessarily a consistent condition. Mine goes on and off depending on the current experiences I'm having with my panic attacks. My diagnosis would technically be termed panic disorder w/ agoraphobia, because the panic disorder occasionally turns into debilitating agoraphobia. That's what makes me unemployable. During these periods, I tend to stay inside because I hate having panic attacks when I'm around big groups of people (and its quite hard to control when I'm around large groups).

As for your idea of me just sitting in my house smoking pot all day... I find it ridiculous. This fear of having panic attacks in certain places that I explained above is essentially what leads to an agoraphobia diagnosis, not the fact that I tend to stay inside when I'm like that. I hope I've educated you on what agoraphobia is, because you obviously have no idea after reading your post...

And for ACT, which you seem to swear by... that is essentially what I am doing in going on this journey. I am accepting my panic disorder and kind of just letting it lead me down a road less traveled. Instead of listening to the "medical professionals," who seem to be nothing more than professional moneymakers for the big pharmaceutical companies and themselves nowadays, I'm taking my own approach to recovery. Marijuana is a natural, harmless, therapeutic tool, that has been proven to help some people who suffer from anxiety disorders. It's been used for thousands of years as a stress reliever. There is no argument there.

Think about the doctors today though...the psychiatrist's first line of treatment (SSRIs) for people like us has just been proven to be no more successful than placebo... They are just passing out pills and using us as their guinea pigs. The sad part is that most people are accepting this approach, listening to the doctors and taking the drugs that the doctors get paid to prescribe. The pharmaceutical business is out of control when it comes to psychiatry. It's become more about money than healing people, and that's where I draw the line.

A new perspective on life in general is what I feel that I need right now. I will certainly achieve that goal by going on this trip.

Peace

SilentType said:
A new perspective on life in general is what I feel that I need right now. I will certainly achieve that goal by going on this trip.

ACT will give you a new perspective without putting your life in danger. No one can live on a $1000/month, let alone travel with that little income. My agoraphobia was so bad I couldn't even work from home (no crowds here). Then I found ACT and now I share a cubicle with my boss. Granted I still don't give public speeches, but earning my own money is about survival. By the way, how old are you SilentType?

Generical

I can see your point about living the normal life and it makes sense but it's not always possible and not the only way to do things. ACT might not work for everyone, have you thought that he may have tried it already? and it didnt work for him?

The fact is he's accepting his agoraphobia in his own way, he's probably tried countless methods to get a job etc. He's looking for happiness....for freedom and peace, he may not want the life of working, if you can find a way around it where your happy why the hell not.

And if it so happens that things don't turn out right for him then you can laugh from up on your podium with your wise perspective on life even though you live by a therapy that doesn't even work for everybody. it's still an experience and a huge achievement no doubt and he can learn and improve his life because of it. Just because it's a life you can't see and wouldn't want to handle it doesn't mean it can't work for other people. It's fairly obvious how for it he is so why not give some encouragement for having the balls to go out and do something he believes in.

Generical said:
And if it so happens that things don't turn out right for him then you can laugh from up on your podium with your wise perspective on life even though you live by a therapy that doesn't even work for everybody. it's still an experience and a huge achievement no doubt and he can learn and improve his life because of it.

I don't laugh at anybody who is suffering. I'm not on a podium and I'm not wise, I'm just trying to help. SilentType told me in chat that hasn't tried ACT, and that he is only 20 years old. If he wants to go to California and camp there that's fine (although I've never read of that therapy method). I'm just giving my honest opinion, anything wrong with that? Yeah sometimes an opinion is negative, but what I'm telling him is to not give up on studying and working and improving himself. Social anxiety disorder and agoraphobia are not life sentences, we can get better and live a full life.

SilentType

Banned
You dirty liar, I told you via chat that I had tried an ACT workbook and honestly, its pure bullshit in my OPINION.

I also told this clown on chat that I have been working on a training program for medical transcription with potentially a job that I can do via the internet. I always have that to fall back on sabbath. You've always got to have a backup plan, man.

Peace

SilentType said:
You dirty liar, I told you via chat that I had tried an ACT workbook and honestly, its pure bullshit in my OPINION.

Okay, sorry dude, I guess I read your reply wrong. Good luck with your trip! By the way, why are you calling me a dirty liar and/or a clown?

[15:55] <sabbath92002> have u tried ACT?
[15:55] <SPWSilentType> a book
[15:56] <SPWSilentType> not much help..

Moonie

Well, I definitely am going to support this. I am actually kind of envious because this has been a fantasy of mine. I've been itching to go to California since 6th grade.

I dabble between being a realist and idealist. And right now my idealist says 'go for it.'

I just have some questions. How old are you? Are you male? Where do you live currently? Where do you plan to sleep?

I have always dreamt about moving away from the east - just to go anywhere different. But, I don't think I could survive on my own - quite frankly. Where would I live? What if I couldn't find a job? What would my family think?

I just want to do know what your plans are, basically. I want to see if this works out. I'd be interested in following your journey.

SilentType

Banned
Hey Moonie, thanks for backing me on this whole thing. The more support I get the stronger I feel about it in a weird way...

I just have some questions. How old are you? Are you male? Where do you live currently? Where do you plan to sleep?

I'm a 20 year old male. I currently live across the country from my destination in PA. And finally, I plan to bring a tent to sleep in during the nights with pleasant weather, and in my car when the weather isn't so good.

To expand, since I know you probably have more questions like this, I'll try to aswer some that I can see comin my way. For hygiene, I would get a membership to a gym so I can shower there. Exercise and lifting weights also seems to be therapeutic for me, so thats a definite.

Moneywise, I'll have all of my college and credit card bills paid off by the time I leave, so my monthly expenses will only include my car bill ($200), insurance ($90), gas ($150-$200), and food ($125-$150, that is if I live off dollar menu food and groceries that I can store without a fridge). I'll also have to pay my cell phone bill ($60) and my credit card bill ($30 minimum payment) I'll get internet access for free at wifi hotspots. I may be underestimating the cost of food if it, in general, costs more in California than it does here in Pennsylvania, but I don't suspect that much of a difference as I had plenty of experience buying groceries for myself in college. Anyway, that would leave me with about $300 left in my monthly budget. Is there anything I'm forgetting?

(of course tragedy could strike and my car could break down or something but thats what the $3300 max on my credit card is for 8) )

Peace

[/quote]

redneck

It seems to be a great idea to do some travelling once in a while just for the sake of sanity. I would argue whether your journey is avoidance or not. If you are petrified to get out of the house and at the same time you make a decision to go it is very courageous of you. Maybe you would manage to redefine yourself while on the road?