What do you do to cope with loneliness?

sullyS25

I've just recently noticed that my anxiety gets really out of control when I am alone and seeing as how I have been alone a lot recently, I have experienced A LOT of anxiety so my question is what do you do when you feel lonely?

Please don't turn this into a negative complaining thread either, I am aware that a lot people on here are lonely like myself and it sucks but I'm not interested in talking about how bad it sucks but rather what you do when it does suck and how it helps.....Thank you.

IntheLabyrinth

Idk what you can do other than make more friends who have free time so you can spend time with them or tell the friends you do have that you would like to hang out more. I find that sitcoms, especially about friends or families, make me feel less lonely. It's a poor substitute for real friends and family but it works for me.

CrazyGirl

Drinking, I know that's bad and people say not drink alone but to me it helps numb the pain of loneliness. I also like watching funny sitcoms.

Something-Vague

When I'm lonely, I try a few different things. The first step that I will take is to try to find someone that I can talk to, whether it is a family member or a friend. If I find that I don't have anyone to talk with, I usually listen to some music because I may feel as though I can relate to the song or band/musician in some way which comforts me, but it may also help to take my mind off "negative" emotions. Lately, signing onto here has made me feel less lonely because I know that people can relate and just participating in discussions makes me feel less solitary. I think that reading can also be advantageous because I can put myself in the characters' shoes and find an escape in the story, while perhaps learning along the way. To me, there's no greater company than a good book. Also, having pets assists me in feeling less lonely. I am thinking that volunteering may help as well.

I hope that this helps in some way!

Last edited:

jaim38

When I'm lonely, I sometimes go out to talk to my parents. Exercising helps too. I also go to SPW to have some fun.

sullyS25

Drinking, I know that's bad and people say not drink alone but to me it helps numb the pain of loneliness. I also like watching funny sitcoms.

I used to do that too and it worked wonders. Then it stopped working and I found myself in rehab....I will certainly try the sitcoms thing though!

sullyS25

When I'm lonely, I try a few different things. The first step that I will take is to try to find someone that I can talk to, whether it is a family member or a friend. If I find that I don't have anyone to talk with, I usually listen to some music because I may feel as though I can relate to the song or band/musician in some way which comforts me, but it may also help to take my mind off "negative" emotions. Lately, signing onto here has made me feel less lonely because I know that people can relate and just participating in discussions makes me feel less solitary. I think that reading can also be advantageous because I can put myself in the characters' shoes and find an escape in the story, while perhaps learning along the way. To me, there's no greater company than a good book. Also, having pets assists me in feeling less lonely. I am thinking that volunteering may help as well.

I hope that this helps in some way!

That really did help, what kind of books do you enjoy reading?

Something-Vague

That really did help, what kind of books do you enjoy reading?

Really? I'm so glad! :)

I'm just getting back into reading again (College work really tends to be a hindrance to how much I'd like to read, so it's taken me a while to get through the current book I'm reading, "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov, but I'm trying!) Also, I'm not sure how one would classify the books that I read, but I can give you a few of my favorite authors and books:

Hermann Hesse (Demian, Siddhartha, Steppenwolf, Journey to the East, etc.), Kurt Vonnegut (Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five, Breakfast of Champions, etc.), Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, and The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff among others.

I also really adore children's books!

Lastly, I am trying to read "The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are" by Alan Watts. There's a free copy of it online, if you're interested: http://www.leary.ru/download/watts/Book On The Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are.pdf

I suppose that the books that I read, then, are generally of a philosophical nature or a journey of awakening in some manner.

sullyS25

Really? I'm so glad! :)

I'm just getting back into reading again (College work really tends to be a hindrance to how much I'd like to read, so it's taken me a while to get through the current book I'm reading, "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov, but I'm trying!) Also, I'm not sure how one would classify the books that I read, but I can give you a few of my favorite authors and books:

Hermann Hesse (Demian, Siddhartha, Steppenwolf, Journey to the East, etc.), Kurt Vonnegut (Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five, Breakfast of Champions, etc.), Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, and The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff among others.

I also really adore children's books!

Lastly, I am trying to read "The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are" by Alan Watts. There's a free copy of it online, if you're interested: http://www.leary.ru/download/watts/Book On The Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are.pdf

I suppose that the books that I read, then, are generally of a philosophical nature or a journey of awakening in some manner.

I LOVED that book by Alan Watts, it was amazing! Siddartha was awesome as well! I should check out more Herman Hesse for sure. Ive always wanted to read the Catcher in the Rye too, and I have The Tao of Pooh but havent read it yet haha

Something-Vague

I LOVED that book by Alan Watts, it was amazing! Siddartha was awesome as well! I should check out more Herman Hesse for sure. Ive always wanted to read the Catcher in the Rye too, and I have The Tao of Pooh but havent read it yet haha

Yes! What I have read so far of Mr. Watts I quite adore! Yes, I most definitely agree that you should read more of Hesse! I honestly really adored "The Tao of Pooh," though I am most certain not everyone will- I'm a big fan of analogies.

If you don't mind my asking, what types of books do you read? Maybe I can take some suggestions. :)

sullyS25

Yes! What I have read so far of Mr. Watts I quite adore! Yes, I most definitely agree that you should read more of Hesse! I honestly really adored "The Tao of Pooh," though I am most certain not everyone will- I'm a big fan of analogies.

If you don't mind my asking, what types of books do you read? Maybe I can take some suggestions. :)

I'm into philosophical/spiritual books myself. I enjoyed Stephen King when I was younger but haven't read much fiction lately.

One book that changed my life is called "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. I know that is a big statement to say it changed my life but after reading it I realized that I was living in a mind made prison and all of my suffering was of my own making.

Another book I love is called "Take Me to Truth: Undoing the Ego" by Nouk Sanchez and Tomas Vieira which has a pretty corny name and which is very easy to judge as stupid but it has some pretty awesome stuff in it too.

Then the is "The Disappearance of the Universe" by Gary Renard which is also amazing in my opinion!

Something-Vague

I'm into philosophical/spiritual books myself. I enjoyed Stephen King when I was younger but haven't read much fiction lately.

One book that changed my life is called "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. I know that is a big statement to say it changed my life but after reading it I realized that I was living in a mind made prison and all of my suffering was of my own making.

Another book I love is called "Take Me to Truth: Undoing the Ego" by Nouk Sanchez and Tomas Vieira which has a pretty corny name and which is very easy to judge as stupid but it has some pretty awesome stuff in it too.

Then the is "The Disappearance of the Universe" by Gary Renard which is also amazing in my opinion!

I've heard good things about Stephen King, but I've never read him- only have seen some of the movies. Philosophical/spiritual books have been my forte since I was about twelve or thirteen!

I've heard about the "The Power of Now" and all good things! I think that I will have to check that out, especially since it has had such a positive influence on you!

I've never heard of the other book, but I will at least look into it!

Thanks for the recommendations! If you need someone to talk to when you are lonely (or even when you aren't), feel free to message me. :)