What cured your SA...

Scottish_Player

For me one of the things that has REALLY helped me is teaching myself to stop caring so much and its as simple as that, i learned that iam not in this world to please other people, iam here to make the best of it as i can.

That has only part helped me but i would say its made a diffrence out of all the things ive tried like meds and herble stuff.

Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) has helped me a lot in the 13 months that I've been reading about it and practicing it.

Chrysta

I am on Lexapro. It works very well for me. I was on Paxil for awhile and it didn't do anything of me. I also have clonazepam (klonopin) for as needed use.

When I first started getting help everyone was telling me to do cognative behavioral therapy.. and I always said that I thought it was stupid and wouldn't work. Well as much as I hate to admit it... It did work. Once I put myself in the situation I was scared of I found out it wasn't nearly as bad as my mind was making it out to be. :wink:

Kevj

I suffered from depression and SA for years. What 'cured' me? Taking FULL responsibilty for my life experience. I took up a mindfulness meditaion practice and never looked back.

longlivesolitude

Kevj said:
I suffered from depression and SA for years. What 'cured' me? Taking FULL responsibilty for my life experience. I took up a mindfulness meditaion practice and never looked back.
Congratulations with the progress. Been doing a bit of meditation too and find mindfullness interesting. How much progress have you made and how have you used in in your life?

Kevj

longlivesolitude said:
Congratulations with the progress. Been doing a bit of meditation too and find mindfullness interesting. How much progress have you made and how have you used in in your life?

I've made very good progress. S.A is barely part of my life any more. There are only specific occassions where it comes up. I love my awarenessmeditation practice and wouldn't want to live without it.

blubs

My SA improves when I'm around kind, open minded sorts of people.
I work on it myself....but it helps to be given a break by people to be allowed to be yourself...even if thats a bit different from everyone else.
Recently I had a bad experience...where I became a target for a group of nasty women for a short while...& my SA is worse than ever :( .
:(

Kevj

blubs said:
I work on it myself....but it helps to be given a break by people to be allowed to be yourself...even if thats a bit different from everyone else.
Recently I had a bad experience...where I became a target for a group of nasty women for a short while...& my SA is worse than ever :( .

I think most SA suffers would agree they feel more comfortable around kind, open-minded people - who doesn't?

But, something like an awareness practice will help you realize that it doesn't matter one iota what anyone else things - only how you feel about yourself, preferably love amd total unconditional acceptance.

Kevj

blubs said:

I think most SA suffers would agree they feel more comfortable around kind, open-minded people - who doesn't?

But, something like an awareness practice will help you realize that it doesn't matter one iota what anyone else things - only how you feel about yourself, preferably love amd total unconditional acceptance.

black_mamba

Kevj said:
But, something like an awareness practice will help you realize that it doesn't matter one iota what anyone else things

This is the thing; trying to train yourself to understand that it doesn't matter if you make mistakes, this is what has helped me considerably. That and a little bit of medication and support.

I hope you're feeling better blubs.

tecknohed

NARDIL - THE KING (sort of)

Nardil (phenelzine) whipped SP's butt! :D

For the first time ever I felt free from the constraints of SP and was living life how 'I' wanted. Pitty it poops out in most cases, including mine.:(

It lasted about a year then slowly faded to near nothing. I still take it but its only at @ 10% efficiacy compared to the biginning.

However it can be 'bought back to life' with augmentation - if you can get with a good doctor that is.

I've recently added clonazepam to see if that helps. Its on & off but I need to reach a good dose - I'm still only on 1.5mg.

So Nardil can, and does 'cure' SP. Just be warned that it probably wont last on its own. :?

Kevj

Re: NARDIL - THE KING (sort of)

tecknohed said:
Nardil (phenelzine) whipped SP's butt! :D

For the first time ever I felt free from the constraints of SP and was living life how 'I' wanted. Pitty it poops out in most cases, including mine.:(

It lasted about a year then slowly faded to near nothing. I still take it but its only at @ 10% efficiacy compared to the biginning.

However it can be 'bought back to life' with augmentation - if you can get with a good doctor that is.

I've recently added clonazepam to see if that helps. Its on & off but I need to reach a good dose - I'm still only on 1.5mg.

So Nardil can, and does 'cure' SP. Just be warned that it probably wont last on its own. :?

Drugs are only ever going to be temporary. The sooner you accept that the sooner you can get on a more permanent program of recovery from SAD.

Take an SAD recovery course, excercise, practice mindful awareness - Don't take a pill, take action.........now is the moment.

garnet

self help groups

Hi all!

Just want to praise all those self-help groups out there! I have attended a few meetings and they are soooo helpful. :D

Admittedly, I was petrified of going to the first few meetings...even turning up at the venue was a big deal for me. 8O

However, I gave myself time to settle in and adjust, and the group don't expect you to contribute until you feel ready. I now make small contributions in the group and I hope to become more confident around groups of people.

I still feel anxious for the first 30mins-1hour of the meeting, but I hope this will start to diminish over time.

:?: Anyone else have any views or experiences of self-help groups?

tecknohed

Of course pills are rarely the answer, but for some people, without them they stand little chance of even taking the first step to recovery. Just think how often SP goes hand-in-hand with, or even becomes agoraphobia.

I've been on various meds for @ 9 years now almost continuously and I long to be both med free and SP free believe me. But lately, since having a new pdoc & one who's willing & prepared to listen to me & take the necessary steps, I'm actually starting to really get back on my feet again. I'm excersising in public including swimming (& wearing nothing but trunks in front of strangers!), I've searched for & found my first house to move into & I'm actually looking for work/training again. All because of a change in my meds.

I know that its still me thats actually making things happen- the meds are just tools. I had a year on Nardil when I felt 'cured' but that didn't last so no, that was NOT the answer. Didn't mean I should have given up though. And I didn't.

And I salute anyone who can recover without meds at all. Yes I've been to SA self-help meetings for @ a year, tried meditation, hypnotherapy, psychotherapy, Group therapy & years of constant councilling. Spent 1 1/2 years in a Dry house (for alcohol abuse, though I used it more for my SP). We all have a choice which route to take and have to feel around for which is the right way for ourselves. No single way is the 'right way' for everyone.

Sorry to rant but it bugs me when people knock meds just because its not 'thier way' :!: Maybe they've tried one or two and had bad experiences, or just found nothing that worked. Maybe they feel its a weekness. One thing I do know is that many people do try them & dislike them for whatever reason.
But for me, meds have been something more about determination than just giving them a try. I 'knew' they would help, but finding the right doctor can take years. And with trying to treat SA/SP with meds there's no shortcuts, at least without consequences. But thats ok 'cause I'm in this for the long haul.

I doubt this'll be the last time I go on like this so appologies before hand..... :lol: