What book or movie made you sad?

this_portrait

There was one scene in Dry by Augusten Burroughs that made me cry when I first read it. I think that was the first time a book ever made me shed a tear (however my eyes have gotten watery over other books and some movies).

Recently, The Tommyknockers by Stephen King made me a little gloomy because everyone in that book dies by the end. Well, everyone except two little boys.

Kiwong

Hm.
The book that makes me cry every time would probably be "the outsiders". A brilliant book in my opinion, but im a very emotional person so i cry easily in many books and movies. and songs. and tv ads.

I cried at this part:

“I've been thinking about it, and that poem, that guy that wrote it, he meant you're gold when you're a kid, like green. When you're a kid everything's new, dawn. It's just when you get used to everything that it's day. Like the way you dig sunsets, Pony. That's gold. Keep that way, it's a good way to be.”

The Outsiders S E Hinton

Kiwong

Gallipoli An Australian film, the ending is unforgettable, the music Oxygen by Jean Michael Jarre, gives me goosebumps.

Tale of two cities by Charles Dickens.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

And of course the ending of The Shawshank Redemption, which also fills me with hope.

"To Kill a Mocking Bird" when Scout says "Hey Boo." to Arthur "Boo" Radley, hiding shyly in the corner of the room, after saving their lives. I relate to Boo Radley's character alot, I reckon he is a sufferer of social anxiety or agoraphobia.

Platoon. The music and the film

others

Saving Privtate Ryan; Ghost;

Last edited:

GraybeardGhost

Burmese Days, by George Orwell.

It's about a socially awkward Englishman living in Burma back in the days of British rule. The ending is horrific and very, very depressing.

Also, everything I've read by John Irving (i.e., The World According to Garp, The Hotel New Hampshire). I won't even look at one of his books anymore.