what bad habits do you have that stem from sp

boredguy

I am always checking my zipper, thought i was the only one. really embarrassing to do while walking through a store.
Lie to people to avoid uncomfortable situations.
Totally ignore the phone unless a family member is calling.
Try to act tougher than i am.
Like someone else said i purposefully "forget" things in stores because i dont feel like being in there anymore.

dpr

Some of my avoidant behaviours that I've consciously tried to stop...

In my current job, we all have our own rooms. So in the past, if I came into work and a group of people were all talking (I fear large groups mostly), I would say hi briefly and walk past them and just hide out in my room, pretending to do paperwork or call someone on my cellphone or something.

Now I usually force myself to participate in the conversation until everyone disperses. It's become a lot easier, but still some days are better than others.

Another one is I used to cross my arms or hold a file folder in front of my body while talking to others, something to "shield" myself from them I guess, or wedge a barrier in between us. I have since stopped with the file folders but I still cross my arms sometimes without even knowing it I think.

I also sometimes feel like I don't know what to do with my mouth when I'm talking to someone. Eye contact is weird enough, but I always feel like if I keep my lips completely shut, that I look cold and unfriendly, uninterested. So sometimes I feel compelled to open my mouth slightly, as if I am interested, like as if I'm about to say "A ha!" or "I see!"

Dunno if anyone can relate to that, kind of strange yes? But yeah that's me, Mr. Strange. As my newfie neighbour would say, I am "quite the bird." Whatever that means.

Victor

• Taking postures that would enhance my muscles or make me look bigger and then feeling an idiot for doing that.
  • Touching my muscles to feel if they are big and hard enough and then frowning and pretending I have a sore lest somebody catch me.
  • Being sleepy or bored when in company of other people. I dont pretend: I really am!
  • Pretending non to hear what people say if I don't want to talk to them or walking straight past them as if I'm lost in important thoughts; sometimes adding a frown & quick pace.
  • If there are drinks around, playing with my glass and sipping forever to keep me busy.
  • Reading over and over something hanging from the wall so I don't have to pay attention to others.
  • Stroking my beard and sometimes plucking at its wiskers, though I do my best to refrain from this.
  • Wondering whether my pace is slow and calm enough and whether I look relaxed and in control.
  • Worrying that I may have b.o. or bad breath, even if I wash at least twice a day, brush my teeth after every meal, floss and all.