Welcome, me warmly please!

Kat

Hi, 2 U all
I’m from Adelaide. Just joined and thought I would say hi and looking forward to meeting u all. I have suffered with “Social Phobia” for several years now but have only recently decided to take a BIG step for myself and join this wonderful supportive forum! It is actually quite hard for me to even talk to people over “the internet”. My anxiety hit very hard when I was bullied during my high school years which forced me to leave school and ever since then. I have been unable to cope with interacting with others. Looking back I think I have had this problem from the age of 5.You all seem very kind and understanding which has helped me to open up a bit. I read a lot of your posts and I can relate to most. I was also glad to see the support you have shown to one another. I hope I will offer the same! :D

shyboy1

Hi there and welcome! It's good to see some more members from Adelaide around the place. I was wondering have you tried anything to help the social anxiety?

GettingThere

Hello Kat,
Your story is all too familar.

It was brave of you to tell it and I would think that it is a good and positive thing, a real step on the right path, so well done and welcome aboard. :)

Kat

shyboy1 said:
Hi there and welcome! It's good to see some more members from Adelaide around the place. I was wondering have you tried anything to help the social anxiety?

Hi, and thank you all for your warm welcomes, it is well apperciated! :D
As for treatment goes. I attended a group when i was about 16 which was very supportive and i was glad to learn that i wasn't the only one like this. I wasn't really ready at the time to overcome this problem. So now i'm just taking small steps like signing up here.

Seeyas around! :lol:

shyboy1

Does that group still exist? I'm looking at all available options at the moment. I want to prove my parents wrong and graduate from uni but I really need to overcome my SA. :cry:

Kat

shyboy1 said:
Does that group still exist? I'm looking at all available options at the moment. I want to prove my parents wrong and graduate from uni but I really need to overcome my SA. :cry:

Yea the group still exists but it only supports you till your 18 after that you need to go to Connect SA or a youth Health clinic some thing like Shop Front who will be able to give you the right connections. Good Luck!
Just out of curiosity what suburb are you from? I'm From Hillbank. :)

shyboy1

I've tried connect, i'm actually a paid member.. do you have any info on the other ones?

I'm from the western suburbs, don't want to be specific incase someone knows me...

How old are you by the way? I'm 21 tomorrow. :(

greg harwood

hi kat i have also suffered my phobia for a long long time.The worst part is the isolation from family and the opposite sex.I have found it extremly difficult to meet people while sitting at home.I found that i have to plan an outing away from home many days in advance so as not to be suddenly be confronted by tribes of people.so i hope that you are coping allright and if you need any tips on how to avoid certian situations dont be shy and text me for help

Kat

hi kat i have also suffered my phobia for a long long time.The worst part is the isolation from family and the opposite sex.I have found it extremly difficult to meet people while sitting at home.I found that i have to plan an outing away from home many days in advance so as not to be suddenly be confronted by tribes of people.so i hope that you are coping allright and if you need any tips on how to avoid certian situations dont be shy and text me for help

I still have along way to go but thankfully, I am doing a lot better then what I was.

It’s actually quite strange reading old posts lol sort of like looking at old photographs::eek::

welcome, to the forums!:)