We need some questions answered...

Englishman

I spend every waking minute of my day searching for a solution to end my palmer/planter hyperhidrosis. How can doctors say we only sweat excessively due to a "hyper active sympthetic nervous system"? That doesn't make sense to me... There MUST be something more to it than that.

I'm almost certain we suffer from some form of thyroid disease, or we are deficiant in something... Maybe our bodys have too much of something? Either way, we need to find out.

Have any suffers had a FULL body scan or check up? I mean a vigorous check throughout our whole body, I'm sick of this condition being brushed under the carpet. It's causing me severe depression/isolation and I'm slowly losing to will to live each day which passes.

nodejesque

Although I cannot relate to this condition... I just read this thread and thought maybe you'd find it helpful. Its called 4 weeks on "Robinul Forte" it was just posted earlier today by another member with the same struggles as yourself. Maybe it can help :)

J4812

aries86

I couldn't agree more. I spend a majority of my time researching information on hyperhidrosis. I want answers and i think we all more than deserve answers. It is so annoying to see this disease get brushed aside. It is absolutely debilitating. I think it is important that they find something and soon. I think it is seen as a minor problem that isn't very serious. Those of us who have it, are forced to live a different life and are unable to do many things that most people are able to do with ease. I feel like If I didn't have this my life would be so much better. It has caused me great stress, anxiety and a lifetime of embarrassment that I may never get over. I'm also not convinced that this carries no health risks or long term effects. If our bodies (or something in our bodies) is working double to triple time to produce sweat, that is hard on our systems. The scientific community needs to get serious and start doing some long term research. I'm not nor have I ever been convinced that this disease is "just a sweating problem"

Jezza

I spend every waking minute of my day searching for a solution to end my palmer/planter hyperhidrosis. How can doctors say we only sweat excessively due to a "hyper active sympthetic nervous system"? That doesn't make sense to me... There MUST be something more to it than that.

I'm almost certain we suffer from some form of thyroid disease, or we are deficiant in something... Maybe our bodys have too much of something? Either way, we need to find out.

Have any suffers had a FULL body scan or check up? I mean a vigorous check throughout our whole body, I'm sick of this condition being brushed under the carpet. It's causing me severe depression/isolation and I'm slowly losing to will to live each day which passes.

I had a full body scan done in Germany (MRI) but nothing was found. I went there primarily to see if there was some kind of endocrine tumor or a disorder in the spine. They didn't find anything conclusive. I have some ankylosing spondylitis like symptoms but that's an arbitrary diagnosis at best.

I completely agree with the sentiment though, I too have spend hours upon hours reading medical journals etc., even had email conversations with some of the scientists behind the studies, but at the end of the day you can form all kinds of ideas about what could be causing it but I don't see where I could go with them to make something happen about it. I've mailed the IHHS (sweathelp.org) among others about some of the stuff I found and they say 'thanks, yes that's very interesting, we'll take that under consideration'...And then we wait...

One can only try to live to the best of what's possible until something comes around. I refuse to let this put me into isolation (have a bunch of friends, still go out a lot, have a bit of a life) but I know (only too well) you can't not let it influence you. If I think of all the oppertunities both profesional and social lost through this I go insane, but one has to let that go to a point, ifs and buts don't count and that goes for any disability or affliction.

Last edited:

lacerda

Well englishman
I think everybody has different causes for its hyperhidrosis. Have you seen that you are always sweating for no reason?
have you check thatr anxiety obviously triggers your sweating hands and feet and armptis?
In my case all the signs tell me that I have a problem with my sympatic pathways, an over activation, a chronic activation of distress, due to almost every little stimuli.
I havent check for thyroid. but that might be a good reason.

corranhorn

Here's the most fascinating thing to me.. I don't sweat a drop while I sleep. Why is that? I'd like to see if HH elimination during sleep is related to REM in any way. I had a class that dealt with sleep studies extensively, specifically the necessity of REM. Fascinating stuff.

corranhorn

To answer your question, I've been checked head to toe. Never had an MRI or a scan of any type. My thyroid and all other systems are in perfect order. I completely agree. It's bull**** that the best option of treatment for us is a very expensive surgery only done in a few places that has a 50% chance of worsening your condition. I think science should, once a year, get the world's leading experts together and study diseases intensely, at the chromosome level and try to cure them. Projects similar in scale to the human genome project. Money and time is spent on pharmaceutical drugs that only treat symptoms! Time to cure diseases.

sean_turner74

For me it seems to be triggered by social situations and social anxiety. If I'm all alone, not around people or not talking on the phone, I barely sweat. I'd be normal. Same when I'm sleeping. In winter my HH is about 80% gone.

But when I go outside in public, around people (especially talking to girls), that's when the sweating starts. And if I'm very stressed out I sweat more.

My HH isn't so bad as most people, but it's still obviously noticeable, especially in the summertime. It's a crippling illness and makes me want to stay home, away from social interactions.

I've been checked for thyroid problems and mine is fine.

HHDisturbed

Englishman,

My research shows that at least 1 out of 100 people have some form of hyperhidrosis. It seems to be BOTH physiological as well as psychological. In my case it seems to start from some trigger (spicy smells or taste, extreme stress or duress, high humidity) but once the sweat pours off my face and head in public for no reason then extreme embarrassment sets in making the sweating worse. I am guessing that this is typical of most HH sufferers.

I too wish that the medical community had more answers as to why. According to one doctor I spoke to, HH is not considered immediately detrimental to ones health (like cancer or HIV) so less money and resources are utilized. Of course those who don't suffer from HH have a hard time understanding what we go through and how it affects our daily lives.

And yeah Sean, had my thyroid checked too...no probems there.