Water or Oil in 10 years?

pete2682

So the year is 2022: Oil shortages will obviously continue to be an issue, as well as water shortages. So which one of these natural resources attracts more media coverage, and which one has a greater affect on society as a whole?.....particularly in the U.S.

And water and oil don't mix.....so pick one or the other. haha....had to put my stupid pun in there. Sorry for that.

I think water (or lack of) will get more attention

Last edited:

spaceboy135

You know, this is a profound question... I love this kind of food for thought! Thanks for asking.

First off....

Uh oh, here comes my idealist personality. Ready? Here goes nothing:

If there were no cars, there'd be (pros, then cons) less depression. More time in the sun. More exercise. Fitter people. That is, assuming we didn't revert to horses. Even then, the wind blows in your hair... You can say howdy to fellow riders instead of being encapsulated within a glass bubble with a stereo blaring inside. We'd have less people whining like kindergarteners about people almost accidentally bumping into them. Slower-paced, more patient society. We'd have better hearing, going back to that stereo blasting comment. We'd be exposed to weather more often, feel the icy chill of winter against our faces, and the glaring heat of summer-- and why that's good, I don't know, but I just know it'd give us more character. More definition to our spiritual and emotional muscles.

Then, for the cons? Longer time getting to the hospitals and grocery stores. More hours between us and our loved ones. Yeah, sometimes we really need cars-- when I had a ball of earwax growing so large it was about to rip my ear drum apart, we got to zoom down to the ER and get it blasted out. (I was 16, and it had me screaming and crying like a 5 year old child.) So cars are good... Not to mention, cars are incredibly interesting if you learn about them. Really fun machines to study.

But shoot, look how much we're spending on gas every year. For me: 20 miles driven a day, 7 days a week, so that's 140 miles a week. Takes about 2 and a half weeks to burn all the gas in my car. So I fill up once every 2.5 weeks; 52/2.5 is about 21. 21 x's the amount I spend filling up each time is about $34 x's 21... is $710 a year, which actually for me winds up being about $1,000 with all the times I go across the state to see my family, and the non-school driving I do when doing stuff with friends. $1,000... Provided I didn't need a vehicle for any kind of immediate emergency, I spent $1,000 on being impatient, unfit/unhealthy, and comfortable.

I think oil has a bigger impact on our society, but not for the better. No, I'm both right and wrong, because American industrialization desperately needed oil for the energy to reach the heights it's attained. But I'm personally fine being, except for hospital technology and my hearing aids and the abundance of food (but industry's preservatives don't help any), on the level of "less fortunate" countries, who I believe may be better off than Americans in terms of mental well-being.

Sometimes I think that, with all our racially embittering exploitation of others, with all our sluggardizing technological achievements, and with our predominantly and unjustifiably hierarchical history virulently weaving its way into our present society's bloodstream, we white people make a pretty good mess.

I still have a lot to say, but I'm going to stop right there. Because I'll go all night long.

Luke1993

Assuming there was a shortage of both I think it would be water that gets more coverage, humans can't survive without it, whereas they could without oil.

Ignace

Oil is replace-able with water for example cars, and maybe they're going to develop heating systems on water too, who knows. I think the biggest problem is gonna be water, water is like .. in everything. This is also what makes me angry. Millions of ppl don't have drinkable water, and here there are such ignorant c*nts who spill it all .. Also flushing the toilet and washing the car etc etc happens with drinkwater, while only a small % of water is fit to drink. If we don't be careful with that as people, we and our kids will have big trouble later ...

philly2bits

Will there even be a water shortage at all. Unlike oil, water can't be used up. It goes from liquid to gas to solid. It never goes away like oil. If there is a drought in one area does it not mean excess water in another? I await the answer from those who spend much more time on wikipedia than I.

pete2682

Will there even be a water shortage at all. Unlike oil, water can't be used up. It goes from liquid to gas to solid. It never goes away like oil. If there is a drought in one area does it not mean excess water in another? I await the answer from those who spend much more time on wikipedia than I.

Well that's exactly right. But there are definitely other factors......location, population increases, water mis-management, etc.
Here's an article I found if you're interested at all.

The Water Shortage Crisis in America & the World: A Quick Overview of A Most Dangerous Crisis

Haha. And when I was searching for an article on here, i found something else that's kind of interesting concerning the Bush family and water:

CP News Wire: Bush's Paraguay Land Grab

Seems a bit fishy to me, never liked or trusted the Bush's. Could be reading too much into it though, who knows.

But anyways, thanks for all the posts on this guys.
tryagain: I didn't care for the movie 2012 very much.....that would suck if it was true though. Ignace: couldn't agree more, people (especially in the U.S.) definitely take water for granted. Spaceboy: Gas prices are completely ridiculous, i heard $5 a gallon in the next couple of years :mad: And Luke: very true