Warning for anyone looking for online work

cowboyup

I thought I would try getting a few side jobs to get a little extra money generated...nothing special, just admin work, computer work, coding...that sort of thing. Anyhow, I want to put it out there that I've had trouble with a couple websites called FREELANCER.com and THUMBTACK.com

Each time, I've called and spoke with people about the scams. Here's the short story: You place a bid, someone contacts you, they want to 'interview' you thru an instant message site, then they say they will send you loads of computer equipment at THEIR expense and send you a big check - for a few thousand dollars to 'purchase software'

Luckily, I have the advantage of my brother being a cop so I thought I'd run it through him and sure enough he told me how the scam works. I thought, gee, they're going to allegedly pay me 30$ for data entry...hmmm..sounds too good to be true and sure enough it is.

So, if you ever frequent these sites, and probably others out there, just keep your eyes peeled....there are legitimate people who will hire you, but be careful.

cowboyup

yes, in this case because the jobs only (at least my experience) last a week to a month, at most. I was hoping I could find something long term, which would be great, but I haven't. Most jobs I've had consist of data entry, mail merges, and coding which was basic 'entry level' stuff that didn't take too long for me to complete.

awkwardamanda

45%20dollars%20-%20resized_zpsac2dqyif.png

Wow. :kickingmyself:

rumblejaded

If you're looking to do side jobs, Upwork is a good place to go. The pay is small if you're just starting and don't have a good rep yet and lots of feedback but it'll get bigger as time goes on. I've had a lot of side jobs there.
They used to be elance-odesk before.