Very confused, help?

onefourthree

I know that I can only really be diagnosed by a professional, but I'd really like your guys opinions on this. I'm really having a hard time figuring out whether I actually have social anxiety or not. I'm really nervous to go to a doctor, which is why I haven't been officially diagnosed or anything. I hear that having panic attacks is a big part of having social anxiety, but thing is, I don't believe I've EVER had a panic attack. I left public school in 7th grade and have taken online classes since, mainly because I was scared I'd embarrass myself in front of people at school. I get very nervous to talk on the phone because I always think I won't know what to say and stuff like that. I don't call people for fear of bothering them. When I do talk on the phone, like when it's ringing, my heart beats really really fast and I get nauseous, but then when I start talking I calm down and feel fine. I rarely leave my house, there was one point in time that I didn't really go out in public for an entire year. I did, however, go to my dad's house every Saturday. I don't have a license because I'm scared to go take the test. I have to take tests every year for school that are a requirement to graduate, and I've actually avoided them before because I was nervous to go. I didn't go last year or the year before. I'm 18 and seriously not even close to being done with high school. I've got about a year and a half to go, I just need to go and take those tests, but I just get so nervous. The thing is, I don't know if this is social anxiety or not. I DO get nervous, but not to the point of having an anxiety attack. Like if somebody forced me to go, I probably would just do it and be okay. I feel like I just give up because I'm nervous. But it's extreme nervousness. Also, I'm mainly nervous around teenagers/people my age, which is a little weird. I heard many people are anxious around authority figures. I seem to be the opposite. I do just feel really uncomfortable around people in general, though. Another thing is I've never had a job before. I'm too scared to go around asking for applications, because I think I'll look dumb. Whenever friends want to go somewhere, I always say I can't or make up an excuse from being nervous. Also, during most situations I always end up thinking of all the things that could go wrong, like literally every little negative thing. I guess I'm just having a hard time distinguishing between social anxiety and just shyness. And whether I COULD actually do these things or I just don't because I give up too easily. Agh. I'm sorry if this post is all over the place, I'm just really confused and I'm trying to list my symptoms. I hope someone can help! I'd really like opinions.

Mickery

Panic attacks are not a requirement. Regardless of whether the problem primarily is socially-based, that is clearly a serious anxiety disorder of some kind.

Waybuloo

No way are you shy, what you have is at the least social anxiety and avoidant personality disorder. Being shy won't stop you living your life. You could also have something else, and not being able to face the world is just a symptom. Anyhow this is just my opinion. The best way forward is to get referred to a psychiatrist through a doctor, for diagnosis and treatment.

peanutsmum

I am socially agoraphobic, clinically diagnosed.. I also have to look as perfect as possible to get around people. My fear is not of getting out of the house and driving a car or going places.. My fear is of being around people even though I like people.

I don't have advice how to overcome other than keep trying and to reach out anyway that you can..

I'm so bad socially I can't even make a friend online... Thank God I have a wonderful husband and a great son. Or I would be totally alone. I also have a wonderful clinical therapist that keeps me going and I gain ground, ever so slowly but nonetheless I do grow.

Good luck to you

peanutsmum

anti h is here to be your online friend!!

antihisameine..thank you for for the friend request. I tried to send you a message but saw you were banned. Here is one of my email adr. msg me there if you like...I would like to hear from you.

email now deleted

Last edited:

Insanewoman389

I know that I can only really be diagnosed by a professional, but I'd really like your guys opinions on this. I'm really having a hard time figuring out whether I actually have social anxiety or not. I'm really nervous to go to a doctor, which is why I haven't been officially diagnosed or anything. I hear that having panic attacks is a big part of having social anxiety, but thing is, I don't believe I've EVER had a panic attack. I left public school in 7th grade and have taken online classes since, mainly because I was scared I'd embarrass myself in front of people at school. I get very nervous to talk on the phone because I always think I won't know what to say and stuff like that. I don't call people for fear of bothering them. When I do talk on the phone, like when it's ringing, my heart beats really really fast and I get nauseous, but then when I start talking I calm down and feel fine. I rarely leave my house, there was one point in time that I didn't really go out in public for an entire year. I did, however, go to my dad's house every Saturday. I don't have a license because I'm scared to go take the test. I have to take tests every year for school that are a requirement to graduate, and I've actually avoided them before because I was nervous to go. I didn't go last year or the year before. I'm 18 and seriously not even close to being done with high school. I've got about a year and a half to go, I just need to go and take those tests, but I just get so nervous. The thing is, I don't know if this is social anxiety or not. I DO get nervous, but not to the point of having an anxiety attack. Like if somebody forced me to go, I probably would just do it and be okay. I feel like I just give up because I'm nervous. But it's extreme nervousness. Also, I'm mainly nervous around teenagers/people my age, which is a little weird. I heard many people are anxious around authority figures. I seem to be the opposite. I do just feel really uncomfortable around people in general, though. Another thing is I've never had a job before. I'm too scared to go around asking for applications, because I think I'll look dumb. Whenever friends want to go somewhere, I always say I can't or make up an excuse from being nervous. Also, during most situations I always end up thinking of all the things that could go wrong, like literally every little negative thing. I guess I'm just having a hard time distinguishing between social anxiety and just shyness. And whether I COULD actually do these things or I just don't because I give up too easily. Agh. I'm sorry if this post is all over the place, I'm just really confused and I'm trying to list my symptoms. I hope someone can help! I'd really like opinions.

Wow this is freaky! I'm exactly the same way down to a "T!", I feel like you were describing me. I think if its interrupting your life and making it hard to live it would be best to get it checked out sooner rather than later I certainly wish I had cause I think if I had I would be a lot better and further on in my life.

Predacon

It sounds like Social Phobia to me, the panic attack thing isn't a big factor. I've never had a panic attack, but that doesn't make me anyless nervous.

onefourthree

Thank you for the responses everyone, I really appreciate them. I think it's about time that I get properly diagnosed, so I will start by going to a doctor. I'm just scared that I don't really have any disorder or something, and I'll just be going for nothing. It's like I convince myself that I'm fine, but your responses have really helped me see that I'm not and I know that there is something not right, with all the symptoms I have. Now it's just time to gather up the courage to actually go...

Insanewoman389

Thank you for the responses everyone, I really appreciate them. I think it's about time that I get properly diagnosed, so I will start by going to a doctor. I'm just scared that I don't really have any disorder or something, and I'll just be going for nothing. It's like I convince myself that I'm fine, but your responses have really helped me see that I'm not and I know that there is something not right, with all the symptoms I have. Now it's just time to gather up the courage to actually go...

I'm glad you're thinking about going cause I think it's a good idea, best to do something about it sooner rather than later. I know how you feel about going to the doctor about this kind of thing I'm also worried they'd say I'm fine that and its so embarrassing but I'm sure it'll be fine, good luck! :D