Venting about a bad night

MsBuzzkillington

Last night I had a really horrible night. Tried getting to sleep after awhile, but I only got about three hours. I guess that's kind of good considering most people who can't sleep get less? I don't know So, I just need to vent out my feelings. I was going to do it in the "how are you feeling" thread, to prevent cluttering things up with a new thread, but I think it's a bit too long. So anyway... here comes the wall of textesess.

Last night was pretty bad. There is this group of people I have been hanging out with and playing board games with for a couple months now. It's really been just me going over there to play board games and leaving, not much else. I have been trying to talk to others in the group but it's been a really slow and difficult process. In particular there were two really cute and funny guys that I had developed mini crushes on. I had tried getting their facebooks and then messaging them and then trying to get their numbers and finally after a few weeks of work and waiting one of them finally text messaged me back. We will call him Mike. I actually had given my number to one of them awhile ago but he never text messaged me but I finally got (with his permission of course) his number and tried texting him a bit, we will call him Tank.

During one of our hang outs it was brought up that Tank has SA. He also had the same kind of "doesn't like to be touched" thing that I do, so I kind of felt a pretty close connection in at least he was someone I could relate to.

Mike is suuuuper cute, suuuuuper funny, and suuuuuper nice. Just a really fantastic person. So sweet. bleh. I was so exited when he text messaged me Wednesday night and we text messaged and made plans to hang out on Thursday (last night). It was mostly a plan to get the group together and play board games. I figured it would be the usual couple people and it would be pretty fun. But I was definitely wrong.

They brought in a new girl, someone from their past that they haven't seen in awhile but just so happened to have a free night last night. As soon as I saw her I was defeated, I wanted to go home. I am really awful at meeting new people and when it's unexpected it's way worse. But I figured it would be okay because she seemed pretty nice. Well, straight off the bat her and Mike started flirting and it was intense flirting. It wasn't really that bad until we got into the car to drive to a gamers spot place where we could hang out and play the board game. In the car, it was awful. Lots and lots and lots and lots of giggling and flirting, lots.... and lots. I wanted to leave, I wanted to go... but I was trapped.

One of those feelings of wanting to get out of there but not wanting to ruin anyone's fun.

The first gaming place we went to was actually technically closed but they said that we could stick around and play our games until they finished up. I thought it was really nice of them and it was basically just the owners and their friends playing a game. Then we come in and our group was SOOOOO loud. Mike and the girl were flirting SO loudly. We played one round of hit the deck which is basically like uno and slapjack. I really don't like the slapping part of the game but I like uno. We played one round of that and someone else was going to meet us at another place. Someone in the group said "we'll play one more round and then go" and I was like NO! please! let's go now. I couldn't handle being in that super loud environment in a little tiny quiet place, at all. I felt like we were intruding. I don't know if the other people really cared out not, but it still made me feel like I was going to burst.

We actually ended up driving down to close by where I live. They said "Let's go to Gamers Inn" and I was like wait... what? isn't that in Mesa? But by then it was already too late. We were about... 30 minutes or so away from the place/ where my car was so it was quite a drive for me to get up there.

I seriously considered asking them to drop me off at home before we went to the Gamer's Inn and I would just figure out what to do with my car another day. But, I really didn't want things to be weird and I didn't want them to ask question and I didn't want them to try and convince me to stay. Not saying anyone actually wanted me there, just saying normally people are like "aww nooo!" just out of sympathy.

So I kept quiet and we went off to the place and it was just... lots and lots of flirting. Then another who was also in the car with me was like "wow they're flirting a lot, it's pretty crazy" blah blah blah they're flirting a lot." "blah blah another joke about them flirting" It didn't help.

When we got there I basically just shrunk as close to the corner as possible. I was looking forward to seeing Tank to come because I figured he would be someone I could relate to and could "save me" from these people. Sometimes it's just nice to have someone there who understands. Everyone was being quite loud so it was all kind of overwhelming. But when he got there, guess what? Yeah he started flirting with the new girl too. I guess it was some girl they hung out with a long time ago, maybe or a year ago or something so it had been awhile since anyone had seen her. Lots of flirting, lots of laughing, lots of playful touching.

Besides feeling intense jealousy that these two guys I was interested were falling over this new girl, I was also jealous that this new girl was so comfortable with being out going and flirty. It made me feel horrible about myself. Lots and lots of negative thoughts started going through my head. Like, this girl is "normal" she is able to make friends easily and I can't. I can't be that friendly and outgoing. People want people like her around and not people like me. It took me months to try and get comfortable enough with these people to make jokes and talk. She was able to do it in a couple of hours. She got both guys phone numbers too. They were like eager to trade numbers with her.

I am guessing that her and Mike are going to start dating. I mean, I can be happy for people who find someone they connect with but at the same time, I really kind of wanted that to be me.

I don't know. Feeling horrible. I don't know what to do. I shouldn't be around them. I was feeling like I was just a waste of space. That I didn't really deserve to be there, that people there don't actually want me around. I am the boring one, I am the one who comes and no on cares about notices, the one that no one wants to hang out with again. The one that no one peruses to get their phone number. People couldn't care less about me. I fail, fail, fail, at socializing. Sometimes I think I am making progress and I think I am doing a really good job and then I run into someone like her who manages to make friends in minutes and have people say "wow hehehe she's so fun!" and it reminds me that I have so far to go and I am so messed up.

I wish I could be like her, I wish I could be that care free.

But nope, just the quiet girl in the corner who doesn't talk and no one sees.

The dumb thoughts that creep in my head after a night like this too are so extreme. Like, Mike and her are going to start dating and date for year. They are going to fall in love and I am not going to talk to him again ever. Him and her are going to text 3000 times a day and hit it off so great and I am going to be the loser again. She is also going to text Tank a lot and they are all three going to become fantastic friends. I see last night as the night that everything changed, that she became the one they wanted around and people finally realized what a loser I am. People finally realized how they don't actually need to invite me around because now they have someone like her.

I mean, in reality it doesn't even matter if they start texting a lot. If they do, so what? If they hit it off that great, so what? Why should I let it bother me? But it does and it makes me feel awful and it just replays over and over and over again in my head.

Near the end of the night before the drive back, I had enough. I thought about the long drive up and the long drive back I was going to have to take home. So I asked them to drop me off at home. The other guy who's house my car was parked at said he wouldn't mind me leaving my car there and he wouldn't mind picking me up of I couldn't get a ride up there. So that was really nice and understanding of him. I am glad he was in there to help me out in that part, although I wish I would have said it a lot sooner. I thought about walking home because it was only about 2.5 miles away or so.

They hung out about 3 more hours after I left. Part of me is sad I missed out on such a fun night, said I didn't take advantage of the time I had there and the other part of me is grateful that I finally got out of there.

I feel like a big black hole is in my heart right now.

There was always a moment last night where I was thinking that I could turn things around. That I could stop wallowing in the sadness, it wasn't the end of the world, this didn't mean I couldn't still have fun... and I could just push myself and be happy and be involved. But doing that, is so scary. It's so scary to let go of the sadness and I don't really know why, it's not logical to stay all mopey and quiet.

Hastings & Main

Oh, yeah! I've been there, too.
Not exactly the same, of course, but generally - just different situations, types & amounts of people, but yeah. You get mentally prepared for the night, even taking in some outside possibilities that could arise, then something unexpected in the form of an old acquaintance/friend happens, everyone's attention shifts, and you're out of the loop, thinking "how can I get involved before it's too late?", and feeling like you're shuttered out, even though none of it's intentional.
A person you're with, or someone there who you think will be your sort of 'shield', kind of unexpectedly shows they can be socially aggressive, at least a little bit, and next you feel both spotlit and left out at the same time.

It feels like hell afterwards, but it's not too clear why? Maybe ruminating how different or fun it would have been if you could've found that magic key to fit into some of what was going on, or be part of the conversation, or if the extra person never showed up, would it have changed if you stayed longer...
A whole pile of what if's come out of things like this.

I had a string of three similar things happen to me over a couple of months years back, and I just had to laugh, thinking I was starring in some movie about bad luck without knowing it!

They don't know how you feel. You never know when a guy has liked you and you had no clue but to be yourself.
I think that's what happened there. I'm sorry you felt out of place, and jealous of the other girl, but at least it was just a bad night that has come to pass.
There's plenty of guys in the ocean (wait, something like that).

At least you have good people to hang out with. (Unless they try to steal you away from the game again tomorrow night!)

I'm just glad this guys real name isn't Tank. Only drug dealers or overbuff douchebag's are named Tank. Lol I'm wondering why you chose that.

MsBuzzkillington

That was really awesome advice, Token, thanks. You're right... I really can't control anything and I think that's what I have the most trouble with sometimes. That everything in life is ultimately out of my control. Kind of like they were all "slipping through my fingers" because that has happened so many times before. One thing triggers an event and then everything comes crashing down and there's nothing I can do to stop it or control it.

The only things I can really control are my own actions I guess. I can control whether or not I have a good or bad night depending on my attitude.

I think I will take your advice into consideration, I have also been thinking about similar things like that myself and try to put it in action. Even just today I sent a text message to one of the guys and in my head I said "even if they do like her a lot and have a strong connection with the other girl, it doesn't mean we can't still talk and be friends."

Hopefully anyway... I have lots many many many friends due to a new girl coming in and taking them away.

MsBuzzkillington

They don't know how you feel. You never know when a guy has liked you and you had no clue but to be yourself.
I think that's what happened there. I'm sorry you felt out of place, and jealous of the other girl, but at least it was just a bad night that has come to pass.
There's plenty of guys in the ocean (wait, something like that).

At least you have good people to hang out with. (Unless they try to steal you away from the game again tomorrow night!)

I'm just glad this guys real name isn't Tank. Only drug dealers or overbuff douchebag's are named Tank. Lol I'm wondering why you chose that.

I was trying to think of a name of someone that I didn't know. I couldn't think of anything that wasn't related to someone I talk to and Tank was the first thing that came into my head.

coyote

my worst heartbreaks in life have all come about due to my own unmet expectations

lately, i've been trying not to spend too much energy on trying to determine exactly how i espect events to unfold or on making assumptions about how people in my life should behave

mostly in an effort to protect myself from disappointment

but I've found that it actually makes things more fun to just see what surprises life has to offer rather than worry about whether it's going to turn out the way i want it to

remember being a kid on Christmas morning - the most exciting presents to open are the ones you haven't even seen before and haven't had a chance to rattle and shake and peel the tape off to figure out what's inside - or worse, thinking you're going to get some really cool toy you asked for and getting socks instead

socks are a cool gift if you're not expecting them - or expecting something else instead

especially if they're argyle

my worst heartbreaks in life have all come about due to my own unmet expectations

Precisely.
Having high expectations can make you blind to what's really going on around you. It will close you off, and can make a person jaded sometimes.
You have to let things just happen. See the good about your situation, and let people be people.
Just remember everyone feels heartache, you're never the only one.

I hope you feel better today Buzz. Tomorrow is always a new day :)