Upset about my mom

Insanewoman389

So me and my sister went to see The Hobbit right? And while we're waiting for the movie we start talking and she brings up how I feel about getting a job and if I think I can handle it, cause apparently her and my mom got into a discussion about it. And apparently my mom doesn't think I can function in the real world and should just go on social security and now I just feel like crap and really hurt that she would think that, and I was wondering if I should approach her about it or just leave it be cause her opinion means a lot to me but I don't wanna cause any problems between us you know? I guess I just need to talk about it....

EDIT: I did end up talking to my mom cause it was just bugging me too much and while I didn't tell her my sister said that she said I couldn't function in the real world and should go on social security, I did tell her me and my therapist had been talking about jobs and I asked her whether she thought I could handle a job and while she didn't seem too confident about it she said she thought I'd do fine especially if its what I want. I know she'll always be there to help me I just wish she had more confidence in me *shrugs*

Last edited:

dottie

So me and my sister went to see The Hobbit right? And while we're waiting for the movie we start talking and she brings up how I feel about getting a job and if I think I can handle it, cause apparently her and my mom got into a discussion about it. And apparently my mom doesn't think I can function in the real world and should just go on social security and now I just feel like crap and really hurt that she would think that, and I was wondering if I should approach her about it or just leave it be cause her opinion means a lot to me but I don't wanna cause any problems between us you know? I guess I just need to talk about it....

why approach her about it? prove her wrong.

Buda

let your heart talk...it always end better honesty conversations, specially if it's your mum! she just can help you if she gets to know what's the best for you...maybe she just wanted to make you feel more secure with that option, not for all life but for the moment as it's a help you have the right to use!

ImNotMyIllness

That really sucks! Your a member of this forum so obviously you're confronting your issues and trying to get better. That is very commendable. I don't know what your symptoms are but try to find a job that you like and has the least negative impact on your mental health......and in the meantime, continue to try to improve yourself. That's all you can do. :)

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Welp... That's certainly the best moment to talk about that, instead of enjoying the movie, the time together. Good job, mom.

Insanewoman389

Welp... That's certainly the best moment to talk about that, instead of enjoying the movie, the time together. Good job, mom.

haha yea didn't really help me be excited for the movie XD Just making sure but it was my sister that told me about my mom not thinking I could function in the real world.

Insanewoman389

That really sucks! Your a member of this forum so obviously you're confronting your issues and trying to get better. That is very commendable. I don't know what your symptoms are but try to find a job that you like and has the least negative impact on your mental health......and in the meantime, continue to try to improve yourself. That's all you can do. :)

Aww thank-you!! That makes me feel pretty good about myself :D Yea that's what me and my therapist have been talking about, the best jobs that would accommodate my SA. Thanks for the kind words :]

Insanewoman389

let your heart talk...it always end better honesty conversations, specially if it's your mum! she just can help you if she gets to know what's the best for you...maybe she just wanted to make you feel more secure with that option, not for all life but for the moment as it's a help you have the right to use!

I told her that I was thinking about jobs because me and my therapist had been discussing it (my sister didn't want me to say I heard it from my sister) Mmm yea that does make sense but my mom tends to give off the sense she'd rather have me and my sister just live at home for the rest of our lives, I know she cares though.