UK

TLB

Hi guys, I suffer from full body hyperhidrosis, but I'm most concerned about facial HH, how can I get a referral to the dermatologist (via NHS)? I feel like I've run out of options with my GP as they don't seem to know much on the condition. I'd like to see a dermatologist because I've just finished university and I'll be applying to jobs soon, I have no idea how I will cope in an interview or even with a job when my face is constantly sweating! This HH, as you know, impacts both your social and professional life drastically; I think we deserve to live like normal people.

Thanks.

Lilly789

HH is a nervous system issue (neurology), NOT a skin issue (dermatology).

Dermatologists are trained on HH via education programs and readings/seminars, not in their medical training. Dermatologists will usually give out things like anti-perspirates (deodorants), creams, etc, which do not assist the nervous system to slow down (HH is caused by an over sympathetic nervous system). They can give botox (in most countries), but that's about where their expertise stops - they know less about the system that causes HH (nervous system). Dermatologists are more for people who just sweat a lot rather than actual HH (they are NOT the same thing).

So, if you have HH really badly and go to a dermatologist, they will offer the above stuff that may or may not work, you pay for all that, then if it doesnt work, they will eventually refer you to a neurologist anyway, and youll pay for it all again. Meanwhile, months possibly years will pass.

If you go to a neurologist in the first place, they are medically trained in HH as it is directly in their area of expertise, AND they can give you all of the above (deodorants, creams, botox) PLUS a heck of a lot of other options, such as CTS and medications etc. They will understand the source better than a dermatologist.

Sorry if you already knew all that I just felt a need to explain it lol

If it was me, Id probably go to a neurologist because I hate ****ing around, but chat to your doctor about it and do whatever youre comfortable with.

In the UK you MUST see your GP to get a referral to a speci*list on the NHS (I get around and have had speci*list treatment in the UK before, if anyone is confused).
Its perfectly ok and normal to ASK your GP to refer you, tell him it would need to be via the NHS when you do. Ive never come across a GP who has any issue with refering people at all - if a treatment isn't working, they are usually glad to refer you on to someone else, so don't be worried about asking.

Last edited:

Lilly789

ohh btw it may help having a look around in your area for spe******ts that have experience in HH, and mention the name to your GP, as your GP may not know specifically unless he has had to refer previous patients (and itll save time, and you can be sure he's referring you to someone youre comfortable with that has experience in HH specifically).

TLB

Trust me, I know the difference between a neurologist and dermatologist, and I'm fully aware what HH is and that it is a neurological disorder. But thanks anyway... haha.

Have you tried any particular management strategies that have helped?

TLB

ohh btw it may help having a look around in your area for spe******ts that have experience in HH, and mention the name to your GP, as your GP may not know specifically unless he has had to refer previous patients (and itll save time, and you can be sure he's referring you to someone youre comfortable with that has experience in HH specifically).

That's a good point, cheers. I think the closest HH spe******t is Southampton off the top of my head, but I'll double-check

uksam

I didn't go to my GP in anticipation of them not knowing about it/not willing to prescribe something/long waiting times etc. and got some avert from canada. It works well, might be worth a try. Maybe if it works for you and is too expensive see if your GP will write a prescription.

(I also suffer from kind of full body, except hands, HH with the head/face being the worst, and avert worked for me)

But obviously the right course of action is go through the proper channels first.

TLB

I didn't go to my GP in anticipation of them not knowing about it/not willing to prescribe something/long waiting times etc. and got some avert from canada. It works well, might be worth a try. Maybe if it works for you and is too expensive see if your GP will write a prescription.

(I also suffer from kind of full body, except hands, HH with the head/face being the worst, and avert worked for me)

But obviously the right course of action is go through the proper channels first.

Thanks :) the craniofacial HH is impossible to live with at times, isn't it?

johnk

hi.t think that you have refered in the past that you could combat your hh with drysol mild.Did it stop to work;

NickM

HH is a nervous system issue (neurology), NOT a skin issue (dermatology).

Dermatologists are trained on HH via education programs and readings/seminars, not in their medical training. Dermatologists will usually give out things like anti-perspirates (deodorants), creams, etc, which do not assist the nervous system to slow down (HH is caused by an over sympathetic nervous system). They can give botox (in most countries), but that's about where their expertise stops - they know less about the system that causes HH (nervous system). Dermatologists are more for people who just sweat a lot rather than actual HH (they are NOT the same thing).

So, if you have HH really badly and go to a dermatologist, they will offer the above stuff that may or may not work, you pay for all that, then if it doesnt work, they will eventually refer you to a neurologist anyway, and youll pay for it all again. Meanwhile, months possibly years will pass.

If you go to a neurologist in the first place, they are medically trained in HH as it is directly in their area of expertise, AND they can give you all of the above (deodorants, creams, botox) PLUS a heck of a lot of other options, such as CTS and medications etc. They will understand the source better than a dermatologist.

I agree with you that HH is a matter of the SNS, but to say a neurologist is trained in HH seems like a falsehood. They aren't going to be able to do anything for you that an educated derm can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLB

I agree with you that HH is a matter of the SNS, but to say a neurologist is trained in HH seems like a falsehood. They aren't going to be able to do anything for you that an educated derm can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, it's a multifactorial and multidisciplinary condition. But as you said, a dermatologist is most suited to the condition, in fact they receive their information (in the UK) from BAD (British Association of Dermatologists). So, thank you for agreeing with me.

I am also thinking of seeing a dermatologist as I have suffered from palmar and plantar HH for 7 years and am getting sick of having wet hands all the time! If you wanted to go on interviews soon, I heard that Witch Hazel Oil dries out skin temporarily. If you put it on your face using a cotton ball before your interview, it should stay dry for the length of the interview. Good luck on both the job search hand HH treatment! Let us know how everything goes.

Welsh89

Hi sorry to hear you have this condition. I am from the UK and visited my GP regarding my problem. I have sweating over my whole body. I was proscribed Propantheline by my GP after requesting a referral to a NHS dermatologist, however they refused to see me about this condition and sent back a letter with suggestions on it. If you go into your GP to request this drug they will do some research and I dont see why they cant give you it.

Its not an ideal drug however as you must take it on a empty stomach, and the side affects such as dry throat and mouth and not being able to pee very well are issues, but well worth it in my opinion.

In fact I just took an interview today and was dry as a bone, it made me feel so confident and it went amazing.

Hope this helps a little.

uksam

In fact I just took an interview today and was dry as a bone, it made me feel so confident and it went amazing.

I for one hate how people without these kinds of issues just have the interview to worry about, whereas before an interview (or an exam or similar situation) I am mostly stressing about sweating. And after, we tend to judge exams/interviews based on whether we sweated excessively or not.

TLB

Hi guys, I absolutely agree. For example, I worry about presentations due to the fact I may sweat in front of many people, not the fact that I may say something wrong or not be loud enough etc. like other common presentation worries.

Welsh99, I'm glad it worked for you! I have been given a referral to the dermatologist and my condition etc. has been sent to the dermatology team so they know exactly what I need. The GP I saw is a new one and he seemed very well equipped to deal with HH and felt sympathy for me. I noticed that his hands were very sweaty, so maybe he has HH -- therefore more willing to help me.

sayagain

Hi sorry to hear you have this condition. I am from the UK and visited my GP regarding my problem. I have sweating over my whole body. I was proscribed Propantheline by my GP after requesting a referral to a NHS dermatologist, however they refused to see me about this condition and sent back a letter with suggestions on it. If you go into your GP to request this drug they will do some research and I dont see why they cant give you it.

Its not an ideal drug however as you must take it on a empty stomach, and the side affects such as dry throat and mouth and not being able to pee very well are issues, but well worth it in my opinion.

Hope this helps a little.

A little tip for you for the dry mouth problem! Boots do a dry mouth spray which costs £2.55 for a 50ml bottle, when you have a dry mouth spray a few times and move it around your mouth - instant relief! Ok it only works for about 20 minutes but it's small enough to fit in your pocket so you can spray it when you're experiencing discomfort.

They also do a dry mouthwash (it's exactly the same as the dry mouth spray....... so just buy that and fill your smaller spray bottle up with it - it's cheaper!) and use it twice a day. It makes the side effect a little more bearable.

The pee solution I've not found anything yet, though the primary use of these tablets is for bedwetting so I guess that explains why it makes it hard to pee!