Ughh christmas parties..

My finance's friend is having her Christmas party this Sat, I soo don't want to go. The past couple of times I did actually end up having some fun after drinks and I was playing pool, which kept me occupied..but this year I really don't want to go and I don't feel social whatsoever, I think part of it has to do with the fact Im not in the Christmas spirit at all, its been a tough year, and Ive been broke..so Im not exactly in a holiday mood, I dont think I could fake it if I tried..plus the fact that Ive realized I have AvPD along with the social phobia..even me taking medication doesnt make going to parties easier
Then next week there's another party that his family is having...the word "party" to me might as well be a curse word.
I feel obligated to go to these things...and I dont want to let my fiance' or his family down if I don't show up. I basically have to drag myself and try to fake things as best as possible. Anyone else feel like they have to go to certain functions out of obligation and not wanting to hurt anyones feelings?

Yep, I've been there too. I don't have anyone to expect me to go to parties/functions anymore, but I used too. The only solace I had was that amazing sense of relief when the function was finally over. It takes a lot of energy out of you to pretend to look/be happy at those functions:(

Yup exactly...I feel like..okay I got through it. Half the time I feel like all Im living for is to get through...if I can just get through this or that..

If it were me I just wouldn't go. Social gatherings should never be forced onto someone. Its like asking an extremely social person to stay alone for a week - it would probably drive them nuts.

BlackKids

I soo don't want to go. The past couple of times I did actually end up having some fun after drinks

Ignore your brain and you'll be grand. Not only will you have fun, the sense of accomplishment is totally worth it. You'll get that regardless of what happens. Now dont drink too much :)

If it were me I just wouldn't go. Social gatherings should never be forced onto someone. Its like asking an extremely social person to stay alone for a week - it would probably drive them nuts.

Good comparison. I agree. I never really go, even if it disappoints someone.

dooby-duck

I had a Christmas party to go to on friday. The strange thing is that for the five hours I was there I had no anxiety what so ever. Usually when this happens I get anxious that I'm not anxious if you know what I mean. It's the same location every year, same people more or less so I don't really feel threatened. I only had to talk to about three people, no pressure or difficult questions. In fact I had a really good time for once.

Felicidad

If you don´t go, you will fed up the avoidant beast. I felt the same last Friday, when I had to have luch with my co-workers, you know one of this happy Christmas seeking lunch. I was so nervous that I begun to have a tic on my eye and lips trembling. I drunk and smoked a lot. But I finally was there and I´m sure, next lunch will be better.

Thanks for the advice guys..the one christmas party we didnt go to because we were snowed in, to be honest I was relieved.
There's the one with the family this sunday. If we only stay for an hour or 2 I guess I'll be fine..but after that Im spent and have to leave..I feel drained.