Two Week Challange [1]

Hottie

Hello everyone,

I will not let anxiety win. I am not going to be like this forever. I can and will one day be living the life i long for. I will not accept that this is the way i am. If this is learned behaviour, i will learn new behaviours to help me cope in over-comming anxiety. I will do my best that i can to help myself. I will never give up hope. I will never give up fighting for finding myself. Anxiety can be cured and one day i will be cured...
These hopes and dreams can fade sometimes, but no matter how much they fade there will always be some hope in there somewhere so never give up on it...

For these next two weeks i am going to do things that i hope will help my situation. Or at least help me to cope and manage the anxiety. Depending on your situation determines what you challange yourself to do. Also it is completely up to you how large or little you make your list of goals. The positive thing is making the goals and reaching them, so you determine where you are at. Dont make it to difficult for yourself either - baby steps to the final destination.
I hope this will make me empowered and I hope you join in too!

The things i am going to do these next two weeks are:
1] Doat least 15mins relaxation/meditation everyday. Starting i will do it once before i go to bed and the second week i will do it twice, before bed and during the day.
2] I will go to the gym on tuesdays and do a workout DVD on thursdays. (I already attend the gym on tuesdays with my friend)
3] I will not take the Xanax in my house. I will wait until im nearer my destination to take the tablet.

Best of luck all who take part....

Take Care :)

krs2snow

The things i am going to do these next two weeks are:
1] Doat least 15mins relaxation/meditation everyday. Starting i will do it once before i go to bed and the second week i will do it twice, before bed and during the day.
2] I will go to the gym on tuesdays and do a workout DVD on thursdays. (I already attend the gym on tuesdays with my friend)
3] I will not take the Xanax in my house. I will wait until im nearer my destination to take the tablet.

Best of luck all who take part....

Take Care :)

Count me in! My "Change for the better" will be something that's pretty easy. I am willing to committ to 20 mins each day for the next 2 weeks towards positive thinking and self-reflecting. I will take 10 mins in the morning to think about how I want to feel for the day, what I will do for that day to accomplish this feeling and how I hope to make others feel. I think my first meditation will be something like "I want to feel confident today. I want to accomplish this feeling by starting a conversation with someone who does not try making conversation w/me. I will celebrate my accomplishment by smiling. I will make the other person feel good by directing my smile at them." At night, I will reflect on my day for 10 mins and think about how I did w/my goals and what I could do better tomorrow. I can't wait to get started! I know I have a nice smile and am looking forward to sharing it w/others!

Posted this under ur treatment thread but saw ur newest thread and wanted to comment. I like ur idea. I like the postive aspect to it and I think its a great idea to work together to fight our problems. My only questions to u are did ur doctor prescribe xanax for u? Have u been taking it for a while? If u have, u should consult ur doctor b-4 u stop taking it. It's not always good to just stop taking a medication. Make sure ur choices are healthy choices, too!

Hottie

My only questions to u are did ur doctor prescribe xanax for u? Have u been taking it for a while? If u have, u should consult ur doctor b-4 u stop taking it. It's not always good to just stop taking a medication. Make sure ur choices are healthy choices, too!

Yes my doc perscribed xanax for me. I would usually take them twice a week at least. Im not taking the tablet in my house...i am going to take it (for example) on or after i have gotten public transport to where ever it is im going. So instead, i am not using it for small things.
Im sad to say that i have planned my days with them and it is not going to help me in the long run so i am going to try and make small adjustments to the occasions i take them. This is to make me rely on them slightly less. Thanks for your concern...

Good luck with your challanges... Hope all goes well. Post back and let us know has it helped you and you found doing the excercises.

:)

JamesSmith

I'm doing a 4-year challenge. I'm doing muscle relaxation for 30 minutes a day the first year, 1 hour a day the next year, 1.5 hours the next year, and then 2 hours a day the fourth year. I'll be doing this 5 days a week with two days off per 7 day week period. I started on Feb 1st of this year, and I think I'm finally going to follow through with this. It's been over month and I'm still doing the exercises every day I'm supposed to. The main thing you have to say on your exercise days is I will get this done today, no excuses. The minute you make an excuse for one day, you'll easily find another for the next day, then you'll stop doing the relaxation exercises completely. If you want to get these done you have to stick with it, even when you don't want to do them, which will be often. No pain, no gain.

eek

My challenge was to ask a girl I liked out. The gist of the story was that the girl was having a smoke with her room-mate and I asked them to my apartment as a group and the wrong girl said yes. I had an ok time with the other girl but there are a lot of embarrassing details I leave out. And I smoked a cigarette again so I could 'bump' into the girl :mad:... which didn't help the dizziness and sweating. It took all the energy I had.

Hottie

My challenge was to ask a girl I liked out. The gist of the story was that the girl was having a smoke with her room-mate and I asked them to my apartment as a group and the wrong girl said yes. I had an ok time with the other girl but there are a lot of embarrassing details I leave out. And I smoked a cigarette again so I could 'bump' into the girl :mad:... which didn't help the dizziness and sweating. It took all the energy I had.

You asked her out........thats huge...........fair play to ya!!

Luna1740

I will get off of all of my medications, get into a college, make friends and take voice lessons :)

krs2snow

My daily meditations are going pretty good so far. I woke up and thought about what I wanted to achieve for the day and tried to make that my focus. And I started a conversation w/one girl I work with who intimidates me. We didn't talk too much but I started the conversation and I felt really good about it!

Yes my doc perscribed xanax for me. I would usually take them twice a week at least. Im not taking the tablet in my house...i am going to take it (for example) on or after i have gotten public transport to where ever it is im going. So instead, i am not using it for small things.
Im sad to say that i have planned my days with them and it is not going to help me in the long run so i am going to try and make small adjustments to the occasions i take them. This is to make me rely on them slightly less. Thanks for your concern...

Good luck with your challanges... Hope all goes well. Post back and let us know has it helped you and you found doing the excercises.

Relying less on medication is a solid goal. However, it should be backed-up medically. If ur meds are necessary and are helping u, this is not a goal u really need to pursue. If they are for relieving temporary symptoms than maybe weening urself off of them is ideal. Whichever situation u are in, u should talk to ur doctor about ur desires to ween urself off and/or change the times u take the meds. Many meds should be taken on a schedule. I don't know if thats true for xanax but I do know that stopping taking xanax can produce withdrawl symptoms and thats a good reason to chat to ur doc 1st about the changes u want to make. Take care of urself first! And make sure u go after ur goals in the healthiest way possible!

I will get off of all of my medications, get into a college, make friends and take voice lessons :)
U're looking forward to the future and making changes and thats wonderful! My only thoughts are that ur goals are not very specific. How will u accomplish these goals? What steps will u take? I think the idea behind this thread is to set forth some very specific goals and explain what steps we will take to achieve those goals so that we can actually work to achieve them. Like, if I say "My goal is to no longer be afriad of pple". Thats a very nice goal. But.. how will I get there? It would be better if I said something like "I want to no longer be afraid of pple so my goal is to talk to at least 3 pple I don't know each week for the next two weeks". Specific. For example, if ur first goal is to get off all of ur medications, u should start by talking to the doctors that prescribed the meds and tell them u want to ween urself off. Ur first goal could be something like "I will make an appt w/my doctor to talk about getting off medication A", for example. Getting into college actually starts by making good grades in highschool. If ur past highschool, then u could start to accomplish this goal by visiting colleges and filling out applications. Maybe ur goal for getting into college should be "I will visit two local colleges in the next 2 weeks and fill out at least one, if not two, applications". Or, maybe it could be to look up 3 colleges online and research what they have to offer, research what degrees ud be interested in. It's up to u but be specific. Ur goals are great, just define them a little more and break them down into simple steps.

Hottie

My challanges i have been keeping up with so far !!

On tuesdsay i had to collect my money from the post office and go for my first meeting with my addiction counsellor. I knew i was going to take the xanax but i waited until i was nearer my destination (usually it would have been taken at home).
I stopped in the post office. Here i would usually be extremely anxious and aware of everyone in there. While your one was getting my money i distracted myself. I looked through my purse and looked at my phone. These littles distractions made my attention divert away from the people in the room and the waiting i had to do. i came out really happy with the situation...where as usually i would have been down because of it.
Also i stoped in the shop, and because i was in and out so fast i was okay.
I ended up taking the xanax on the luas (public transport) when on my way to the addiction counsellor, which would have been about 15mins later than normal.
I proud because for the post office i would have defo thought i needed it.

Today i had to go volunteering. Usually before i leave my house i would have taken to xanax, so i would feel comfortable in the shop and on the luas (public transport). Instead i done 10mins relaxation this morning before getting the luas.
I think it helped, because i didnt take the xanax tablet until i was waiting for the luas (public transport). I went to the shops before getting the luas and wasnt worried about my anxiety. Was slightly anxiouse but it didnt bother me.

I have kept up with relaxation either once or twice a day.

Relying less on medication is a solid goal. However, it should be backed-up medically. If ur meds are necessary and are helping u, this is not a goal u really need to pursue. If they are for relieving temporary symptoms than maybe weening urself off of them is ideal. Whichever situation u are in, u should talk to ur doctor about ur desires to ween urself off and/or change the times u take the meds. Many meds should be taken on a schedule. I don't know if thats true for xanax but I do know that stopping taking xanax can produce withdrawl symptoms and thats a good reason to chat to ur doc 1st about the changes u want to make. Take care of urself first! And make sure u go after ur goals in the healthiest way possible!

I am not physically addicted to xanax. Therfore i will not recieve any withdrawls. The reason why im doing this, is so im only taking it for the event i need to. Not relying on them for more things, for ex getting the public transport or going to the post office. I will be seeing a psychairst soon and i will discuss meds with him.
....i think that might be one of the next challanges !!!

Again thanks for the concern...

And good on ya for starting that conversation, i'd say it wasnt easy or comfortable...but you done it !!

Im afaid i have to agree with krs2snow. you should think more specific. They are goals that will take time to achieve. You should begin smaller...the examples krs2snow gave are a good starting point!!!
..........................Baby steps the the final destination!!!

Hottie

Hey, i got an e-mail saying you posted this but it is not there. I have copied and pasted it and also quoted it...
Hi. I really don't mean to keep bothering u about ur medication. But I posted that stopping taking Xanax can produce witdrawl symptoms. This is true for any person (not just addicts) thats been taking the medication for more than a short period of time. It depends on how many milligrams the person has been taking but any person who's been taking Xanax and stops Or starts weaning off of it can experience withdrawl symptoms. Things like insomnia, muscle aches, shakiness and irritablity. Hey, if ur seeing an addiction counselor anyways, why not talk to them about Xanax and how to go about relying on it less for social situations and outings? U could also look up possible side effects and monitor urself and how ur feeling as u work towards ur goal. Anyhow, it sounds like ur doing great so far! I will stop worrying :) ! Good for u on ur accomplishments! Keep going!
Okay, i havnt realised that you dont need to be physically dependant on them in order to experience withdrawls. Thanks for letting me know that, I have only went to the addiction counsellor for the first time tuesday. I only was filling her in on my situations and telling her what i want to achieve.

From this i am going to try rely on xanax/alcohol/substances less and i will do it under the watchfull eye of my addiction counsellor. I will have a look at possible side effects and my counsellor will also guide me on whats best...

Thanks again...Hope your well...