Tv tropes

lonelee1

i grew up watching a lot of tv. i love sitcoms. the cosby show, saved by the bell, family matters, THE GOLDEN GIRLS (my favorite). i have begun to realize....that this habit has really messed me up. i think part of the reason i get socially anxious is because i don't know..things...everybody..else..knows..because i watch(ed) a lot of tv.

at the same time, when i'm alone, and i'm not triggered by people, i think and know about a variety of topics. i'm an 'artist', 'writer', blah blah.

this is a complex idea, lol. i can't even get thoughts out tonight. but i do remember people telling me i'm brainwashed.

all problems solved in thirty minutes.

and that's my learned approach to life. life in a sitcom. a filtered perspective.

is it too late? i hope not.

ImNotMyIllness

Cosby Show, saved by the bell, family matters-three of my favorites! I could go on and on...LOL.

I know what you mean. I think religion and popular culture gave me the idea when I was a kid that I could go back in time and change my life.

But, knowing pop culture (TV shows etc) is pretty important when conversing with people. Almost everyone watches too much television. No doubt, we're all affected in some way or another.

Maybe I'm afflicted with the Hollywood concept of a happy ending. That, this will somehow happen to me, despite all of the clear signs it won't.

:question:

lonelee1

Cosby Show, saved by the bell, family matters-three of my favorites! I could go on and on...LOL.

I know what you mean. I think religion and popular culture gave me the idea when I was a kid that I could go back in time and change my life.

But, knowing pop culture (TV shows etc) is pretty important when conversing with people. Almost everyone watches too much television. No doubt, we're all affected in some way or another.

Maybe I'm afflicted with the Hollywood concept of a happy ending. That, this will somehow happen to me, despite all of the clear signs it won't.

:question:

totally, this is what i mean in some sense. we sort of live by this script based on media portrayals of real life. buuuuut, you should stick with that positive happy ending trope, anything's possible. just have to keep trying.

another thing i've noticed is my responses to life are like..so deeply ingrained in sitcoms. it's like im trapped in a box. it all runs on associations.

im not just talking about conversing about tv and pop culture. 1, i do suffer mind blank around people, even if i know the topic well. 2, if someone mentions something not parallel to like,,this script from something i've seen on tv (stored in my subconscious), i flip out and don't know how to respond. 3, those subconscious running themes, characters, scenes, filter my view of life:

-only pretty people are on tv
-only the pretty, smart people are popular on tv
-pretty smart people with SOCIAL SKILLS who say all the right things at the right time make it in life
-the losers in life are unattractive, hated, outcasted

i don't know if i watched so much because i was a socially anxious person and blocked out the world, or if watching so much made me this way.

i love tv. none of this made sense.

Last edited:

Klonoa

Remember ALF?

He's back! In pog form!

I grew watching LOTS of TV and movies, too!

Many great sitcoms such as Prince of Bel-Air, ALF, The Munsters, Adam's Family, american cartoons, japanese cartoons, all kinds of movies (I recall my first movie was on TV, it was Back to the Future Part III, and one name sticked to me: Clint Eastwood!)

But apparently, nobody here really remembers anything right after watching it, unless its current.

It feels awkward when my classmates dont remember Jean Claude Van Damme, or Schwartzenneger or FRIGGIN' STALLONE existed...

;___;

Remember ALF?

He's back! In pog form!

I grew watching LOTS of TV and movies, too!

Many great sitcoms such as Prince of Bel-Air, ALF, The Munsters, Adam's Family, american cartoons, japanese cartoons, all kinds of movies (I recall my first movie was on TV, it was Back to the Future Part III, and one name sticked to me: Clint Eastwood!)

But apparently, nobody here really remembers anything right after watching it, unless its current.

It feels awkward when my classmates dont remember Jean Claude Van Damme, or Schwartzenneger or FRIGGIN' STALLONE existed...

;___;

Alf rocks!

Klonoa

Funfact: The voice-actor who dubbed over ALF in Mexico, would later dub Piccolo in DBZ's mexican dub.

Both are aliens.

THE MORE YOU KNOW.

But yeah, ALF is amazing.

quilmes_alf_log_240x400.jpg

Last edited:
wow, the power of television. the way i see it the key to unraveling a problem is to get tangled in it. either you get frustrated by your lack of ability to fix the situation or end up laughing at how trivial the whole thing was to begin with. people tend to hold a magnifying glass up to everything instead of seeing the big picture. in the end our minds create a surplus of minute detail that wasnt even neccesary. sitcoms and television water life down for easy cranial passage, purely stimulative, and only vaugely similar to the real thing.

I always liked Three's Company, The Jeffersons, Sanford and Son, Charlie's Angels, Starsky and Hutch, all the older ones. But I dearly love Seinfeld.