Trying Avert

After jumping through some hoops with pharmacy.ca, I received my first order of Avert. It arrived remarkably quickly and it will allow me to try it for a day or so before my weekend work shift which has been a real problem as the summer humidity has risen. After trying many other things this almost seems like my last hope. I have suffered from excessive scalp and facial sweating since my teens but it has gotten much worse lately to the point where I avoid nearly all social functions but it is causing me much embarrassment at work which I can't avoid.

HHDisturbed

Ricky, I hope you don't have your hopes set too high on the Advert. I have found that Advert alone it has not been highly effective for my face and head sweating. However, combining the Advert with the Secure Glyco Wipes (applied to face and neck after morning shower) has been highly effective for most situations. Although I am finding that no matter how much glycopyrrolate I use (pills or wipes) I still sweat like rain when I am doing physical labor in the high heat and humidity.

I wish you the best results in your efforts with Advert. You will likely need to experiment with dosages and times to get the best results for your situation. Also be sure to always take them on an empty stomach for maximum effectiveness. Good luck and keep us informed on how it goes.

Thanks for the advice HHdisturbed but I unfortunately am indeed setting my hopes too high on the Avert. I simply don't know what I will do at this point if it does not work. No other combination of things have helped. I appreciate the sense of humor that you exhibit in the forum concerning your HH but at this point I have lost all my coping skills. Hopefully it will work well enough to give me a little more control over my life.

My first day I took 2mg of Avert on an empty stomach. It took effect for sure because I could feel my mouth gradually drying out. Later we went to a small town play and the seating was terribly uncomfortable which would normally make me very anxious and trigger a sweating episode. I was perhaps more anxious than usual in this type of situation but I didn't sweat. The humidity was much lower than usual for a June day. Later at home I stayed dry through my nightly pet care and cleanup routine that normally leaves my hair soaked. So far so good.

margiehope

Ricky, wishing you well.

I also have craniofacial HH, and Avert has been a big help to me. In the most hot and humid weather I sometimes also use the Secure wipes (also from pharmacy.ca). I think there are Maxim wipes too.

If your mouth gets too dry, there are drugstore products which help with that--toothpaste, mouthwash etc.

Good luck!

Thanks margiehope. I feel much better just having them. I have a combination of 2mg and 1 mg capsules so I can experiment with the dosage and the situation I may be in. I will probably order the Secure wipes on my order. I'm also happy to note that it hasn't raised my blood pressure as that had been a concern.

The Avert didn't seem to help me in a situation at work that I was hoping to avoid. I do technical support work in an engine testing facility. Normally I just sit at my cubicle in front of a little fan all night (7pm till 7am) on the weekends. When something in the test setup isn't working they expect a quick solution to the problem. The stress of being put on the spot to find a solution combined with the physicality of the work results in buckets of sweat from my scalp, face and neck. I could tell literally no difference between previous episodes like this and the fact that I had taken 2mg of Avert earlier tonite and used a "Sweatblock" wipe. When I took this job last year, one of the reasons I chose this godawful shift is that there are very few people in the building at night except for our little group so I hoped the embarrassment of being drenched with sweat would be lessened. Needless to say I am disappointed. The Avert is helping a little but is not the magic bullet.

Zafr

Rickyberkey, I know exactly how you feel I am in the same boat my friend. I went a slightly different route then getting avert from pharmacy.ca, I went to my doc and had to do 1000 different tests (not literally but it was a lot) and when they found nothing wrong i got sent to dermo locally, sent back to my main doc for more tests sent to a really good hospital 2 hours away they give me a generic robinul. My first experiences with it were awful the dry mouth throat and nose and eyes were awful and like you it didn't work well for me at first, but I was determined to make this stuff work. You have to work yourself up to it don't just start out taking a high dose or you will be miserable for 8 hours. Eventually the dry mouth gets better, the dry eyes barely even noticable. I have some problems with urinary retention which is a side effect but its stuff you gotta put up with if you want to get this stuff to work. You need an absolutely empty stomach and you need to work your way up to 4mg or more (on hot days i was taking 6). Let me tell you once you find your dose, life is so much more manageable. 2mg will Not Cut it. Now.......if you want a real good secret.....I'll tell you my skeleton in the closet....I found that taking it orally was hit or miss sometimes if you had food in your stomach forget it. But if you inhale it through your nose like a drug addict (i know i know) it works and it works damn well and it works every damn time. But! Take Heed! more of the drug is absorbed more quickly this way, take about half as much as you would just swallowing it. It may sound like a sketchy thing but man does it work. And just to clarify i'm not a drug addict i haven't done anything like that since high school over a decade ago. as you know this stuff won't get you high anyway. I just figured I would try it since I had nothing to lose and I found a fantastic way to make sure it works. I pay 10 dollars for a 6+ month supply with insurance btw. Just tryin to help if you don't feel comfortable then by all means explore it differently, but robinul/avert DOES Work and it may not be a magic bullet but you can have a sweat free social and work life like I do now. I can go in mid 80s with a suit on and be fine. Had to go to a black tie event just a few weeks ago and it was Hot and I was in a tuxedo and I think my friends around me sweated more then I do and I drip buckets upon buckets from my face, scalp, armpits, etc etc if I don't have my robinul. Even been on dates no problem, out walking around in the summer, no problem, hiking no problem. If it gets 95 and humid out yeah ill drip sweat but around here everyone does.

BTW Sugar free lemon ricolas are fantastic for glyco dry mouth.

Sprawling

Another way it might be absorbed quickly is through the An*s. I don't mean to be gross, funny or anything like that. It may be safer than snorting it up your nose. It's worth a try and it can be a secret that nobody needs to know about.

Amherst

Glycopyrrolate is commonly used in anesthesia to prevent various bodily secretions, including drool and gastric secretions. If you inject it, you'll get the effects immediately - usually within a minute. But you've got to get it into liquid form first.