Trazodone for sleep

cowboyup

I have been having trouble sleeping for a few months. I am sleepy, but my brain just won't shut off. I was getting, on average about 3.5 hours of sleep. That was not cutting it. So I went to the doctor and he prescribed me Trazodone, 100 mg.

For me, it works. However, when I wake up in the AM, I feel like I've been run over by a truck. My eyes feel puffy and swollen, I am stuffy, wake up with headache, and feel hung-over.

Although I am happy I can sleep, I am thinking sleeping little outweighs the side effects at this point. I don't like to wake up feeling this way - I have cut back and been taking only 1/2 and only take on weekends when I don't have to watch kids.

Has anyone ever taken Trazodone, or specifically for sleep? If so, what was your experience?

*side note: I googled the medicine and know about it, but what I can read on websites is not much in comparison to personal experiences*

Alienated

Yes, I have taken it off and on for years.... Just 2 warnings.... once it gave me a boner once that wouldn't go away.

And MAKE SURE you get to sleep within a hour after taking it... It will make you sleepy for about a hour, but if you don't get to sleep .... then you are up all night.... I take in combination with a cheep over the counter sleep aid.... Diphenhydramine or Nightquil or something then I sleep all night.

Sleeping

I am having the exact same issue as you! It works, but often times I wake up feeling pretty terrible. Sometimes I wake up okay, sometimes not. This morning I feel incredibly groggy, my head is completely clouded over, and I have a little bit of a throbbing headache. I'm wondering if it's best to find something new that doesn't leave me feeling like this upon waking up.

cowboyup

Yes, I have taken it off and on for years.... Just 2 warnings.... once it gave me a boner once that wouldn't go away.

And MAKE SURE you get to sleep within a hour after taking it... It will make you sleepy for about a hour, but if you don't get to sleep .... then you are up all night.... I take in combination with a cheep over the counter sleep aid.... Diphenhydramine or Nightquil or something then I sleep all night.

Good to know, thanks! Though I don't worry about the 1st warning-I'm a girl, :thumbup:

cowboyup

Re: Sleeping

I am having the exact same issue as you! It works, but often times I wake up feeling pretty terrible. Sometimes I wake up okay, sometimes not. This morning I feel incredibly groggy, my head is completely clouded over, and I have a little bit of a throbbing headache. I'm wondering if it's best to find something new that doesn't leave me feeling like this upon waking up.

Yes! I know...ya wake up feeling horrible, right? I am thinking the same thing, trying something new.

clark24

I take 50mg of Trazodone for sleep and that seems to help me a lot. It seems to take about a half hour to kick in for me. The only side effect I've had with Trazodone so far is a bit of drowsiness when I wake up but it goes away pretty quickly.