too soon to change therapists?

reslo

I've been seeing a therapist for a month (5 sessions so far) and I definitely feel the same. I feel like all she ends up doing is watching me cry. Interactions with people still cause me a lot of anxiety. ughhhh so i don't know if I should just quit therapy all together, find someone else, or just keep going and hope it gets better. the only assignment shes given me are to breath and rate how anxious i feel from 1-10. i really dont want to go back.... but then id have to call to cancel the appointment which causes me anxiety ughhhhhhhhhhh

DeadmanWalking

If you feel like something's not working, then tell her. She won't be offended if you do. Her job is to help you. She can't properly help you if you don't tell her your progress. All this is right now is an expensive conversation. So, tell her everything you just told us the next time you see her, alright?

D

deleted #89

There is only ONE rule that you absolutely have to follow when it comes to seeing a therapist and that is that YOU are the one who decides in which direction the therapy goes. If you feel that the therapy is going nowhere you could : A- Tell your current therapist about your concerns
B- You get a new therapist and right from the start " set the rules" as where / what kind of help you want.

A good therapist will help get the answers that you want from yourself out of you. That said you are the one who will get your own answers.

I suggest CBT or Gestalt therapy.....

MikeyC

5 sessions are not enough to incur change.

I've only had 6 with mine so far and I feel no different, either, but I like her and I think she's nice, so I'm going to continue. I have 5 more rebated sessions and then I'll see what it's like after that.

If you don't like your therapist and are dreading going, change. It's got to be a place where you feel comfortable and willing to let loose your emotions. Remember, you are the one paying the big money to see her so it's your choice who you want to see.

I've been seeing a therapist for a month (5 sessions so far) and I definitely feel the same. I feel like all she ends up doing is watching me cry. Interactions with people still cause me a lot of anxiety. ughhhh so i don't know if I should just quit therapy all together, find someone else, or just keep going and hope it gets better. the only assignment shes given me are to breath and rate how anxious i feel from 1-10. i really dont want to go back.... but then id have to call to cancel the appointment which causes me anxiety ughhhhhhhhhhh

5 session isn't all that much, if the reason why you don't want to continue therapy is because you were expecting results so soon, then it doesn't make to much sense for you to give up so fast. But if you do feel you're stuck in a loop and this makes you feel uncomfortable, them you should definitely try talking to her, therapists know what to do better when given feedback. Many therapists make a habit of asking for feedback on their own, maybe you could talk to yours about instituting this rule? At the end of each session, tell her what helped you and what you liked, but also what you didn't like and didn't find helpful.
Therapeutic alliance is very important and if you feel there's no chemistry between you and your therapist, then maybe you should look for another. Sometimes it happens that two people can't create any real connection and in therapy, continuing such a relationship, doesn't get you much of anything.